The Dark Knight

Post by Green »

Who's seen it? What did you think?

I loved it! It's absolutely brilliant.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation »

I'm seeing it with a friend tomorrow.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 »

I want to see it, but I still need to watch Batman Begins. I never can watch a sequel or remake without seeing the first/original one
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

I saw it two days ago, and I'll say this: It lives up to its reputation for being one of those rare sequels that equals/betters the original! The first movie was an introduction to Batman's origins; this movie cements the Batman franchise as not a series of pointless sequels set out to make money and nothing more, but as an actual series of movies depicting Batman's rise.
It's too bad Heath Ledger won't be around for any future Batman movies (I remember the director saying he didn't want to kill off the Joker and wanted to bring him back for future sequels); he was just AMAZING in this movie. He completley stole the show and was totally convincing as the Joker. I'm sure the new guy will be just as good, but it'll be hard to see someone else replace Heath Ledger. It's like the Harry Potter movies when Richard Harris died after making the second one and was replaced by Michael Gambon: The new guy is good, but Richard Harris' performance always comes to mind whenever I read the books.

Green
Detective

Post by Green »

I hope they don't try to bring the Joker back. Dumbledore is one thing - that story was already set in stone and Dumbledore had to be there. They're creating this story though, the Joker doesn't have to be there, so I don't think he should. Mention him, yes. Maybe even have him talk, but keep him in the shadows in his cell. The character's probably not dead yet, so there's no reason to pretend he vanished, but I just don't like the idea of bringing him back completely.

Depboy
Missing Person

Post by Depboy »

I know I am in the minority on this, but I thought it was really bad. Everyone else I talked to liked it. Christian Bale's voice when he is Batmam is sooo annoying. And Maggie Gyllenhaal rivals Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane in Superman Returns and Kiki Dunst as Mary Jane in the Spiderman movies as the worst leading actress in a movie based on a comic book. But, I liked Two-Face/Harvey Dent/Aaron Eckhart alot. My boyfriend knew I was hating it when an hour into the movie I was checking my phone to see what time it was.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

I suppose I can agree with the Rachel point; I much prefer Mary Jane from Spider Man.

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Post by chaostheory1489 »

I've seen it twice and I have to say that it's probably the best comic book movie made so far; critics are even saying it should be included in discussions about the crime genre alongside movies like The Godfather, GoodFellas, and Scarface.

The Joker was most certainly the best part of this film. You don't even see Heath Ledger on screen - he's not PLAYING the Joker, he IS the Joker. They really did justice to the Joker's character by not giving him a set origin, by making him be funny and totally horrific at the same time, and by making him completely devious. If you pay attention, about half (that's a rough estimate from memory; it may be a little exaggerated) of everything he says is a lie. Even his first appearance in the movie is a deceit.

Rachel was probably the weakest part of the movie, but that's not Maggie Gyllenhaal's fault. And Gyllenhaal definitely did a better job with the character than Katie Holmes did.

Another thing I liked: Batman ("The World's Greatest Detective") actually seen doing detective work in a film. That hasn't happened since 1989's Batman as far as I recall.

Depboy
Missing Person

Post by Depboy »

chaostheory1489 wrote:it should be included in discussions about the crime genre alongside movies like The Godfather, GoodFellas, and Scarface.
I've never seen any of those, I guess that genre doesn't appeal to me.

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Post by chaostheory1489 »

That's very understandable. The crime genre is very polarizing, because the stories they tell show some of the absolute worst of humanity, and many people can find that hard to watch.

In fact, the only reason I've watched many of them is because I plan to be a screenwriter one day - or at least hold some sort of job in the entertainment industry - and so a few years ago I began watching just about any movie I have a chance to, so as to better know what all types of movies are like. I've discovered many old movies on TCM this way that were really good, and I never would've given them a second thought otherwise.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

I've just come back from THE DARK KNIGHT. I have to say I really loved it. Heath Ledger was absolutely brilliant as The Joker, and they did him justice by not giving him a background story. Like Jack Nicholson, he could be hilarious at times, but Ledger's humour was much more sadistic. Me and my friend loved it! We spent half an hour talking about it after the movie, actually. It was worth the money.
~Ellery Queen

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 »

Depboy wrote:I know I am in the minority on this, but I thought it was really bad. Everyone else I talked to liked it. Christian Bale's voice when he is Batmam is sooo annoying. And Maggie Gyllenhaal rivals Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane in Superman Returns and Kiki Dunst as Mary Jane in the Spiderman movies as the worst leading actress in a movie based on a comic book. But, I liked Two-Face/Harvey Dent/Aaron Eckhart alot. My boyfriend knew I was hating it when an hour into the movie I was checking my phone to see what time it was.
I agree on some points, I HATED Bale's Batman voice. But Gyllenhaal was a huge improvement over Katie Holmes. I like the actress better, and although I find her less attractive, I think she did a good job. I was perhaps expecting something a little deeper the way she presented the character in interviews, but a paper-thin heroine is a paper-thin heroine. She had some good scenes, some mediocre scenes, but none of them I felt were awful. Dent was definitely my favorite part of the movie. I loved his character.

The movie wasn't perfect. It wasn't the second coming. But it was good, the best movie I've seen this summer and one that I think has a lot of staying power.

As far as a sequel goes and the inclusion of the Joker...I wouldn't, and I don't think they will either. An idea was to bring him back, but he isn't necessary. He was a good character, well played by Ledger, but it would be impossible to recast without upsetting people, and more than likely most actors worth their salt would want to stay away from the role. I say bring on new characters. The Joker's caught, why bring him back?

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

You have some very good points. Bale's Batman voice is not the best, I will agree that much.

Harvey Dent/Two-Face was one of the best things about the movie. I will admit it, I read polish translations of the comics when I was there over the summer, and other than the Joker, one of my favourite villains was Two-Face. When I heard Harvey Dent would be in the movie, I thought "Great! In this movie, we'll see him as the good guy, and maybe in the next sequel, he'll become Two-Face!". When his deformity occured, I thought to myself "Oh, great! They're going to use Two-Face in the next movie!". But when he started going on a killing rampage, I was really pleased that he was both in the same movie! My girlfriend thought the same.

Heath Ledger's Joker, as I have mentioned, surpasses Nicholson in every way. Both Jokers could make you laugh, but Ledger's Joker was much more sadistic, and his humour macabre. For those of you who have seen the movie, the word "pencil" should remind you what I mean.

As for the inclusion of the Joker in other movies, I say no. Ledger's performance is unsurpassable. He made the role his own. If they use sound bytes and keep him in a dark cell, I will have no problem. But to use him as the main villain in another movie would be a grave offence.
~Ellery Queen

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 »

Finally saw this movie, I thought it was really good, but not as good as the hype led me to believe, but this movie was defintely worth it. Great acting, good story, classic example of the Good versus Evil balance.

The best acting from this film was Heath Ledger's Joker and Aaron Eckhart's Harvey Dent/Two-Face. Heath did a good job of making the Joker realistic, and horrifying. Eckhart did a fantastic job as Harvey Dent, a tragic hero pushed over the edge.

It's a shame that Heath died, I really would have liked to see him again as the Joker.
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

I went to see it two more times, and I must restate strongly that it is officially my favourite movie of all-time. Just thought I'd share that.
~Ellery Queen

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

I don't know how many of you read MAD Magazine, but in the most recent issue, they did a brilliant spoof of Dark Knight. Even though I loved the movie, I still loved the spoof. Here's my favourite part:

(As Batman tries to get the Joker to confess)
Officer: Aha! Listen to Battyman's ridiculous growly, gravelly voice! I just figured out his secret identity!
Cookie Monster on TV: Cookie! Me want cookie!
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!