Geoffrey Parker/Dunhill Cluedo Game

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Geoffrey Parker/Dunhill Cluedo Game

Post by Murder by Death »

Moving this post to a more appropriate forum from Buy/Sell/Trade:
TheWhitePawn wrote:You get to choose the colors of the board and the rooms. I suppose the leather is easily customizable... all you have to do is switch out the colors.
Actually I think you only get to switch out the plinth and contrasting tile color. The rooms seem to be a set colour scheme ... which brings me to my question: where does the Geoffrey Parker colour scheme come from? At first I thought it came from the Super Cluedo Challenge, but now I think he's just picked 9 colours at random. Anybody got an idea if these actually tie into Cluedo's history?

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Well... this one changes some of the colors completely and all of the hues on the others...

Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

While I'm not a fan of this edition, the maroon highlights gives me less of a headache than that navy blue.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

TheWhitePawn wrote:Well... this one changes some of the colors completely and all of the hues on the others...
I suspect that was the first effort. Also it needs a bit of colour correction.

This is the Bespoke edition, the $5,000 one you can customize. The one I posted is fixed in one of two colour schemes. Notice the more muted colors, which except for the dining room are consistent colors, albeit different shades.

I'm still seeing a common colour assignment to the rooms:
Hall – light blue
Lounge – purple
Dining Room – red/black/fuchsia (definitely prefer the red)
Kitchen – dark green
Ball Room – navy blue/black
Conservatory – orange
Billiard Room – light green
Library – brown
Study – yellow

So where are these colours coming from?

Last edited by Murder by Death on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

I actually like it. It has a simplistic yet elegant effect that permeates excellently on me.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

My most hated version...
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Come on Michael... it's not THAT bad. Better than the original Cluedo.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

TheWhitePawn wrote:Come on Michael... it's not THAT bad. Better than the original Cluedo.
Exactly, it's like a coloured version of Cluedo, or indeed very like Super Cluedo Challenge (and a little bit like the 1972 US game).

Micahael, is your problem with the board or the character tokens (or both) – or the price for the design? The weapons and cards are otherwise identical to original Cluedo.

Not having played a game on this board, in one respect I am inclined to think it is too oversimplified ... the square tiles look as though it would be easy to get confused about which space you were on or where an entrance to a room is. Otherwise it seems like a fine homage to the original game board.

The player tokens however, are a matter of taste. They are exact 3-D replicas of the original card artwork, which most seem to either love or hate. In which case you are in one of two camps: Clue or Cluedo. I wonder had Waddingtons had the means in 1949 if the tokens would have always looked like this.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak »

I've never liked this edition. The price is way too high. However, most of all, the board disgusts me. It's oversimplified and the colors are overwhelming with the floor pattern.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Here's yet another one, that is extremely loud. Obviously with the red background of this very exciting leather game cube, they chose another colour to make the dining room stand out (note the kludge with Scarlett's starting space) ... but oy: fuchsia!? Now that's overwhelming!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PeachFreak wrote:I've never liked this edition. ... However, most of all, the board disgusts me. It's oversimplified and the colors are overwhelming with the floor pattern.
You think that's bad ... I'm not sure I could play THIS Swiss edition of the game without getting a bit nauseous. How would one ever keep track of their spaces on the board?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I rather like that one (maybe cuz it's easier to access the kitchen)

CMustardwPipeinLibrary
"old Mustards don't really appeal to me"

Post by CMustardwPipeinLibrary »

...which is now the Billiard Room, I think. (I don't know the language, but I'm pretty sure I can extrapolate from "billard.")

Still, it's a nice layout.
"Are you trying to make me look stupid in front of the other guests?"
"You don't need any help from me, sir."
"That's right!"

Are you gullible? Click here to find out!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

CMustardwPipeinLibrary wrote:...which is now the Billiard Room, I think.
Ha ha. Yes this is the full size board from the Swiss edition, which in the travel edition interestingly has a black & white board. But the rooms are all switched around. The billiard room is now the kitchen! My favorite is that the conservatory has been converted to a bathroom and the Lounge has been turned into a bedroom. Good thing there is a secret passage between them for those middle of the night visits to the toilet, so you're not stumbling around the mansion in the dark in your PJs. That's a sure way to meet an untimely demise.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Geoffrey Parker/Dunhill Cluedo Game

I’ve never heard of David Linley. But this appears to be a version of the Parker/Dunhill version — for only £3,750!

https://www.davidlinley.com/store/gifts ... oly-cluedo

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

coinilius wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:07 pm
Murder by Death wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:20 pm
coinilius wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:02 am I’ve always been a fan of the heads on playing pieces designs, and would love if they were incorporated as the design of the actual playing pieces.
They were actually created for the ultra luxury Geoffrey Parker édition, in sterling silver, or pewter (the pewter of which I purchased separately).

http://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=99991

I was hoping someone would post that - I had seen them before but couldn’t remember which edition and couldn’t find it with googling - were they ever sold separately or did you manage to snag a set of the figures on their own?

A more mainline produced set of something similar would be great though.
I wrote to Geoffrey Parker directly and asked them if it could buy the pawns separately. They were not cheap, but much more affordable than the whole game. I’m not sure if they still do that or not. But I do love them — money well spent. I just wish I could have afforded the Sterling Silver version. The blue on Mrs. Peacock seems much closer to the original.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

If they do still sell them individually, they pair perfectly with the 1949 Tin Edition.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

cacums wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:01 am If they do still sell them individually, they pair perfectly with the 1949 Tin Edition.
Yeah, something like these but made for more of a mass-market collectable edition such as that would be great. I find the Geoffrey Parker board itself to be rather 'blah' looking for such an expensive piece.

Personally, I like to pair the vintage Clue board (with the line drawings of the interior of the rooms) with the Cluedo cards, as I find the vintage Cluedo cards far more elegant than the Clue ones, but do like the details on the Clue board.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

cacums wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:01 am If they do still sell them individually, they pair perfectly with the 1949 Tin Edition.
Do you mean the wooden Nostalgia Edition? I’m not aware of a tin edition of the 1949 Cluedo edition. Although a black tin box 1949 edition would be an amazing addition to my collection!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

coinilius wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:42 am
Yeah, something like these but made for more of a mass-market collectable edition such as that would be great. I find the Geoffrey Parker board itself to be rather 'blah' looking for such an expensive piece.

Personally, I like to pair the vintage Clue board (with the line drawings of the interior of the rooms) with the Cluedo cards, as I find the vintage Cluedo cards far more elegant than the Clue ones, but do like the details on the Clue board.

What would a mass market version look like? Painted plastic? That would likely be similar to these which are already owned by a Hasbro.

Geoffrey Parker owns the copyright on the 3D molds, so they would have to be encouraged to do it. I’d much prefer pewter but that would drive the price up. And the bizarre licensing issues with Clue and Cluedo (even though Hasbro owns both brands) would sort of limit the markets in which they could be sold.

An ideal pack would be The original Cluedo cards and matching pawns, which could be used with any game board. Sorry — add to that weapons tokens which exactly match the original Cluedo cards (like the original 1949 first edition versions).

viewtopic.php?t=4737

It’s funny you like the line drawings on the 1949 Clue board. Do you also dislike the 1972 edition? I find that the board design we were all first introduced to tends to influence our preferences. I grew up with the 1972 edition, and as a result I think that’s why I love the GP edition — the minimal simplicity with bold colored rooms really works for me. Plus I’m not sure how you’d do a leather board elegantly with detailed room art. And I really love the actual felt in the billiard room in the original luxury edition. There’s a Dutch Edition I love as well for similar reasons.

Maybe the answer is to do something similar to the Clue giant edition with miniature gilded furniture représentations to give the rooms some character, but in pewter or precious metals.

viewtopic.php?t=4338

I do love some of the really intricate designs, like passport to Murder, etc., but I’ve never really cared for he Franklin Mint board as a luxury edition. It’s too complex such that it comes off looking sort of cheap, and not as luxurious as it should be. Then again it doesn’t cost several thousand pounds either! Haha but I’m hard pressed to imagine how it could be higher quality and really look any more expensive, regardless of the cost.