Gauging interest in a new game

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Wavey
Suspect

Gauging interest in a new game

Post by Wavey »

Hey fellas!

If you know me, creepy, since I just joined yesterday. For those who aren't stalkers: I am Wavey, I'm from the Netherlands and I've rarely played Clue/Cluedo before, but I love the game's mechanics! Hello! :D

However, there's another game that I had to think of when reading up on the game's rules again, and that is the game of Mafia, or Werewolves as some may know it by.
Mafia/Werewolves is a social deception game where an informed minority is trying to eliminate an uninformed minority. If you want to know more about it, I'll recommend you to look it up, but basically there's the Mafia and the Townspeople. The Mafia can kill people at night, and during the Daytime, people can vote on a lynch. Whoever is voted up to be lynched gets eliminated from the game. This way, the Townspeople should target to lynch the Mafia. The Mafia should at the same time try to stay hidden, play a part of the Town and survive until they have a majority over the Townspeople, where they win by killing the remaining survivors.

So now that you know some of the core mechanics of Mafia, I would very much like to tell you about a crossover game I came up with!
This game combines the two games of Cluedo and Mafia and puts them together in a very exciting roleplaying game!
  • In both games, there is one murderer. In this game, one of you guys will be the murderer, and should try to stay hidden throughout the game!
    Before the game starts, I will share a list of players in the game, and when you sign up, I want you to write '/in' in the thread, and also PM me which player you'd like to play as and if you'd want to play as the murderer.
    Like Cluedo, everyone gets a few cards at the start that are not related to the murder you need to solve, but like Mafia, one of these players is that murderer, and they know exactly which cards are relevant to the case.
    Like Mafia, the game consists of a Day and Night phase. During the Day phase, people can chat and roleplay with each other in the thread, but every player can also make one suggestion during the Day phase, like in Cluedo. When someone makes a suggestion, I will say in the thread if it can be disproved by another player, and if so, which player can disprove it, after which that player PM's the person who made the suggestion a card.
    During the Day phase, a player may also make an accusation. When you make an accusation, you need to have the entire case solved. If you did, congratulations, because you won the game! However if you are wrong, you are out. Sorry!
    Whenever you make a suggestion or accusation, please do it in bold so I can easily identify suggestions/accusations.
    The Day phase will end either when everyone has made a suggestion, or someone has made an accusation. During the Night phase, the player who is the murderer gets to eliminate someone from the game. This should be someone that they think are close to solving the case, or someone that is seen as a definite Townsperson. Chatting is also not allowed during the Night phase. I will announce in the thread when the Night phase starts, and when it has ended.
    Day Phase should usually last up to 7 days, and Night Phase should usually last 2 days.
    Note: when someone makes a false accusation during the Day, that will automatically be the player who gets killed at Night.
Win conditions: If you are the murderer, you will win when after a false accusation or Night phase kill, you are one of the last two players left. Then, you kill the remaining survivor and claim victory.
If you are a Townsperson, you will win when your accusation is right and you've solved the case.

Things about General Code of Conduct: No spamming, no NSFW, no insulting others or inflicting hate - this may be a heated game but don't take it too far - and be nice to each other since this is a game meant to enjoy and have fun playing. Also, please don't PM fellow players in the game anything but one of your cards if you block a suggestion. This is considered cheating, as you shouldn't be able to know FOR SURE what role someone has. Question to Admins: Hopefully this can be checked? Likewise, it is forbidden to post PM's sent by me in the game thread, and anything of the things I've mentioned not to do in the part above where I explained the rules.

This game could in my eyes cause some interesting strategies to evolve. As the murderer, you should try to look like a Townsperson, or at least not suspicious, AND you should act as if you are trying to solve the case, even though you know exactly what cards are related to the case, and you're not trying to solve it at all. As a Townsperson, you should not only try to figure out who is telling the truth and who is lying, but also try to solve the case, AND to avoid getting killed by the murderer.

Since this game has never been played before, I'm sure that I haven't thought about and written down everything, so if you're wondering about some aspects of the game or have any other questions, feel free to reply to this thread!
Also, if you would be interested in participating, please leave a message as well saying you're interested so I know if I should try starting the game. I'm looking for at least 5/6 players to play in the game, and up to 10 players, and also I probably won't be starting the game until the current game that is being played has ended.

This is all I have to say for now. Hopefully I kept you reading this entire thing, because it's probably on the long side! Can't wait to hear what you have to say and ask about this! :D

Wavey
"Dumb quote" - someone else

BBP
Detective

Re: Gauging interest in a new game

Post by BBP »

Very interested! Since I'm the only active mod here (Michael hasn't been seen for three months) I'll probably be the one deleting posts. If that can be combined with playing I'm so in!

chaosemerald
Spy

Post by chaosemerald »

This sounds like it could be a lot of fun, I’m in!

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

I like the idea of combining Clue with Mafia, sounds quite interesting as a game

Sir Shamrock
Private Eye

Post by Sir Shamrock »

I've actually made cards for a game like this that combined Clue and Mafia a few years ago. Big hit at parties. Never thought to play it on the forum, clever idea. Count me in!

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Have you ever posted about that before, sir shamrock? I kind of feel like I’ve seen something like this idea posted before, maybe on board game geek (not as a forum game)

Sir Shamrock
Private Eye

Post by Sir Shamrock »

Yeah it was on this page:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6878

Wasn't as fleshed out as it is now, but it's definitely a fun take on an old classic. Playing it on the forum will certainly be exciting

Wavey
Suspect

Post by Wavey »

BBP wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:08 pm Very interested! Since I'm the only active mod here (Michael hasn't been seen for three months) I'll probably be the one deleting posts. If that can be combined with playing I'm so in!
I don't think there'll be much need for deleting posts unless someone is breaking a few rules on purpose (like no chatting after you're eliminated, or no chatting at Night) / or didn't know those rules existed. Then I'm sure you can join!
Sir Shamrock wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:37 pm Yeah it was on this page:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6878

Wasn't as fleshed out as it is now, but it's definitely a fun take on an old classic. Playing it on the forum will certainly be exciting
I've looked at the thread and from my perspective it's basically Mafia but you play with Cluedo cards. Can that be right? You're still lynching, you're still looking to find someone lying but you're not actually trying to solve a murder Cluedo-style.

Now here's some more rules I had to think of:
  • When someone gets killed at Night, or eliminated by a false accusation, I will announce in thread what cards they were holding. To add a bit to the roleplaying aspect of this game, everyone can PM me a Last Will anywhere during the game, but preferably during the first Day Phase, in which they mention the three cards they were holding. Don't mention any other cards you may have seen, or any suspicions you have; just your three cards. This will be a variation to keeping the game going when someone is eliminated, besides the eliminated player still being able to show cards.
    During the Day phase, you don't NEED to wait for me to reply to a suggestion (by saying if it can be declined and by who), although waiting may give you some helpful information depending on what I say. Again, you don't NEED to wait, so should it take a long time (for me a long time is probably more than a day) you should know you can always make a suggestion.
    When someone makes an accusation, though, everyone SHOULD wait for me to approve or disprove the accusation. You should also NOT make any suggestions; I will ignore them. You are still allowed to chat and roleplay in any other way, though.
    Depending on how many players will sign up to the game, I might give each character a special ability, which they can use once in the game. These abilities will in that case either be Cluedo-inspired (i.e. "Once in the game, you may start two rumors during one Day" or "Once in the game, you get to see a card someone has shown to someone else") or Mafia-inspired (i.e. "Once at Night, you can select someone to know if they are the murderer or not" or "Once at Night, you may protect yourself, so that in case you were targeted, you won't die"). The more players are in the game, the less likely it will probably be that I will give special abilities.
Hopefully these rules add a bit more to the game!

Wavey
Suspect

Post by Wavey »

Update: I've worked out the abilities now, so I think they're ready for use. However, there's two things that make it kinda difficult to make it work and put it in a game:
1. A 10 player game where 9 players with abilities against 1 murderer seems to favor innocent players whereas a 5 player game where only 4 players with abilities against 1 murderer looks like an advantage for the murderer. How am I going to make it balanced when all the abilities in the game should be somewhat equal, without nerfing the murderer by trying to adjust the chances? I can't give some innocent players abilities and others have none...
2. I'm still unsure what distributions of abilities a.k.a. 'roles' are the fairest for everyone, but I don't think I should mention the exact distribution of the roles in the thread, as that will make it very hard for the murderer to claim an ability, so probably I should keep the distribution a secret so you only know what role you have.

By the way, I'd LOVE input from you guys, so if you have anything to add to this, PLEASE LET ME KNOW and ask questions if anything is unclear. Better now than during the game!

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Sir Shamrock wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:37 pm Yeah it was on this page:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6878

Thanks Sir Shamrock, that was bugging me where I had seen something similar before lol