Ace Attorney

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Black
Bindle Stiff

Ace Attorney

Post by Black »

Who are your top ten ace attorney characters? (If you haven't played the games, you should as they a great fun)

Also. Answer these questions.

1. What was your favourite 1st case?
2. What was your favourite 2nd case?
3. What was your favourite 3rd case?
4. What was your favourite Final case*?
5. What do you think the strongest case was?
6. What do you think the weakest case was?
7. What was your favourite moment in any of the cases?
8. What's your favourit theme?
9. Which was the best game?
10. What was the worst game?
11. What was your favourite case?

* Rise from the ashes doesn't count and the 4th and 5th case from trials and tributions count as 1 overall case
Last edited by Black on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CMustardwPipeinLibrary
"old Mustards don't really appeal to me"

Post by CMustardwPipeinLibrary »

Too many to choose from, Black. Too many to choose from. But if I had to choose, uh... (Spoilers will be in white.)

10. Viola Cadaverini from Recipie for Turnabout. She may come off as just quiet and creepy at first, but she never actually poisons you, which is a good thing. It also suggests that the tea she apparently delivered to Furio Tigre in the credits wasn't poisoned either, so it's actually a sweet gesture, if you can use that word.

9. Shelly de Killer from Farewell, my Turnabout. If there is such a thing as an honorable assassin, Shelly is that. He holds to standards - the most important of which in the case is trust - something his client, whose name I won't even mention in the spoilers, seems to lack severely.

8. Valant Gramarye from Turnabout Serenade and Turnabout Succession, particularly the latter. Partly because he's trying to carry on a tradition that's all but been abandoned (with only Trucy left - well, technically Thalassa too, but I don't think she was a major magician anyway), and partly because he's the best of the Gramarye troupe. True, he framed Zak for murder, but just compare him with the others! Zak callously tosses aside Kristoph Gavin as a lawyer, indirectly causing Phoenix Wright to be disbarred, and then abandons his own daughter, Trucy, not even so much as trying to visit her for seven years, only coming out of hiding to keep the secrets from Valant. As for the master, Magnifi, he shot himself, causing Valant to have to frame Zak in the first place!

7. Klavier Gavin from Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. He's the only prosecutor that starts out searching for the truth and not just trying to get a guilty verdict. He does so even when it's painful - even when it's his best friend or even his brother who's the guilty party.

6. Ron DeLite from The Stolen Turnabout. When you think about it, this character is serious business. First, he works as a security guard, defending his future wife from muggers. That takes some serious guts. Then, showing how much he cares about her, he tries to make extra money by selling off secrets - and when that gets him fired, he resorts to theft. True, after the first one, Luke Atmey took over the planning, but still, it takes skill to pull it off. In the end, he's found innocent when Luke Atmey attempts to use double jeopardy to escape from a murder charge, but once the truth has been revealed, Ron points out that double jeopardy now prevents him from being charged for the thefts. Obviously, he's been paying attention. Plus, I find his demeanor hilarious.

5. Adrian Andrews from Farewell, my Turnabout and The Stolen Turnabout. Of the "minor" characters, she's probably one of the most well-developed. She has reasons behind her actions - in her first appearance, her dependancy on Celeste Inpax, who committed suicide, led her to such despair that she first tried to commit suicide herself, then sought revenge. Her professional demeanor was meant to be a protective barrier against people who suspected her need to depend on someone. So naturally, when Franziska von Karma gave her a way to escape the guilt of her attempt at revenge, she latched on without a second thought, to the point where she nearly broke down in court trying not to confess her own crimes. She does get over her dependancy somewhat in The Stolen Turnabout - character development is always a positive - though it seems to have been replaced with an extremely nervous and slightly clumsy demeanor. Oh, well, it's a work in progress, which is kind of the point.

4. Franziska von Karma from Phoenix Wright: Justice for All and Bridge to the Turnabout. Think about it - she became a prosecutor when she was thirteen years old! Seriously! Think about how long she had to study. She must have had virtually no childhood! She had to deal with adult matters long before she should have had to deal with them. Also, she's had to be just as ruthless as her father in trying to get a verdict, though we don't see her actually forging evidence. I think it's just because she doesn't feel a need to. She can't have had any friends, and didn't pretend to treat anybody with respect except for those she really did respect - her father and Miles Edgeworth. It seems like sometime between the end of Justice for All and Bridge to the Turnabout, she does get a little better, as she does seem to respect Phoenix Wright, sort of. Why's she so high up on the list? I'm not sure, but probably because I have high hopes that she'll be able to actually mature and form actual friendships now - it seems one is beginning to form with the aforementioned Adrian Andrews, which not surprisingly is causing some shippers to go wild.

3. Maya Fey from almost the entire Phoenix Wright saga. She's had to keep very strong over this time what with having her sister killed and her accused, being held at gunpoint, being stunned by a taser, being drugged and then accused of another murder, being kidnapped and nearly killed by a trained assassin, watching Phoenix Wright get double-teamed and beat up, and to top it all off, having her own mother being posessed by a vengeful woman almost killing her, only to be killed herself, thus having her own mother killed, then having to convict the man that saved her in court. Even if you don't view the spoilers, that's a lot of white space. And she had to keep strong for her cousin Pearl's sake - after all, Pearl's mother Morgan wasn't exactly in any physical or mental condition to take care of Pearl - especially after that second murder, which Morgan helped plan. That takes something big. She's a lot more mature than she seems - kind of the opposite of Franziska, realy.

2. Phoenix Wright from... do I really have to say? Yeah, I didn't think so. Anyway, this guy has had a lot of accomplishments. Let me just list some of them in spoilers - he got a man convicted who could blackmail almost anyone on the planet, he defeated four different prosecutors who had never been defeated in their prosecuting careers (which ranged from forty years to the less-impressive nothing). In particular, he not only managed to defeat a prosecutor that had gone forty years with receiving only one penalty, he managed to convict the prosecutor for a crime that took place fifteen years ago! On top of that, he managed to convict the police chief of multiple crimes, avoiding a legal pitfall on the way. He managed to get an assassin who valued trust over anything to turn against his client. He bluffed that a bottle of medicine was a bottle of poison to get the murderer to say something he shouldn't have known. Time and time again, he turned hopeless positions into victories. Even when he was disbarred, he wasn't done. His plan for revenge? Change the legal system so that he could successfully get the man responsible imprisoned. (Not sure how he did this since he was disbarred, but my guess is Miles Edgeworth played a role in it. I could be wrong, though.) And it worked! Need I say any more?

1. Godot - formerly known as Diego Armando, defense attorney - from Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations. Honestly, he's just up here because he reeks awesome. From the demeanor to the past to the coffee... yeah.
"Are you trying to make me look stupid in front of the other guests?"
"You don't need any help from me, sir."
"That's right!"

Are you gullible? Click here to find out!

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

Not a bad choice.

I have to say....

10 - Dahila Hawthorn
9 - Mia Fey
8 - Ema Skye (Apollo Justice version)
7 - Manfred Von Karma
6 - Larry Butz
5 - Winston Payne
4 - Apollo Justice
3- Phoenix Wright
2- Miles Edgeworth
1 - Kristoph Gavin

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak »

Hmm. There's a lot of choices. Though, I'm really more of a fan of the Phoenix games. Apollo kind of bugged me. Mostly because Phoenix's character seemed forced....and I was an Edgeworth/ Phoenix shipper. -.-

But...

10- Wendy Oldbag
9- Damon Gant
8- April May
7- Matt Engarde
6- Jean Armstrong
5- Maya Fey
4- Detective Gumshoe
3- Phoenix Wright
2- Franziska von Karma
1- Miles Edgeworth

----

As for the other questions:

The Lost Turnabout

Reunion, and Turnabout

Recipe for Turnabout

4. What was your favourite Final case*?
Farewell, My Turnabout

Farewell, My Turnabout

Turnabout Corner

Revealing de Killer's client's blackmailing scheme.

Turnabout Sisters

Justice for All

Apollo Justice

Farewell, My Turnabout
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

CMustardwPipeinLibrary

I see there are other questions up now, so I'll go ahead and answer them.

Favorite 1st case: A tough decision for me. I'm torn between Turnabout Memories and Turnabout Trump. Both are fairly twisted for first cases - Turnabout Trump particularly so. On the other hand, Turnabout Memories has an interesting way of catching the killer (not to mention Payne's hair flying off). It's close... but I'm going to have to go with Turnabout Trump.

Favorite 2nd case: Reunion, and Turnabout; with The Stolen Turnabout as a close second. First of all, it was interesting to see the Judge have to deal with the possibility of spirit channeling in court. This is exacerbated by the fact that the channeling never took place, and could not have taken place anyway since the spirit to be channeled was still alive. As for The Stolen Turnabout, it's close because both the defendant and murderer confessed to theft to avoid being tried for murder, among other things.

Favorite 3rd case: Honestly, all of the third cases are fairly good - it's hard to choose. I mean, Turnabout Samurai has nearly everything about the case turned upside-down - the weapon, the location of the murder... even the identity of the person in the Steel Samurai costume was the person you wouldn't expect it to be! Turnabout Big Top, ironically enough, is probably the most depressing case of them all because nobody in that case is really a bad guy - even the murderer only wants revenge, and that revenge is against someone who's merely naive. The fact that the victim was not the intended victim makes it even more depressing. Recipie for Turnabout has several surprises, and one of the largest mistakes of a villain in the series when the murderer corrected an intentional mistake Phoenix made about the bottle just introduced as evidence - a mistake that he should not have known was a mistake. And Turnabout Serenade, while probably the weakest of the four, isn't that weak. It's got interesting twists, including having to deduce how a magic trick was performed. I'm going to have to go with Turnabout Samurai, though.

Favorite Final case: Apollo Justice flopped here, let me say that right now. Turnabout Succession is Apollo Justice's weakest case, in my opinion. Farewell, My Turnabout, while certainly the most dramatic case, was not a particularly twisted case. That's why I'm going to have to give this title to Bridge to the Turnabout. Like Turnabout Samurai, the entire case is twisted - and this time, it really is the entire case. The murder weapon was different. The murder location was a place that should have been inaccessible, but the body was moved via pendulum (of all things). And not only was the victim under an assumed identity, but she was channeling someone at the time of her death. And this time, you actually get to question a channeled spirit. And the Judge manages to keep up with the whole thing! No question - this is the best of them.

Strongest case: Definitely Bridge to the Turnabout. I don't think I have to elaborate further.

Weakest case: Including first cases, The First Turnabout. Not much to talk about - it's so short. If you don't count first cases, then the weakest case would have to be Turnabout Sisters. I'm sorry, but this case is so straightforward...

Favorite moment: Too many to mention. I'll just pick one. It's in Turnabout Goodbyes when von Karma claims the trial will end in three minutes. As Phoenix manages to arrange a cross-examination, von Karma screams. When asked to explain, he said, "Three minutes just passed." The Judge replies, "I see. Well then, let's just take our time." It's funny.

Favorite theme: These games have a lot of great music. As for my favorite, it's probably the Cross-examination music from Trials and Tribulations. No particular reason.

Best game: Trials and Tribulations. It had four good-to-great cases and one mini-case. Compare that to Justice for All, which had three good-to-great cases and one relatively poor case (sorry, PeachFreak, but I didn't really like The Lost Turnabout), the original Phoenix Wright, which had two good-to-great cases and two poor cases (and Rise from the Ashes, which is a great case - but not as good as Bridge to the Turnabout), and Apollo Justice, which had two good cases, one OK case, and one poor case (again, I have to differ with PeachFreak's opinion and say that Turnabout Corner was OK, though not necessarily very good).

Worst game: Apollo Justice. It's still a good game, but it kind of ended on a sour note with Turnabout Succession.

Favorite case: Bridge to the Turnabout. (Incidentally, I didn't plan to have my favorite cases for the first, second, third, and final categories be all from different games - it just worked out that way.)
"That's right!"

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

I'm sure if you know but there is going to be a 5th game.

CMustardwPipeinLibrary

Yes, but we don't know anything about it.

Or do you mean Edgeworth's game?
"That's right!"

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

Edgeworths game. Do you know when it's coming out?

Black
Bindle Stiff

Re: Ace Attorney

Post by Black »

Turnabout Trump (AJ)

The Stolen Turnabout (T&T)

Turnabout Samurai (PW)

4. What was your favourite Final case?
Bridge to a Turnabout (T&T)

Turnabout Corner (AJ)

Recipe to a Turnabout (T&T)

*Payne Losing his hair in the 3rd game

Guilty Love or DL-6 incident. (Definatly can't pick the best between these two)

Either Trials and Tributions or Apollo Justice. I can't really pick but If I had to choose, it would have to be Trials and Tributions.

Justice for all

Farewell, My Turnabout.

(Sorry if I can't remember the names, it's been 2 years since I played them)

CMustardwPipeinLibrary

Mid-February, I think.
"That's right!"

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

The four games are coming to the Wii very soon. So if you got rid of the DS games. You can get them for the Wii.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

The first game is now avalible on Wii Ware for a 1000 points.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

Justice for all is now on the Wii for 1000 points.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

I got myself a copy of the 5th game and it is completely different to the other four games and that's a good thing. I also completed the first case and some old faces are in this game.