Non-Clue Board Games

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Re: Non-Clue Board Games

Post by alwaysPeacock »

I’ve got a more than decent home library of games (not a TON like many other gamers I know, but that’s pretty evenly attributed to my consistent lack of spare funds to buy all the games I want, and the fact I don’t want to burn up whatever storage space I have by cluttering it up with piles of dusty boxes).

Before COVID & self-isolation, I made a point of hosting fairly regular game nights, and as such I’ve tried to buy games that can appeal to a range of player experience levels (while also having a strong appeal to my personal tastes, since it is my money & storage space on the line).

A few favorites:
  • Carcassonne (IMO the best option to pull out as a gateway to Euro-style games for new gamers)
  • Ticket to Ride (I especially appreciate the new Cities mini editions they’ve been releasing annually — perfect for either quickly teaching the mechanics of the original game, or as a warmup/cool down from a more involved gaming session)
  • Mysterium (an obvious choice given my long history with Clue/do — if you’re reading this, stop now & go treat yourself to the excellent digital edition, or just go ahead & buy the physical set if you happen to have at least 2 other willing players at your disposal)
  • Onirim (a brilliant & very thematic solitaire game — the mobile edition is often free-$1, and the physical set packs a whopping 7 expansion decks into the box which can be mixed into the base deck as deeply as any one player wants. Can also be a co-operative 2-player game)
  • Betrayal at the House on the Hill (this one also appeals to my Clue/do roots, design wise, but especially tickles my fancy for horror movies/stories. I recently had the pleasure of starting the Legacy edition with a few gaming friends, and I’m very, VERY excited to get deeper into those campaigns)
  • Risk (an oldie, but a goodie — currently trying to track down a proper vintage set, or at least vintage-style reprint edition, as I find the modern mini Artillery figures ANNOYINGLY fiddly compared to the old cubes)
  • Monopoly Revolution (the ONLY Monopoly I’ll willingly dust off to play, simply because I love the aesthetic of its circular board & modern, minimalist playing pieces. The game doesn’t really teach players anything except the bittersweet rush of imminent failure, so I heartily welcome the electronic banking unit in this edition)
  • Kill Dr. Lucky (I adore the “19 1/2 Anniversary” edition available at retail, but the original print-and-play version is an absolutely stellar game without the added flair of proper tokens & graphics)
  • Kingdomino (dominos meets Carcassonne is an apt summary. A very charming “Game of the Year” winner with a lot more depth of strategy under the surface than a glance at the box & contents would indicate)
  • The Game of Life (specifically the Winning Moves 1st Edition facsimile, only because the newer editions have absolutely destroyed all of the weird humor of the earliest versions, and are absolutely pointless as far as competitive gameplay is concerned)
  • Gloom (if you want a very compact game that’s absolutely dripping with theme & storytelling elements, this is THE game to buy)
  • Tokaido (a game so relaxing to play & stunningly designed, I rarely care if I win or lose. The whole “point” of the game can be distilled as: have a cooler & more rewarding vacation than your opponents in ancient Japan. That said, there’s AMPLE room for developing a deeper strategy once you’ve grasped the basic mechanics, and if you so wish)
To name a few :wink: I own many more games than these, but not counting Clue/do & its variants, these are what you might consider my heavy rotation.

As for games I seek out from a collecting standpoint, I have a soft spot for vintage editions of what I refer to as the “Old Warhorse” games. These are any of your Parker Brothers or Milton Bradley brands which were ultimately absorbed by Hasbro (think Clue, Yahtzee, Sorry, etc) which may not necessarily be technically “good” games (due to their inherent simplicity as family games designed for mass appeal). If I stumble upon a vintage set in fair-to-very good condition, I’ll buy it (snagged a truly gorgeous Deluxe Yahtzee from the early/mid-60s not very long ago).

Otherwise, I’d have to say Ticket to Ride is the only brand outside of Clue/do I make an effort to “collect.” I own every unique map available in the digital edition, and thanks to the low cost of those, I’ve been able to test-drive & decide which maps and/or unique editions are worth the expense of acquiring physically, too.

Somewhat unrelated, but a point I like to raise: for anyone interested in expanding their board & tabletop gaming experience, the digital editions of these modern games are probably the most cost-effective way to decide if you want to drop $30-$50+ on the physical editions. At most, if you go for a mobile version, you’re only out a few dollars if it happens the game isn’t entirely up your alley (keep your eyes peeled for flash sales on titles you’re considering — desktop and/or console versions will have a higher initial cost, but those often include a few expansions with your initial purchase to sweeten the deal). These digital editions include very succinct tutorials, more often than not, so you also have the added bonus of learning these deeper games without having to trudge through a massive manual.

The website Board Game Arena is also a great way to learn & play some of the most popular modern board games without any costs unless you want a membership to allow you more freedom re: hosting private games and/or utilizing customized rules & mechanics. These play in the web browser of your choice, and more accurately reflect how you would play these games in real life vs the entirety digitally designed games you’ll find on iOS/Android/Steam/Switch/etc.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

I had Mysterium but sold, I saw Psychic Detectives which has kind of the same mechanics but I think is a better game

Do you own the Betrayal At House On The Hill expansion? Widow's Walk it's called - The expansion has a Haunt that's based on Clue

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Money and storage are the two main barriers stopping me from buying a lot more games as well :lol:

I recently scored a copy of Trade Winds from Parker Brothers, the US equivalent of Buccaneer - it’s in pretty decent condition, the board has some damage but all the components are there so that’s a good thing. Buccaneer is a kind of forgotten about older game that was really quite ahead of its time, IMO, in terms of mechanics.

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

Oooh! Café International! That was a favourite at the house!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/214 ... ernational

At the café characters need to be placed. People may only sit at a table of their own nationality, and people from the same gender may not sit next to each other to maintain proper etiquette. I'm afraid it's not going to make it through the Hypersensitivity Age though.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock »

Black wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:04 am I had Mysterium but sold, I saw Psychic Detectives which has kind of the same mechanics but I think is a better game

Do you own the Betrayal At House On The Hill expansion? Widow's Walk it's called - The expansion has a Haunt that's based on Clue
I do not, but I bought it for a gaming couple I know who play Betrayal WAY more often than I get to do.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

Just got myself a copy of Awkward Guests. Seeing how it plays it looks really fun and perfect for us Armchair Detectives.

1-8 players
39 Murder Mysteries to solve (Ranging in difficulty)
Can be played with an App

It's like Clue but you are solving WHO is the murderer, WHAT was the weapon and WHY was the murder committed but there are times you may have to solve Was their an Accomplice to the murder and if so, What was the Accomplice's motive. The victim was always murdered in his Study

There are clue cards but rather than the clues having a person, weapon, motive. These are actual Clues (Using Clue Examples so you get an idea) The victim was Bludgeoned to death, Colonel Mustard said he was in the Kitchen at the time of the murder, Mr. Green's motive was Money, No one was in the Library etc

Using the App is like Clue DVD. You make your accusation on it and if you're wrong, you keep playing but the game can be played without the app, it's just that if you make the wrong accusation, you are out

https://youtu.be/G-PU_m_Lc6U

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

Update, played my first game of Awkward guests, really fun to play, well worth the money

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

It took years of searching since the game was not released in The Netherlands, but I finally, finally found me a copy of 13 Dead End Drive! The German version, to be exact, Agathas Letzter Wille, at the local second-hand store.

It was a pickle getting it set up - the center part of the upright bit doesn't match the instruction booklet. Since it wouldn't fit in the clips, I used some of those miniature clothes pegs to hold them together.
Also, some things are missing - the chandelier decals, the fireplace mantlepiece (these two are pure aesthetic) and the bookshelf ladder tipping mechanism, the top plate. So I used a larger clothes peg for that.

Now to find people to play it with!

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy »

BBP wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:43 pmNow to find people to play it with!
Viel Glück!

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

BBP wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:43 pm It took years of searching since the game was not released in The Netherlands, but I finally, finally found me a copy of 13 Dead End Drive! The German version, to be exact, Agathas Letzter Wille, at the local second-hand store.

It was a pickle getting it set up - the center part of the upright bit doesn't match the instruction booklet. Since it wouldn't fit in the clips, I used some of those miniature clothes pegs to hold them together.
Also, some things are missing - the chandelier decals, the fireplace mantlepiece (these two are pure aesthetic) and the bookshelf ladder tipping mechanism, the top plate. So I used a larger clothes peg for that.

Now to find people to play it with!
If you want it, I'm selling my copy

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

I think the postage would make that very expensive... you're in the US I think?

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

I wish, I'm in England

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy »

BBP wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:25 pmI think the postage would make that very expensive... you're in the US I think?
Black wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:33 pmI wish, I'm in England
Considering the situation with COVID-19 cases in many parts of the U.S., you might be safer in the U.K. these days.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

MajorHoy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:53 pm
BBP wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:25 pmI think the postage would make that very expensive... you're in the US I think?
Black wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:33 pmI wish, I'm in England
Considering the situation with COVID-19 cases in many parts of the U.S., you might be safer in the U.K. these days.
I know, when this has blown over, I wanna go to the states - I don't actually like living in England any more

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Postage is murder in Australia as well

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy »

coinilius wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:12 pmPostage is murder in Australia as well
Sounds like it could be the title of a mystery novel:
Postage Is Murder!

:wink:

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

Checked it out but unfortunately it looks like the chandelier won't last too many drops either.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

MajorHoy wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:06 am
coinilius wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:12 pmPostage is murder in Australia as well
Sounds like it could be the title of a mystery novel:
Postage Is Murder!

:wink:

Haha maybe it could be a Clue mystery - Mr Boddy has been killed over his Postage Stamp collection...

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

So after many months of making small changes here and there to this idea, I now have a fully updated version of the board:

This is still a rough draft in terms of quality, but I am pretty happy so far as the placement of properties and special squares go. It obviously still takes quite a bit of inspiration from jonizaak's Ultimate Monopoly, as well as a little bit from Johnny F's recent UK (London) Ultimate Monopoly thread over at Board Game Geek.

The University Space is still something that I am unsure of - at the moment, it basically goes that if you land on the University square, you can choose to pay money to 'study' for a degree. The degree's would be a card that you get with the type of degree on it. Then, every time you pass go while holding that degree card, you are entitled to collect extra money. You have to progress through the degree's in order starting with a Diploma. When you get a new degree, you would have to hand back the previous degree card, so you only have one degree card on you at a time. I'm also thinking that degree cards would probably be limited - there would be enough of the lower ones that everyone can have one, but the higher you go the more limited they would become, which would provide some incentive to pursue higher education.

There is still nine Utilities - my current thinking is that if you get three or more utilities, you can start building 'factories' on your utilities. These would use the industrial pieces from U-Build Monopoly or Monopoly City. If you have a factory on your utility and someone lands on it, they have to roll three regular dice and calculate how much to pay from that (I've tried to incorporate rolling 3 regular dice in a few more places, to help justify the 'Roll 3' space's introduction of a third regular dice).

Another new space that I have included is a 'Slow Traffic' space - on this space, you have to take away one of the regular dice before you roll, slowing you down for a turn (you would still have to roll the Speed Dice, if it's in use). The space is ambiguously worded - I kind of like the idea that you roll the usual two dice (and Speed Dice), then take away the one you don't want, giving you a little bit of choice in the matter.

PrinceAlarming
Private Eye

Post by PrinceAlarming »

I just replaced my old copy of 1313 Dead End Drive, and I'm thinking about replacing my old copy of 13 Dead End Drive. I also got Scooby Doo Betrayal At Mystery Mansion; based off of Betrayal At House On The Hill.