All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

cacums
Ringer

---HGTV's Design Star---

Post by cacums »

Anyone Watching it?

I can't believe

SPOILERS*** D. Paul got kicked off and they let Tracie stay on! :shock: ***END OF SPOILERS

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

I LOVE this show!

I'm so glad that Pineapple-Head won last year instead of the Surfer-Guy. He was just a David Bromstat wannabe. Let me take my shirt off... oooohhhh....

Anyway, you know that Tracie will make it through at least a few more episodes because she's already been made out to be the villian. People need conflict to keep them interested and everybody else is just playing too sweet for words, but I'm sure it's just an act.

And can I just say that I hate the judges. I want to rip Vern Yip's stupid plastered smile off his face and smash it under my shoe. They all totall SCREWED that guy last night who got bumped off. First, I LOVED that room. And they kept going on and on about how his installation of the crown moulding cost them the challenge. Um, that MADE the room. And it wasn't like it took away all the time like they were indicating. That Mikey guy did the same thing in his room... It's so rigged.

Lastly, I think it's ridiculous how they give them these insanely difficult - not to mention stupid - challenges that are nearly impossible to finish on time and then say things like, "it's totally unacceptable that you didn't finish." That or they say something like, "I don't like the way you used that mannequin as a fireplace sculpture." Well duh. You gave them the stupid challenge of using garage sale junk in their designs. I don't think that's something they normally would have done. Ultimately, I don't think the challenges really show off their skills as designers. They could be fabulous designers. Maybe they just can't decorate with junk. And really, who wants to see a show about incorporating junk into your home design.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Depboy
Missing Person

Post by Depboy »

Is it me or did the format for challenges change this season? Didn't they used to have a warehouse, where all the designers had the exact same "room" and designed it and then the judges would come in and look at it and then make their decisions? Or did I make that up? Now it seems like the judges are just seeing the rooms on TV and not in person...which I guess makes sense since they are competeing for a spot as HGTV's next tv host. Some of the stuff Kim does on Myles of Style is just cheap and tragic. I have only seen David's show once or twice. I'm rooting for flaming "It's Official, I'm Amazing" guy to win.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I remember last year they did something about a warehouse, but that was one challenge I think...

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

Yeah, they usually do one or two challenges where everyone is exactly equal. But mostly it's something stupid where everybody is on different footing - like one person (or worse - team) has to do a living room while another does a dining room...

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

O MY GOD!!!! I can't believe **** Michael got kicked off it should have been that Tracie *****! ****

Depboy
Missing Person

Post by Depboy »

At least her room had the gondola and somewhat of an Italian element. Michael's did not hablo español at all. Most of the rooms were a sh*tty mess.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

Spoilers if you haven't seen the episode:

I tell you, that ending was pure karmic GOLD! God, that Michael was so full of himself and he was treating the show like it was a sorority *****-fest. It was so totally unappealing. Didn't he realize that America wouldn't vote for someone so distasteful. And the end where he was crying, "I want my mom." was just classic. I was horribly embarrassed for him.

I will say, however, that I did like his room. And I HATED Tracee's. And I liked the Budhist Temple interpretation as well. Didn't much care for that first one that the judges said was sooo good. I thought it was BLAH. And Mikey's Thailand interpretation was not Thai AT ALL. Tum is Thai and we were sitting there going WTF?! It looked more Japanese. And I don't think all the Zen this and Zen that is a Thai concept either. He should have gotten a big FAIL. All he had to do was throw a buddha in the room and you've got instant Thai.

The judges are morons.

Finally, once again I thought the "theme" challenge screwed people over. Why couldn't they have just said, "here, you have identical rooms. Make them pretty in your own way." Then everybody would have really been on equal footing instead of giving them the stupid country challenge. It's too bad that Michael didn't pick some bizarre foreign country thinking he'd be going there to learn about the culture. "Um, I choose Guinea-Bissau ." Hahahaha....

I hate Vern Yip.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Michael wrote:And I liked the Budhist Temple interpretation as well.
Ok, I'll have to argue with that one, I agree with Cynthia Rowley(?) about it looking like a castle that a four year old made out of cushions. :) It's not that I have anything against Buddhist Temples it's just that the rest of the room was plain. Maybe a plant or Ivy. The only room I seemed satisfied with was (can't remember her name) with the hand drawing designs and swirls...

And Yes, I hate Vern Yip also, but I actually saw him frown in this episode.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

(i'm a little late)

I was going to vote but I forgot. I'm shocked at the results :)

Depboy
Missing Person

Post by Depboy »

I for one know I will not be watching Jen's show when it premiers...What a letdown.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I always give their show a first try and if it appeals to me I'll watch it again. Frankly when the bunch came out for the first episode I was waiting for Clive to say that he's just kidding, these aren't the real contestants and send out the real bunch :wink:

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

Depboy wrote:I for one know I will not be watching Jen's show when it premiers...What a letdown.
I agree. She had a few nice rooms, but she's dull with nothing truly original. It'll be just another boring decorating show. Like the fifty others on the channel.