Only Six Rooms – Most Iconic?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Only Six Rooms – Most Iconic?

Post by Murder by Death »

Aside from the Musical, are there any other Clue spinoffs which limit the game to just six of the nine rooms?

Of the nine, if one were going to limit a game to just six rooms, which would be the most iconic and closely associated with Cluedo?

My initial reaction is to use the first six:
1) Lounge (most call it a "living room")
2) Ballroom (who has a ballroom in their house?)
3) Conservatory (again not common or called "sun-room")
4) Billiard Room (not common)
5) Library (not common and duplicate of the Study)
6) Dining Room (compromise between having a separate kitchen)
--
7) Kitchen – Mrs. White is the argument for this room, but it is just as common as the dining room and less likely to be visited by the rest of the guests
8 ) Study – duplicate function of the library and more common in modern homes
9) Hall – possibly more unique than the dining room in homes, but then eliminates all of the food related rooms. Also, kind of generic and not a room to spend time in.

I believe the musical used: Lounge, Kitchen, Ballroom, Conservatory, Billiard Room, and Study, so it appears to be a similar rationale.

The idea ultimately is to pair the suspects, weapons and rooms, so perhaps that should figure into the selection?

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt »

I'd say Kitchen over Dining Room. It makes more sense to have a dining area in a kitchen than a kitchen in a dining room...

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

I'd have the ones from the TV series.

No one really needs a ballroom or a conservatory.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

I'd say

Lounge
Dining Room
Kitchen
Conservatory
Billiard Room
Library

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Poirotfrmda818 wrote:I'd say

Lounge
Dining Room
Kitchen
Conservatory
Billiard Room
Library
Yes! If I was limited to 6, I would choose the same ones.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev »

Lounge.
Kitchen/Dining
Conservatory
Billiard Room
Library
Ball Room

Green
Detective

Post by Green »

Lounge (I've always associated this with Mr. Green, because of the green carpet on the 1996 board.)
Kitchen (Associated with Mrs. White, for obvious reasons.)
Ballroom (Associated with Miss Scarlet, for classiness, performance, and the red carpet on the 1996 board.)
Conservatory (Associated with Mrs. Peacock, because she stands by it.)
Billiard Room (Associated with Colonel Mustard, due to the competition involved.)
Library (Associated with Professor Plum, because he is - more or less - intellectual.)
Last edited by Green on Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue »

Lounge, Kitchen, Ballroom, Conservatory, Billiard Room, Library

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak »

I'd say:

Study
Library
Billiard Room
Conservatory
Ballroom
Kitchen
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation »

Although I'm unsure which of the others would make the list, the two that simply must be there are the Study and the Kitchen. The kitchen is a traditional place in mysteries for cooks to hear mysterious noises, etc., and of course, the suspects are parading in and around the study (the traditional crime scene) at/around the time of the murder. These two elements in subpar mysteries often amuse me the most, which is why I think they're important rooms to have. Another important room is the Billiard Room to me- a classic alibi: "I was playing a game of snooker with the Colonel..."

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 »

Green wrote:Lounge (I've always associated this with Mr. Green, because of the green carpet on the 1996 board.)
Kitchen (Associated with Mrs. White, for obvious reasons.)
Ballroom (Associated with Miss Scarlet, for classiness, performance, and the red carpet on the 1996 board.)
Billiard Room (Associated with Colonel Mustard, due to the competition involved.)
Library (Associated with Professor Plum, because he is - more or less - intellectual.)
Seconded, for the same reasons.
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Green wrote:Lounge (I've always associated this with Mr. Green, because of the green carpet on the 1996 board.)
Thank you for this ... it was the next step in the pairings. After reviewing all, I think I see it this way now:

The Lounge reminds me more of Miss Scarlet, especially if it is done in shades of pink. I think Peacock does belong in the Conservatory, if only for her constitution. But the Reverend Mr. Green strikes me as slightly more serious. I would suggest Green would be found in the study conducting business, or doctoring the church ledgers. It seems the study is as iconic as some of the more unique rooms. The ballroom less so. Just look at the treatment it got in the movie. In addition, the kitchen makes more sense for a number of reasons.

The ball room, dining room and hall serve as common group areas, not as rooms where individuals would spend time alone, thus the opportunity to be alone with Dr. Black/Mr. Boddy. (notice it also eliminates the three largest rooms)

Now for the weapons ... ?

Lounge/Scarlett/Candlestick
Kitchen/White/Spanner
Conservatory/Peacock/Lead Piping
Billiard Room/Mustard/Rope (the only one I'm not 100% excited about)
Library/Plum/Dagger
Study/Green/Revolver

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

So, I'm embarking into a little art project which will use the results of this thread. Essentially it'll be the 6 characters in 6 rooms, with the 6 weapons. I want to match the rooms to the suspects colours and the weapons to the rooms. So I've updated my list to reflect the colors of certain rooms.

The billiard room is definitely one of the 6 and I want it to be green. Therefore Green must be in it, which means Mustard must be in the study and I think those choices still fit the characters. With that in mind, here is my revised list with weapons:

Lounge/Scarlett/Rope (curtain ties)
Kitchen/White/Spanner
Conservatory/Peacock/Lead Piping (from a recent repair)
Billiard Room/Green/Candlestick (to play when the power goes off)
Library/Plum/Dagger (ornamental display)
Study/Mustard/Revolver

I've also been thinking this would make an interesting game, in which the suspects all start in their respective rooms. Basically each player must exit their starting room and enter another before making their first suggestion. Since travel is only one way, the first turn send each player out of their room and into another with a roll of 4 or more. Secret passages may not be used on the first turn. Mrs. White is the only one who would require a second roll with 6 spaces to the nearest room. I may have to add a second door to the kitchen or dining room to make it fair for her, or allow secret passages to be used.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

Scarlet - Knife; both sleek, sly and beautiful.
Mustard - Rope; strong-willed with a tough grudge.
White - Wrench; under-used and underrated tool that is actually helpful.
Green - Revolver; modern-minded and quickly efficient.
Peacock - Candlestick; flashy and well-decorated with a sinister side.
Plum - Lead Pipe; dislodged and out-of-place.

Just a deeper look into it.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Well that sums it up nicely. On to the next topic :)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Adam106 wrote: Green - Revolver; modern-minded and quickly efficient.
I like the analysis. Rev. Green could add: Doesn't like to get his hands dirty – Prefers to effect change from a distance. There is only one path to righteousness.

Unfortunately with those pairings only White gets to stay in the proper room in which the weapon is found. Perhaps Plum was conducting experiments on the lead piping in the Library?