Current Thoughts

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

Nice inverted colours, go leafs! :D
Also, I feel frustrated--I have this idea for an Umineko fanfiction that, if done correctly, would work really, really well, but before I can write it I need to watch more episodes of the anime and watch the visual novels on YouTube. *sigh*
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation »

Thanks; since I got thrown overboard, I thought I might as well do that.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Slow day at home, slow day on the forums.... I guess either my life is boring, or everyone else is extremely busy

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

Mea maxima, maxima culpa. Before I explain, a little backstory: My sisters are apparently incapable of handling just one baby (one nearly a year old, the other under three months) for more than five minutes by themselves; they both have husbands who often go to work. Can they handle a baby alone? No. They are always calling to get my mom to come over and help them out with their babies. Just when my mom gets home after looking after one baby, she gets a call from the other. My oldest sister isn't quite so bad about this, but the second oldest is worse; she calls even when her husband is home because she is convinced he does not know how to properly bathe a baby, hence my mom always has to go over to help bathe the baby. For Christ's sake, my oldest sister could bather her son alone just fine!
It wouldn't be so bad if they were calling for my mom's help just once in a while, but here's the thing: They call every night. The only sister that calls more frequently than the older one is the second oldest one; 99% of the time, the Caller ID displays my second oldest sister's number and she's always asking where my mom is. As a result, she comes home grouchy and exhausted and overall stressed out. Hearing the phone ring 24/7 is just about driving me insane.
This is where the guilt part comes in: I was fed up with them constantly calling and I felt like smashing the phone, but I didn't. Instead, I let it off the hook for three hours (I should add we have three phones with Caller ID, and a standard phone). I only intended to let it off the hook for maybe ten or fifteen minutes and then hang it up, except I forgot and now all of the phones with Caller ID that were connected are dead, and we only have one working phone. My mom says it's not a big deal because the others just have dead batteries that can be replaced, but it turns out my sisters left her a ton of messages and now she has to go over and help them out.
Now I'm feeling MAJORLY guilty; what if something was seriously wrong with the babies? More often than not, there is no emergency, but what if there was? Part of me wonders if I should tell my mom that my letting the phone off the hook was no accident, though another part of me thinks she might have figured it out already. What to do? Tell my sisters to stop relying on us so much and go to a parenting course? Ask to sell the other phones and only keep two?
Sorry for ranting so much, I just had to get that off my chest.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

go_leafs_nation wrote:Hey! Roger Ebert gave A Christmas Carol 4 stars! That's another good sign...
I'm going to the cinema later tonight to see it. I can't wait! :)

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

About my phone crisis, my parents weren't mad; they said they would often forget to hang up, too.
About the movie, I've seen it, and it's very well-made, and one of the most imaginative versions yet (which is to be expected from the director of the Back to the Future films, of course), and I thoroughly enjoyed it. :D The ghosts, however, freaked me out. :shock:

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Please God, let this be a good movie... (keeps fingers crossed)
I'm overall skeptic about 3D technology, though, which I consider one of the most distracting things ever made for movies, though-- the scratch-and-sniff movies were probably even more distracting though.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

The 3-D effects are put to good use; the movie would've been perfectly fine without them, but they are well done here, such as the illusion of snowflakes falling into the theater. However, it may have been just because of the awkward positioning of my 3D glasses over my regular glasses, but there were times where the effects didn't reach their full potential.
I remember reading about the scratch-and-sniff technology somewhere (but I forget which movie it was applied to), and my opinion is thus: The scratch-and-sniff effect should only be saved for stickers and children's books. End of story.

On an Umineko-related note, is it bad of me to actually want the villain to win? It isn't because the hero is unlikeable or anything (far from it actually; he is one of the better developed characters); it's because the villain is a sheer bad@ss. 8)

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Something hit me today... Some people probably used to say that the President would be black when pigs could fly... and now the swine flu...

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

go_leafs_nation wrote:Something hit me today... Some people probably used to say that the President would be black when pigs could fly... and now the swine flu...
Ugh, my dad uses that 'joke' all the time. :lol:

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

Story planning can be complicated; first, I had this idea for the Umineko fanfic I mentioned at the top, then I wasn't so sure if I really wanted to go with that and came up with something better. I know I should watch the Visual Novels since they're available in English on YouTube, but I keep putting it off.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Adam106 wrote:
go_leafs_nation wrote:Hey! Roger Ebert gave A Christmas Carol 4 stars! That's another good sign...
I'm going to the cinema later tonight to see it. I can't wait! :)
My parents saw it and loved it... I didn't go (by mere choice)

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot »

Trust me, it's worth it.
In other news, the Death Note theme is made of Epic Win. 8)

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak »

Attention, drivers:

The big, glowing "Student Driver" sign on top of my vehicle is meant to tell you that the teenage boy behind the wheel does indeed not know how to drive well. Therefore, please stop driving so close behind me and honking because I'm actually driving at the speed limit.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

CMustardwPipeinLibrary
"old Mustards don't really appeal to me"

Post by CMustardwPipeinLibrary »

Very informative, PeachFreak, but maybe you should post it somewhere where more drivers in your area are likely to see it.

That being said, congratulations!
"Are you trying to make me look stupid in front of the other guests?"
"You don't need any help from me, sir."
"That's right!"

Are you gullible? Click here to find out!

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak »

Yeah, I just feel like complaining. This lady followed me for blocks honking her horn every four seconds.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

Congratulations, PeachFreak. Although I'm sorry to hear you've become the subject of other people's road rage.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Congrats!

I'm going in for mine in January... my permit that is...

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

I'm one of few people who doesn't want to drive in their life. I'm not a car fan. Actually, cars freak me out a lot of the time. Often I think if there was one place I wouldn't want to die, it's on the road.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 »

I love driving. I will admit that I was scared at first, I think most people are, but having driven for a few years now I have to say I really enjoy it.