Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Congrats!!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation »

Does the whole world hate me this week? After the dramatic events of early this week, a hacker has gone and destroyed my very favourite website. This comes on the heels of yet another bad day. Joy.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

And which website would that be?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I'm not sure I would feel comfortable revealing my favorite one... 8)

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 »

EDIT: joke wasn't worth it. Stupid censors on this site lol.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

It's one you guys probably haven't heard of, devoted to the discussion of Golden Age msyteries. Now, the page that pops up is something about this hacker believing in Islam, no USA, and so forth. Really stupid and just plain mean.
~Ellery Queen

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

I've made the right choice the other day, and because of that choice, I am now retired.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Today I went to the ravine behind the school, took off all my clothes and ran around in the snow completely naked. Sorry, but I didn't take photos.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

:shock: Holy...I can't find the right words to describe that...

...unless you're pulling our legs. :P
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

lol

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

My audition went very well yesterday- I performed a monologue from Timon of Athens, when Timon (a rich man, easily flattered, foolish with his money, and loses everything, but his 'friends' will not help him in his hour of need) confronts the guests at a feast he serves where there is only water and stones.

At any rate, I hope to land a role in Othello- I love it way more than Hamlet, and Iago is the ultimate villain. But I have a callback for both productions.

And if I'm any good a judge of directors' reactions, those who saw my audition seemed taken aback. Perhaps the note of particular fury in my voice at one point did that?
~Ellery Queen

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Congrats! Auditions are very stressful.

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum »

Is the Sims 2 website working for anyone? Because I tried going there tonight and it keeps saying 'The connection is reset'..
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Well, callbacks today were a total waste of four hours of my life. The first two were callbacks for Hamlet, and since I wasn't too desperate on a role in it, I didn't make myself much of a presence- I read for Guildenstern a few times, and the gravedigger/clown, but apart from that, nothing.

Turns out that hoping to be Iago in Othello was a total waste of my time. If I'd known, I wouldn't have bothered staying behind. Basically, all the guys' roles are now girls' roles, and vice versa, probably because there are more girls than guys.

AUGH!

I desperately hope that I'm not cast, because I don't want to be a j*rk, and I won't be able to stand being in such a production. You guys should've heard the girls reading for Iago. Either it was an over-the-top gangster-ish voice, or a syruppy sweet girly voice.

Oh, and Othello is not necessarily black. Way to defeat the play's purpose, Mr. Director Sir.
~Ellery Queen

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak »

Speaking of Shakespeare, I'm currently writing the most pointlessly long and overly complex essay on Hamlet ever.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

go_leafs_nation wrote: Othello is not necessarily black. Way to defeat the play's purpose, Mr. Director Sir.
I actually saw a production of Othello where Othello was not played by a black person, but by an aborigional, and it worked very well because the lead was an outstanding actor and the message got across loud and clear.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

A white girl Othello amongst a whole group of white people sort of eliminates that, though. Unless they go with the one black girl who was there, but her reading honestly wasn't very good.
~Ellery Queen

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

She can always go in blackface.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

The story of Othello is basically the story of my eighth grade experience (minus the deaths). It is something girls can relate to personally; in every high school or junior high school, there is a female Iago who manipulates her classmates and puts on a sweet smile while doing it. The reason for that particular direction would probably be to make it relatable to anyone who has ever gone through that sort of experience.

There are many different directions to take a Shakespearen play--or any play, for that matter--and the traditional, classic way is not the only way, and you'll never know what works or what doesn't work until you try it.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

If Iago chides his wife in a voice that sounds like a McDonald's employee asking if you'd like fries with that, or if he makes an apparently heartfelt speech in a highly sinister and overdpme tone, it doesn't matter whether it's relevant or not. It's a mistake many make about Iago- he doesn't act sinisterly around everyone when he manipulates them. He looks, listens, and talks sympathetically. At least, that's what you think. When he's with Roderigo, he pretends he cares about this guy's hopeless infatuation with Desi (which is a shortened version of her name I really like). When with Othello, he pretends he is his loyal servant. When with Cassio, he pretends he wants to help him and Othello patch things up. Only when he is alone onstage does he remove all his masks, and admit to being a manipulative villain ("And what's he then that says I play the villain, when this advice is free I give, and honest?"). He isn't a total devil who talks like Robert DeNiro in Cape Fear. He's a guy everyone trusts, who was once genuine friends with Othello, but got jealous of his friend's great success. No one I heard got that voice quite right. Then again, what's my input worth? I'm not the director. Whatever.

Either way, I wasted my time pointlessly, and that makes me mad because I rescheduled my entire day around this. I've prepared my audition for months just to be informed that I don't qualify for a role because they decided to switch everyone's gender. Would've been nice to know that before the audition, so I could've gone for more of a role in Hamlet.

Either way, I have a splitting headache and I'm just upset at the big waste of time today has turned out to be. I'm going to bed.
~Ellery Queen