Hanging Maggie

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Hanging Maggie

Post by CluedoKid »

So this Wednesday, myself and a cast of 11 will be presenting a 15 minute performance to be auditioned for Arts Showcase at the school. It is the biggest art event annually in the school.

The script deals with the characters of Richard, Katherine and Maggie from Harper's Island and the implications of how the aspects of them reflect with my own character. Maggie is the main character in the piece, hence the title. It's based on an idea I pitched to the class for critique. The initial presentation went so well, the teachers had me repeat it again the following day just so they could listen to it a second time. From then on, the idea of making it into a production developed with composed music, acting and choreography.

I will be playing both Narrator and Maggie. As part of the role, I perform a jig as her character. For a final scare in the end, a dummy replica of her will be launched into the audience's faces, hanging in a noose.

I will post the script for you all here, and come February, some photographs of the production. I would like to tell more because this is such an exciting piece, but I'm too tired presently, and will elaborate closer to the audition.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

Sounds exciting. Congratulations on your success! I look forward to updates. :D

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Congrats! Sounds great.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 »

I've been excited about this since Day One when you first told me of it. How did the auditions go today?
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Please request filming for the production. I'd love to see it first hand but I don't live near you.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

PrinceAzure33 wrote:I've been excited about this since Day One when you first told me of it. How did the auditions go today?
Great, but not without issues. The pacing was terrible and went on too long. Now not totally my fault because the teacher was under the impression that it had to be 20 minutes. The reality was it had to be under 10 minutes. Richard and Katherine were originally added in to span out the play, but for the final piece, they may be scrapped.

However, it will make it into the show somehow. They are going to give it a second audition after the adjustments are made.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Today was Art Showcase: The Big Day.

The 20 hour audition piece was successfully edited down to under 5 minutes. It was now solely about Maggie and my personal experiences with a female 40+ crowd.

Three hours before the performance, I fired the dancers because I felt the performance was stronger without them. What I ended up performing was a monologue about the character of Maggie and her role as a middle-aged woman. Throughout the piece, I slowly dressed myself as Maggie by first pulling out a necklace from my shirt, then putting on a bra, stripping down my pants and replacing them with these fat thigh stretches. then I put on a black dress and pinkish blouse. Finally, on came the curly red wig.

To end the piece, I danced a jig for audience, pulled a member out from his seat to dance with, and finally concluded the performance with a dummy mock-up of Maggie to drop hanging by a noose from the catwalk in front of the audience's faces. Oh yes, there were screams! :twisted:

All this had to be performed three times in a row for different audiences.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Sounds great! I would have loved to see it!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Then you better buy the DVD. :)

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Where can it be purchased and what is the price?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Well logically, I don't think you can really buy it. I was just making small talk.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Oh lol, well it was worth a shot.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

I found this great snapshot from my Maggie performance.