40%
Old man?
60%

Total votes: 10

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Interesting morality question.

Post by CluedoKid »

Supposing a baby and an old man are in danger. You only have enough time to save one or the other.

Now here are some interesting factors:

You do not possess the means nor necessities to care for the baby.

The old man is a kind old genius who possesses a remarkable mind capable of extensive contributions to mankind.

The baby had been reported to have a brain deformity that could possibly trigger psychotic tendencies later on in life.

The old man also has his share of health problems. He probably only has about a year or so left in him.

Who do you save?

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue »

The baby, because it has more life ahead of him, even if he is psychotic.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Well actually he doesn't. The baby will most likely die after you save it, because you do not possess the means to care for it. Babies need a lot of care.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

Do you have to care for the baby? You can give it up to an orphanage or something after you save it, can't you.

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue »

Well, I could give it to someone else. Maybe a couple unable of having a child of their own.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

I think the intention was that you are not in a situation where refuge is immediately accessible.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

Well then the baby, because even though refuge is not immediately accessible, it eventually will be.

kova
Detective

Post by kova »

Overpopulation is a big deal to me, so I am a heartless being and picked the old man. I could give the baby up but parents who adopt might be picky and the kid grows up in foster care. But unless you were close to these people, you likely won't know who to pick. The old man might feel guilty that you picked him over a baby.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

i picked the baby. If the old man was really that smart he wouldn't have gotten himself into the situation where he needed saving. The baby, most likely, was brought into the situation not of his own accord. And since the baby can't possibly help himself, I'd feel obligated to help him. Maybe the old man can still save himself.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

kova wrote:Overpopulation is a big deal to me, so I am a heartless being and picked the old man. I could give the baby up but parents who adopt might be picky and the kid grows up in foster care. But unless you were close to these people, you likely won't know who to pick. The old man might feel guilty that you picked him over a baby.
True.

Michael wrote:i picked the baby. If the old man was really that smart he wouldn't have gotten himself into the situation where he needed saving. The baby, most likely, was brought into the situation not of his own accord. And since the baby can't possibly help himself, I'd feel obligated to help him. Maybe the old man can still save himself.
Also true, considering I kind of left the situation rather open-ended.

Here's the reason why I made this poll. On the Harper's Island board on IMDb, I expressed my annoyance over how the older crowd on the show has been wiped out completely, leaving us with a bunch of generic 20-somethings for the remainder of the show. Especially since I found the older people on the show more interesting to watch (Including Mrs. Wellington.) Anyway, one thing led to another we got talking about how we live in a youth-egocentric society. Here's what one guy posted:

This is one of those stupid "morality" questions that only seem important when you're taking Philosophy 101 in college.

I'm going to be shocking--unless I've got the necessities to feed and take care of the baby, I'm saving the old man. Because in this kind of question, nobody ever considers that saving the baby initially is only half the battle. If you can't take care of said hypothetical baby, that baby is going to die, anyway. Babies need a *lot* of care.

The question also ignores any potential consequences. What if the old man can stop whatever is threatening the future of the species or saving him will save a *lot* of babies? What if the baby is going to grow up into the Antichrist or someone equally horrible? Then, DUH, you're going to save the old man.

So, no, it's not "natural" at all. Look at all the fat-cat "old" people in Congress (or Parliament in Canada) and all of the babies growing up poor in slums. Prioritize young people ahead of old people in real life? Not if the old people are rich.

I, too, am disappointed with their killing off all of the older people and leaving us with the young, vapid twits whose names I can't keep straight. It didn't help that all of the older people were portrayed as deeply unpleasant, or dodgy at best, but at least they weren't boring. I think I'd be less disappointed if it weren't so clear that Abby will probably survive--she has Final Girl practically tatooed across her forehead and I *so* want her to die slowly and painfully, screaming the whole way. I loathe her.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

The old man. I'd explain but my opinion is too biased and ridden with flaws.

CommunismJustARedHerring
Suspect

Post by CommunismJustARedHerring »

I'd save the old man.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev »

The old man.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

At the risk of being called shallow...the baby. Sorry.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation »

Heartless as it may sound, I say the old man.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime