Dr. Orchid's age

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Dr. Orchid's age

Post by Jonathan Green »

I've seen a lot of comments about Dr. Orchid's age, since she was adopted by Mr. Boddy when she was a teenager. Especially alwaysPeacock's comment on her:
Dr. Orchid's story, while generally fine, doesn't quite line up with the rest of the storyline given for this game. The guests have been assembled for the reopening of the house, and Mr. Boddy's 30th birthday. Scarlett's profile claims she grew up with Boddy, which would make her just about 30, too.

Dr. Orchid was "adopted as a teenager by Boddy" then "privately schooled in Switzerland" and ultimately "homeschooled by the old housekeeper, Mrs. White." She holds a PhD in plant toxicology which, generally, would have taken her four years to complete.

Let's assume she's as young as possible: adopted at 13, completes her undergraduate from 18-22, does another 4 years for her PhD (presumably Mrs. White conveniently retires/dies after the homeschooling is all done), making her at least 26 at the time of Boddy's murder. So, roughly a 13 year span of time from adoption to murder.

Which means...Mr. Boddy was 17 when he adopted her...? I don't believe there's any country Clue/Cluedo could exist in which would permit this, even if the adoptive father was Sir Hugh Black's heir.

She should have been a ward of Sir Hugh (who is mentioned in the game's summary and suspect profiles), or Mr. Boddy should have been turning at least 40-50 in this game. As it is, it's just gross.

Even if we take Orchid's label as "The Genius" to be true, and she started college/university early, an unmarried Mr. Boddy would still not be old enough to legally adopt a teenaged daughter in any sane country. Right?
I agree that she has to be in her early-mid 20s. But what I don't agree with is that Mr. Boddy was seventeen when he got her.

Let's say that Clue 2016 is set in England like the 2002 game, a person has to be 21 & over to adopt a child.
Who can adopt a child. You may be able to adopt a child if you're aged 21 or over (there's no upper age limit) and either: single. married.
Source: https://www.gov.uk/child-adoption

alwaysPeacock forgot to included the years Boddy/Black was in college. Rather he's called "Mr. Boddy" or "Dr. Black", he's still a doctor either way. Meaning Boddy wasn't 17, but 22 years old when he adopted Orchid.

As for Orchid's age, she had to be between 13 and 16 when she got adopted.
Here's my timeline of events between Orchid and Boddy

1. Dr. Orchid loses her both of her parent's at age 12 or under.

2. Mr. Boddy, a 22 year old fresh off from college, adopts a 13 to 14 year old Orchid, and sends her to boarding school.

3. Orchid is expelled from boarding school when she's 16 or 17.

4. After home-school, Orchid enters college at age 18.

5. Orchid graduates college with a Ph.D. in Plant Toxicology, which should've taken four years, making her 22 or 23.
Since Orchid is suppose to be a prodigy, she might have gotten her Ph.D. in four years

6. Mr. Boddy is murdered at age 30.

A time span of eight years.

Looking at the 2016's board, it looks like this edition takes places in the 1950s, 1954 even.
And since Tudor Mansion looks like Hill House from the movie, it must be.

If Orchid was 23 in 1954, she was born in 1931, meaning she lost her parents in 1943 or earlier. Boddy was 30 when he died, making him be born in 1924. Boddy would to have adopted her in 1945. She enter college in 1949 (Hey look at that!) and graduated in 1953.

So there, Dr. Orchid has to be 22 or 23 years old.
“Really Plum?!” - Mr. Green (Clue VCR, 1985)
IG:https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Re: Dr. Orchid's age

Post by Jonathan Green »

As her relationship with Boddy, I think it was just a normal Father-Daughter relationship, nothing creepy.
I don't think Hasbro would impale at a intestinal relationships between the Clue characters. Even in the 2000s games where Boddy and Scarlett were biological cousins, nothing was impaled that they were in a relationship. Honestly I think Mr. Boddy knew, and kept his distance.

Well in the revised Cluedo: the play script, Dr. Black did sleep with Miss Scarlett, but in that it was impaled that they weren't cousins. And he did slept with Mrs. Peacock, would might have been his step-aunt, but that wasn't the case in the play.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

So I found out you can enter college at age 16 in the United Kingdom, so add four years of college, and Orchid would have been 20 when she graduated. Meaning Orchid could still be in her early 20s when Boddy was murdered.

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming »

She won’t show her age until she’s like 50 or 60. Asian genetics are superior in that regard. 😂🤣

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

I personally am leaning more towards Orchid being a ward of Sir Hugh Black in my own Cluedo head canon - as demonstrated in this thread, the adopted daughter angle is a bit awkward even with justifications...

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

I was looking back on some old Facebook posts I made and remembered that I once made Dr. Orchid 19-years-old. She was still in College and people called her “Doctor” after her adoptive father Mr. Boddy, a physician. Like how John Boddy was called Dr. Black after his uncle Sir Hugh Black.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

It would be a lot easier if Boddy was turning 40 rather than 30, in regards to Orchid being his adopted daughter - would give a more comfortable amount of time to play around with dates - I know, that’s not based on any of the current canon though.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

coinilius wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:54 pm It would be a lot easier if Boddy was turning 40 rather than 30, in regards to Orchid being his adopted daughter - would give a more comfortable amount of time to play around with dates - I know, that’s not based on any of the current canon though.
Maybe Orchid could be Boddy’s God-Daughter? I still like the idea of Orchid being Boddy’s adopted daughter.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

I like the god-daughter angle as well, actually - would help explain how she came to be with him after her parents passed away. Changing it from 'adopted daughter' to more of a ward would also help maintain the relationship angle while also making the ages work better.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

coinilius wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:15 pm I like the god-daughter angle as well, actually - would help explain how she came to be with him after her parents passed away. Changing it from 'adopted daughter' to more of a ward would also help maintain the relationship angle while also making the ages work better.
My version of Miss Peach was originally gonna be Boddy’s god-daughter, but I opt it for her to be Boddy’s adopted daughter as well like Orchid.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

I still like the idea (for another Clue continuity) if having Orchid as a ward of Sir Black, who is close in age to Mr Boddy and so there’s more of a potential rivalry between them - he got the Black inheritance that she felt she should have had more of a piece of, something like that.