Books

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation »

I know that many members here love Agatha Christie's AND THEN THERE WERE NONE, so this might be of interest to you. I reviewed the book today and announced my intention of working with another blogger to write a ten-part series of articles devoted to the ten guests of Indian Island, in an attempt to disprove several myths about Agatha Christie, one of which is her supposed lack of character depth:

http://at-scene-of-crime.blogspot.com/2 ... s-you.html
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

Great idea. I look forward to reading them!
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I'm not the biggest book reader. I've been reading Agatha Christie's "A Hallowe'en Party." for two years and haven't gotten half through. Then again I only read in car rides.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

On the last night of Channukah, I got "Les Miserables", and next to a few journals, I'd have to say it was the best present. I haven't gotten too far into it (Fantine has just fallen ill and Jean Valjean is trying to decide whether or not he should turn himself in to spare another man mistaken for him) but it's wonderful literature. The story itself can be pretty depressing at times, but there's also a certain amount of hope to it, and I think it's pulled off very well.

After seeing the 25th anniversary concert for the musical on TV a couple months ago, my mom bought the DVD on-line. I've "borrowed" it at least four times already, so I might be a tad obsessed. :P The musical condenses a LOT of the story and cuts various parts out, but it's still terrific. If Les Mis ever comes to my town, I am definitely going to see it, even if it means begging my parents to get tickets. I'll probably also see the long-awaited musical movie when it comes out.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

Has anyone here ever read any of the donut shop murder mysteries? I just finished Killer Crullers, and it was really one of the best mysteries I've read. I don't know if it was because of the apple cider doughnut recipe or because of the mystery itself, but either way, I loved the book.
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

go_leafs_nation wrote:I know that many members here love Agatha Christie's AND THEN THERE WERE NONE, so this might be of interest to you. I reviewed the book today and announced my intention of working with another blogger to write a ten-part series of articles devoted to the ten guests of Indian Island, in an attempt to disprove several myths about Agatha Christie, one of which is her supposed lack of character depth:

http://at-scene-of-crime.blogspot.com/2 ... s-you.html
The first article in the series has now been posted, about Anthony Marston. My partner, Curt Evans, doesn't say much in this article but he has a lot more to contribute in the upcoming articles. Two are completely ready and the next two are in preperation.

http://at-scene-of-crime.blogspot.com/2 ... rston.html
~Ellery Queen

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

You should consider making an audio podcast. It would be interesting to listen to you two banter about the book.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

I'm actually going to be involved in an altogether different podcast, the first episode of which will be recorded tomorrow. It is an attempt by a fellow blogger to create a podcast series that brings mystery bloggers together for a discussion. The first episode will be about Sherlock Holmes. I'll post a link when it goes up online. :)
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

I participated in that podcast recording today. It was very fun indeed (although at one point a doorbell rang and actually cut me off short) and if all goes well it ought to be up by Monday. The mystery bloggers that were gathered for the panel were all very knowledgeable and we spent quite some time discussing Sherlock Holmes and whether we've seen too much of him or not.
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Well, the podcast has now been posted online! Below is my post about it, where I introduce the whole concept and say a few brief words about those who participated:

http://at-scene-of-crime.blogspot.com/2 ... dcast.html
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

I am currently in the middle of what must be the strangest novel ever to star Sherlock Holmes. "The Breath of God" by Guy Adams has Holmes duking it out with the supernatural, joining forces with "supernatural detectives" who were popular in Holmes' day. The events seem to degy logic completely and I see no way for the author to write this as anything but a supernatural story.

This also has the strangest death method I've ever come across. A man goes insane in his locked study and eats himself half to death, first on paper, then on his silk tie, and finally on his taxidermy collection... before he finally chokes to death on his own tongue.

:shock:
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Finished THE BREATH OF GOD, and I can guarantee it's a page-turner at the very least... but is it worthwhile? Honestly, if you want a proper mystery complete with a solid, fairly-clued conclusion to a tantalizing impossible crime... no. The set-up IS brilliant: a man is found dead in unmarked snow, his bones completely crushed... as though the very air around him had crushed him to death... The disappointment of the solution is proportional to the excitement of the situation, with a vague, hand-wavey answer to all the impossibilities that soon turns into an action scene that wouldn't have been out of place in the first Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movie.
~Ellery Queen

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

I can't wait to listen to your podcast. I missed that yesterday.

That Sherlock Holmes book definitely sounds odd. Sherlock is quite popular now, though, and I bet lots of hack writers are trying to cash in on the name. As a matter of fact, one man in my writer's group is re-issuing an old Sherlock Holmes book he co-wrote which was the only Sherlock book endorsed by the Doyle's estate (at least at the time.)

I just finished reading The Walk by Lee Goldberg which I really liked. The story is about a man walking home from work the day "the big one" destroys Los Angeles. The tension is constant and the characters very interesting. The ending is a bit predictable, though.

Today, I just started reading, The Wedding Gift. The story is about a slave who was given as a wedding gift. That's about all I know so far. It's definitely not the type of book I would typically have picked up, but I did and I like it so far.

I've found I enjoy reading non-mystery books probably more so than mysteries these days.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

For me, it's the opposite: the more I learn about the richness you can find in mysteries, the more eager I am to devour them!

Below is the second installment of "Ten Little Indians", zooming in on Mrs. (Ethel) Rogers:

http://at-scene-of-crime.blogspot.com/2 ... ogers.html
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Here is part three of "Ten Little Indians". Thus far, it's been the most fun essay to write, as I analyse the character of General Macarthur and then Curt pitches in with his thoughts:

http://at-scene-of-crime.blogspot.com/2 ... rthur.html
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

I forgot to post this when it first went live, but below is a profile of the butler Rogers of ATTWN. Next week it'll be Emily Brent-- and that's definitely one of the more interesting articles we've written thus far!

http://at-scene-of-crime.blogspot.com/2 ... ogers.html
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Folks, the article series I've been working on for the past bit, TEN LITTLE INDIANS, is finally finished. Below, I've linked to the post where I sum up my thoughts on the series and then create a victims' gallery, using Mr. Owen's accusation as a template (I was divided between using that or the nursery rhyme, but I finally decided to use the accusation since the rhyme appears as an introduction to all the articles).

http://at-scene-of-crime.blogspot.com/2 ... -were.html

Hopefully you all enjoy the articles; as far as I know, nobody has ever done something quite like this. It was very fun to do!
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

I managed to convince John Curran, author of AGATHA CHRISTIE'S SECRET NOTEBOOKS and AGATHA CHRISTIE'S MURDER IN THE MAKING, to participate in an interview on my blog!

http://at-scene-of-crime.blogspot.ca/20 ... t-one.html
~Ellery Queen

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

Congrats on the interview!

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev »

I kept being told that a writer must also be a reader. Up until recently, I thought this was nonsense. But I gave in and decided to try reading modern fiction for practice.

So I borrowed all the Amy Tan books the library had for a start, and read them. Then I read Jaws. Now I've started reading Robin Cook.