Off to Walt Disney World!

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Depboy
Missing Person

Off to Walt Disney World!

Post by Depboy »

We are heading to Walt Disney World tomorrow morning, in case anyone wonders where I am in the coming week. I am looking forward to this trip, as we are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for the first time. Anyway, I will holla at you guys when we get back.

David

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Have fun! (I haven't been to Disney in five years)

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

It's been a while since I was last there, but my favourite ride was the Indiana Jones one. :D Sadly, I cannot go back because Disney has raised their prices and I am not rich. :(
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation »

Never was there, I'm afraid... Sad for me.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

I've never been either. Nethertheless, have a nice time Depboy! :)

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

I'll pass. I've got a phobia of long lineups.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

I went too Disney World in Paris, hated it, it was P!ss!ng down with rain, I had a terrible cold, spent all my money in the arcades. Hope you'll enjoy it yourself.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 »

Animal Kingdom lodge is one of my favorites. I hope you were able to get a room where your balcony faces the animals. It's amazing.

Although, Jane Poirot, the Indiana Jones ride (which is a great ride) is at Disneyland in California, not Disney World. And Black that's actually pretty cool. I've never been to Disney in Paris, although I have always wanted to go. For some reason Tokyo and Hong Kong don't really seem to hold as much allure for me, however. Perhaps because I cannot speak the language at all, whereas I know a minimal amount of French that I could perhaps get by with.

But let us know how your trip went, Depboy. I don't go to Disney as often as I used to, although I still plan on doing the Disney College Program (that'll be next fall). I'm hoping to do the one in California.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

Niteshade007 wrote: Although, Jane Poirot, the Indiana Jones ride (which is a great ride) is at Disneyland in California, not Disney World.
I got it mixed up for a moment; my bad. :oops:
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

Next weekend should be a good time to go... :)
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 »

So I actually went home for the weekend and we went to Disney today. We spent the afternoon at Animal Kingdom, and then went to Animal Kingdom Lodge for dinner (Buma). I had a nice time. In reference to Michael's comment however, I was expecting to see more gay people, but mostly I saw a lot of families from Europe.
Don't think I saw Depboy at his hotel, however, lol.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

I believe today was the Hollywood Studios day.

Saturday, of course, is the big red shirt day at the Magic Kingdom.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

My theater class will be preforming at Disney World soon... I was going to be in it but they only need tenors :evil: :evil: I'm Bass/ Baritone! :evil: :evil:

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 »

Michael wrote:I believe today was the Hollywood Studios day.

Saturday, of course, is the big red shirt day at the Magic Kingdom.
Ah, I wasn't aware that there were specific park days. I know my sister and her boyfriend wanted to go to Magic Kingdom tomorrow, but it looks like we have to come to a third cousin's graduation party instead.

Depboy
Missing Person

Post by Depboy »

We came back on Friday. Had a great time. Crowds were moderate and weather was nice for the most part. As for gay days, I did notice a lot of "family" in the parks later in the week.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

How was the AKL? Would you stay there again?

Depboy
Missing Person

Post by Depboy »

The best thing about AKL in my opinion is the lobby. We had a savannah view from our balcony but they hardly ever had any animals out there. The bed sucked so our backs hurt in the mornings. But by the end of the week we would hit the bed and be out so it didn't really matter. Boma and Jiko are very good. We had eaten at Boma before and we really like it. Jiko is more upscale and was really very good. The counter service place the Mara (?) was good too. When we go back in October we are staying at the new Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort. I want to try the Tree House Villas too. I don't think we are gonna stay at AKL again.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

That's too bad about there being few animals out. It would be nice to be able to sit on your balcony and watch them all day.

We went to the lodge to have a look around once. I agree that the lobby with it's giant windows was pretty impressive. The rest of the place, however, felt a bit less-than-spectacular.

I can't wait to hear about the Bay Lake Tower! How long are you going for that time?

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 »

Depboy wrote:The best thing about AKL in my opinion is the lobby. We had a savannah view from our balcony but they hardly ever had any animals out there. The bed sucked so our backs hurt in the mornings. But by the end of the week we would hit the bed and be out so it didn't really matter. Boma and Jiko are very good. We had eaten at Boma before and we really like it. Jiko is more upscale and was really very good. The counter service place the Mara (?) was good too. When we go back in October we are staying at the new Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort. I want to try the Tree House Villas too. I don't think we are gonna stay at AKL again.
The lobby is great. I'm disappointed you didn't see more animals. My family went...okay, it's been awhile, 6 years ago (doesn't feel that long at all), and we spent hours looking at the animals. I wonder if it has to do with the time of year though. We went in January, I don't know if they're more active because it's cooler or if there are just fewer animals than there were when I went. That has to be upsetting, though. I don't remember the bed being bad, but a bed has to be REALLY bad for me to notice.

I really loved Contemporary too, but it seems I love all the hotels. The only one I was genuinely disappointed with was Saratoga Springs. Oh, and the All Stars, but they don't really count. But definitely let us know how Bay Towers is.

And forgive me if this sounds stupid, but are the Tree House Villas reopened? I know that there closed for awhile and people who worked there could live there, and I vaguely recall hearing that even that isn't the case anymore. Actually, we rented a boat at Downtown Disney and saw that they were empty. Are they reopening them for guests? I always thought it would be so cool to stay there.

Depboy
Missing Person

Post by Depboy »

The Tree House Villas are reopening as part of Saratoga Springs as a Disney Vacation Club Resort. They remodeled all of the old structures. Saratoga is our home resort in the DVC, but we are thinking about switching to either Boardwalk or AKL. We ate dinner at the Wilderness Lodge at Artist Pointe, it was beautiful in there. Altogether we've stayed at:

Old Key West
Saratoga Springs
Boardwalk Villas
AKL

all of those we used DVC points.

But we've also stayed at All-Star Movies (yuck!) and Port Orleans Riverside.

In the fall we are staying at Bay Lake Tower for a week (birthday trip) and then I want to look into the Tree House Villas for next summer. I think we've looked around at all of the resorts except Coronado Springs and the Caribbean Beach one.