Drunk Thread.

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Drunk Thread.

Post by CluedoKid »

Inspired by a thread from some other site, and inspired the vodka and rum I was sharing with my sister, I present another topic to keep thoughts held within, so that we don't go wrecking others.

(I'm fine enough to create this topic clearly)

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

Umm, I've only got really drunk once, but it was ok since my parents were there with me (Talk about good parenting) 8)

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

The worst was after Halloween with my friend. That get together that had me puking...and in the sink sadly, not the toilet.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

Mine was a long time ago, New Years, I had too WAY too much champagne, and I just got the 2002 edition as a gift. I tried to play once (Man that was an interesting game, I wonder if I've got it on video) Long story short, I ended up losing the Dining Room card :lol:

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

2002 edition? Don't worry. You didn't lose much.

kova
Detective

Post by kova »

I have too many 2002 editions. Just because those of the foreign editions I got my hands on and the CDRom. I've been drunk too many times. I've had stories that were funny to me and no one else. I've had times where I've fallen over and couldn't sit up or stand up and fallen on my keyboard and floor. Had bruises the next day.

Most of the time I don't make an utter fool of myself.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

I think it's sad to see underage kids drinking.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Why do you find sad Michael?

It's an experience that is bound to hit sooner or later with most teenagers. Just as well, an earlier introduction may save grieving later on in life when the shock of being legal hits. I'm basing on my experience though.

Some countries in Europe have a much lower age than in North America. It could be a culture thing though.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 »

Well even Canada has a lower age than America. It's 21 here, and I'm pretty opposed to that. I don't drink often (maybe once every couple of months), but I feel that if you can go to war, you should be able to drink legally. If you're getting married, I'd like to think you could order a drink at your bachelor party. Why would I be completely capable of fighting for my country and starting a family, but incapable of making smart decisions on drinking.

I think if the drinking age were brought back to 18, there would probably be a spike in alcohol related deaths and injuries, which is probably what keeps them from doing it, but after the spike, things would level out. I imagine most people like drinking because it's illegal. Most people 22 and over don't find it as exciting as say a senior in high school or a college freshman.

I should mention that I did not drink until I was 18. I feel that if the government thinks of me as an adult, then I should be able to make decisions like one.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

I don't think you shouldn't get totally wasted, but nothing wrong with a glass or two.

kova
Detective

Post by kova »

You know I'm legal right? In Europe I drank every night because beer and wine was cheaper than tea and water. At the flat I drank tea and water. I usually don't drink more than two glasses (any more in a three hour span and I'm drunk). I have decent reflects and a better sense of direction drunk or buzzed than sober. In the states I just drink when I am worrying about something I shouldn't. I do this all the time. Like I'm worrying about a relationship that I have no control on or I've been worrying about a paper and I just turned it in. I do think I get too uptight and a few beers can loosen me up. Most of the time I stop but there have been a few times I haven't. I also pick a day that I have nothing the next day.

I did underage drink but it wasn't every weekend. I started at 19. I worried a lot more then. I also hated carbinated drinks (still do except beer) so I did more hard liquor. More social then than now.

I would suggest that the problem isn't the drinking age, it's the problems that cause people to drink. And it's different from everyone.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

I support, to an extent, the lowering of the legal drinking age to 18, but I see absolutely no value in someone 13, 14, 15 years of age spending their time in pursuit of getting drunk. Youth is too precious and fleeting. I don't think it should be wasted by getting wasted. I think peer presure is the motivating factor in youthful drinking and I find that sad. I look back at my teenage years and am thankful that none of my friends drank. We had good time just enjoying eachother's company and I think those memories will be more cherished than if I were thinking back and remembering all the times we spent sharing beers in secret behind the garage.

Sappy crap over, there are also the detrimental effects to consider. This is from medicinenet.com:

Just a few of the many dangerous effects of alcohol use in teens include the following:

Alcohol decreases teens' ability to pay attention.

The younger a person is when they begin drinking, the more likely they are to develop a problem with alcohol.

Each year, almost 2000 people under the age of 21 years died in car crashes in which underage drinking is involved. Alcohol is involved in nearly half of all violent deaths involving teens.

More than three times the number of eighth-grade girls who drink heavily said they have attempted suicide compared to girls in that grade who do not drink.

Teens that drink are more likely to engage in sexual activity, have unprotected sex, or have sex with a stranger.

Excess alcohol use can cause or mask other emotional problems, like anxiety or depression.

Drinking in excess can lead to the use of other drugs, like marijuana, cocaine, or heroin.
Last edited by Michael on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

Post by CluedoAuthor12 »

ironically enough, our health teacher just talked to us about underage drinking. he said it was really a personal choice, but I don't really have the desire to drink until I'm of a sensible age

Depboy
Missing Person

Post by Depboy »

Michael wrote:Youth is too precious and fleeting. I don't think it should be wasted by getting wasted. I think peer presure is the motivating factor in youthful drinking and I find that sad. I look back at my teenage years and am thankful that none of my friends drank. We had good time just enjoying eachother's company and I think those memories will be more cherished than if I were thinking back and remembering all the times we spent sharing beers in secret behind the garage.
I agree 100%.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation »

I'm 15 :x , and although I've been pressured a few times to drink (i.e. get drunk), I've refused. I see nothing wrong in a drink or two, but getting flat-out drunk just for the heck of it....
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Once and only once did I even get drunk... and it was so involuntary...

My soon to be sister-in-law had her baby shower two years ago and I had the punch, it was good, I had seven glasses, no one told me about the gin that they mixed....

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Michael wrote:I support, to an extent, the lowering of the legal drinking age to 18, but I see absolutely no value in someone 13, 14, 15 years of age spending their time in pursuit of getting drunk. Youth is too precious and fleeting. I don't think it should be wasted by getting wasted. I think peer presure is the motivating factor in youthful drinking and I find that sad. I look back at my teenage years and am thankful that none of my friends drank. We had good time just enjoying eachother's company and I think those memories will be more cherished than if I were thinking back and remembering all the times we spent sharing beers in secret behind the garage.

Sappy crap over, there are also the detrimental effects to consider. This is from medicinenet.com:

Just a few of the many dangerous effects of alcohol use in teens include the following:

Alcohol decreases teens' ability to pay attention.

The younger a person is when they begin drinking, the more likely they are to develop a problem with alcohol.

Each year, almost 2000 people under the age of 21 years died in car crashes in which underage drinking is involved. Alcohol is involved in nearly half of all violent deaths involving teens.

More than three times the number of eighth-grade girls who drink heavily said they have attempted suicide compared to girls in that grade who do not drink.

Teens that drink are more likely to engage in sexual activity, have unprotected sex, or have sex with a stranger.

Excess alcohol use can cause or mask other emotional problems, like anxiety or depression.

Drinking in excess can lead to the use of other drugs, like marijuana, cocaine, or heroin.
Michael,

A lot of those statistics are true, but also are a broad, one-sided view of underage drinkers and do not reflect an individual's experience. I like alcoholic beverages not for getting wasted, but for the taste itself and I can see why many people enjoy them as well. I feel so long as I can be responsible enough to drink moderation, then my choice shouldn't be under scrutiny. Yes, there has been an instance or two where I've had too much and yes, it was a very unpleasant experience. Just as well though, that's all part of life and finding your limits. Despite this, I wouldn't say my decision is influenced by peer pressure since I got introduced to alcohol at a very early age by my parents (not full out drinking, but small tastes at dinner), nor would I say that my life is spent in a pursuit of drunkenness. I'm not in support of that sort of abuse.

Of course my experience may not be the case for the teens you are used too, which in turn reflects your opinion on the matter. My question would then be, do you feel a difference in your opinion between teens who do abuse alcohol from those who approach it with a more responsible attitude?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

Your argument in itself is flawed. You can't state that you are responsible enough to drink in moderation and point out that sometimes you aren't. Likewise, you can't really refer to any teen drinkers as responsible when the very act they're undertaking is breaking the law - an inherently irresponsible act.

Part of being a teen is thinking you know more about the world than you really do. Only when you age will you really understand what goes on around you.

And don't even get me started on parents who give their teens alcohol. I can understand a sip or even a drink here and there on a special occasion. But those who allow their teens to drink openly are just begging for trouble or worse when it involves someone else's kid. Just google stories about parents who've been sued for allowing someone else's teen to consume alcohol which resulted in some accident - or death. I hate to keep pointing out how sad things are, but imagine losing everything for such a foolish decision.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Well when you put it like that, I am an irresponsible teen since I can't change the law. I just never saw the whole idea of it as either a big a deal, or something to get excited over as others tend to do. Though, I do have my prude opinions myself. I for one refuse to even learn to drive a car until I'm at least legal drinking age. I think it's insane letting people my age behind the wheels of those things. Of course despite being 16, I don't feel ready to start driving so I can't speak for others I suppose.

Anyway, I do appreciate and respect your concern Michael.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Actually, a lot of the time, I take the advice of my 95-year old grandpa on these sort of matters. He's a man of experience.