No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 10

Adam106
Hatchet Man

The Official Agatha Christie Discussion Thread

Post by Adam106 »

So, lately Agatha Christie has become my second love (it doesn't beat Clue, of course). I'm trying to read all of her novels and short stories, and so far I've read about 12 novels and 40-something short stories.

Quite a few other members are fans of her's as well so I thought it might be about time to create a thread just to discuss her, her works, Poirot, Marple, whatever.

Anyway, discuss away. What have you read by her, what do you plan on reading by her?

Also, are the graphic novels any good?

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

All I'm doing is collecting them and keeping them in excellent condition for the near future. I've only read the one Christie book.

Quadsworth
Slueth

Post by Quadsworth »

You collect books... and don't read them. :roll:

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

Well, I still collect dolls and stuffed animals even if I don't play with them much anymore. However, collecting books and not reading them is something different; it's like collecting toasters and never using them to make toast: If you're never going to use them, what's the point in buying them? The dolls and toys I'm saving for my own children someday, or for the next charity event; still, even the ones I keep are worn-out from being played with so much when I was little, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
On topic...I think everyone knows which one my favourite is, hands down. :wink: Death on the Nile comes in second. I love how it's not just a mystery, or not just a love story, it is also about the various relationships between the characters and how they tie in to the mystery (ie, the mother-daughter relationship).
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation »

Quadsworth wrote:You collect books... and don't read them. :roll:
Uhm, yeah... The Carrs I collect are often from the 60s and 70s (one from WWII)... They're rare books too (unlike AC's, which have gone through so many editions that few are of any value). Yet, I read them. I find your actions weird, Black.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

edit
Last edited by Black on Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

Quadsworth wrote:You collect books... and don't read them. :roll:
I've got a plan, Collect all the AC / MW books that are all the same and then stop buying them, then I'll pass them down to my children and so on and so on, until the books are rare and old so they then can decide weather to keep them or not, last time I counted, I've got 38 of her books, 39 if you count "and then there were none" twice.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

Nice. I have about 60. My dad and I stumbled upon boxes of them at a carboot sale a couple of months back.

Anyway...

I'm currently reading Sparkling Cyanide. It's okay, but quite dull in comparison to most of her other's. Although, this one's characters are amazingly 'deep', so I assume Agatha spent more time developing them instead of on entertainment purposes.

Quadsworth
Slueth

Post by Quadsworth »

Collecting first edition or rare books (or clue :D )is different, and one would think that you might want to acquire books from an author that you enjoy reading.

Anyway, I have been reading her plays lately.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Appointment With Death (the play, that is) wasn't very good... I found it rather strange, particularly with her alternate solution which makes you feel you've been cheated. Her solution in the novel was rather ingenious, and far more interesting than the bland one in the play.
~Ellery Queen

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

I try to get every Agatha Christie book or movie I can get my hands on. I read her books basically whenever I can.

I have a collection of plays by Agatha Christie in a book, and most of them are really good. Appointment with Death was a pretty weak one, I must agree.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

I have the novel adaption of Spider's Web by Charles Osbourne. That's about it for plays in my collection. I've ordered Black Coffee from eBay along with some other regular novels I bought the other day.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

I own this book called The Mousetrap and Other Plays , which contains AC's most classic plays (Mousetrap, the stage version of ATTWN, Witness for the Prosecution, etc). However, there are two plays I would like to read: Murder on the Horizon (her play version of DOTN) and the new stage version of ATTWN, which sounds very...interesting, to say the least. How would I go about getting a copy of the former? The latter wouldn't be quite as easy.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I like AMIA and APFOR (with minor interest in ABITL) but I voted ATTWN

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

Heh-heh, just about everyone voted ATTWN. 8)

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

Jane Poirot wrote:Heh-heh, just about everyone voted ATTWN. 8)
I'm suprised no one said OBI.
go_leaf_nation wrote:Appointment With Death (the play, that is) wasn't very good... I found it rather strange, particularly with her alternate solution which makes you feel you've been cheated. Her solution in the novel was rather ingenious, and far more interesting than the bland one in the play.
I know what you mean

SPOILOR:
It's the same with the ATTWN Game.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

You misspelt "spoiler".
As for the ATTWN game, the alternate solution in it is actually really fascinating, and provides an alternate explanation for a certain someone's death (how's that for skating by a spoiler?). The book's original solution is the best one, of course, but I did like the one in the game.
~Ellery Queen

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

I thought it was a spoiler.

Which book is ABITL

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

It's The Body in the Library (except here, I think, "The" was substituted with "A", which, ironically, Agatha Christie mentioned as a book by Mrs. Oliver in Cards on the Table-- years before the same book was written by Agatha herself!)
~Ellery Queen

TheBilliardRoom
Detective

Post by TheBilliardRoom »

I have most of Agatha Christie's mystery novels (the only ones I'm missing are The Body in the Library, Passenger to Frankfurt, and Curtain.) I have multiple copies of most of them, I think in total I have around 85.

The most recent additions to my 'Christie collection' are four VCR tapes (Death On the Nile, The Mirror Crack'd, Evil Under the Sun, and Murder on the Orient Express) and the Charles Osborne adaptions of Black Coffee and The Unexpected Guest.

Out of the Agatha Christie novels that I have read (which, admittedly, is not a lot; mostly due to lack of time) my favourite is The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. I do like And Then There Were None as well...