Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

ZachBlack000
Junior Detective

Re: Cluedo-Based Recipes

Post by ZachBlack000 »

BBP wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:17 pm
ZachBlack000 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:18 pm

Then why did you censor the L-word?
I didn't censor any words. As pointed out in the quote that CPG posted, this board is in a software package that you can download so you can have a forum at your own website. The package is PHPBB, about the most widely used forum software package. With it comes this theme, the smileys and all the php coded so you can easily run a forum.
Contained in the PHPBB package is forum censorship. Some words are blacklisted - aside from the ones you picked up, there is h.e.l.l., p.o.k.e.r., p.h.a.r.m.a.c.y, m.o.r.t.g.a.g.e. and r.i.n.g.t.o.n.e. that I have seen being censored at forums.
As you may gather from that, the prime reason is to protect users from spammers - mainly bots who use links to dangerous content like Trojans or ransomware by censoring specified clickbait words.
The censorship can be turned off or removed or altered (so that we can talk about a fireplace instrument that could be used as a murder weapon that happens to have the same name as a card game) , but only people with administrator authorization can do that.
Oh, sorry, my bad. :oops:
And another question, can you alter it, so some of these words can be acceptable, I mean there's just some of them that shouldn't be censored, such as "p.h.a.r.m.a.c.y", "m.o.r.t.g.a.g.e.", and "r.i.n.g.t.o.n.e."

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

Glad to know that when we make Clue stories or Clue games, we can have a G-String as a weapon but not a Fireplace Poker xD

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

Black wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:39 pm Glad to know that when we make Clue stories or Clue games, we can have a G-String as a weapon but not a Fireplace Poker xD
Dammit, it would have been funny if Poker got censored

ZachBlack000
Junior Detective

Post by ZachBlack000 »

Black wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:39 pm
Black wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:39 pm Glad to know that when we make Clue stories or Clue games, we can have a G-String as a weapon but not a Fireplace Poker xD
Dammit, it would have been funny if Poker got censored
Yeah. :lol:

BBP
Senior Detective

Post by BBP »

It's not but it is.

To summarize, no there is absolutely nothing I can do about anything on the forum that's related to the way the forum functions. I can only edit or delete other people's posts, and ban users.

ZachBlack000
Junior Detective

Post by ZachBlack000 »

BBP wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:17 am It's not but it is.
To summarize, no there is absolutely nothing I can do about anything on the forum that's related to the way the forum functions. I can only edit or delete other people's posts, and ban users.
OK, got it, thank you, BBP.

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy »

ZachBlack000 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:34 pm
BBP wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:17 pm . . . Contained in the PHPBB package is forum censorship. Some words are blacklisted - aside from the ones you picked up, there is that I have seen being censored at forums.
As you may gather from that, the prime reason is to protect users from spammers - mainly bots who use links to dangerous content like Trojans or ransomware by censoring specified clickbait words.
The censorship can be turned off or removed or altered (so that we can talk about a fireplace instrument that could be used as a murder weapon that happens to have the same name as a card game) , but only people with administrator authorization can do that.
And another question, can you alter it, so some of these words can be acceptable, I mean there's just some of them that shouldn't be censored, such as "p.h.a.r.m.a.c.y", "m.o.r.t.g.a.g.e.", and "r.i.n.g.t.o.n.e."
Well, you can still say "hell", "poker", "pharmacy", "mortgage" and "ringtone" as long as you know how to enter them.

ZachBlack000
Junior Detective

Post by ZachBlack000 »

MajorHoy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:44 pm
ZachBlack000 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:34 pm
BBP wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:17 pm . . . Contained in the PHPBB package is forum censorship. Some words are blacklisted - aside from the ones you picked up, there is that I have seen being censored at forums.
Well, you can still say "hell", "poker", "pharmacy", "mortgage" and "ringtone" as long as you know how to enter them.
Oh, thanks for letting us know.