Laura Bow and the Mechanical Codex

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

BBP
Detective

Laura Bow and the Mechanical Codex

Post by BBP »

A topic for the new Laura Bow game in the making!

http://ninezyme.com/

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Re: Laura Bow and the Mechanical Codex

Post by Jonathan Green »

So BBP, I found some concept art for the game. I hope you like it.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/oOoYEq

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

I made this topic since I knew there were fans of the game here (there are community playthroughs of it) but unfortunately now the game won't happen. Too bad...

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy »

BBP wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:08 amI made this topic since I knew there were fans of the game here (there are community playthroughs of it) but unfortunately now the game won't happen. Too bad...
Any idea why it won't happen? :?:

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

Laura Bow's a borrowed IP. Like all the other staples from the same company (King's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Gabriel Knight) they're currently owned by Activision which means you can't make a game without their express permission.

Activision had largely abandoned the Sierra IP until the mass Kickstarter campaigns for adventure games by Tim Schafer, Al Lowe and others became a success, but unfortunately due to inadequate funding and general troubles other Sierra IPs only got inferior games, so now Activision doesn't want to make another adventure game.

They're still going to make a game with Laura Bow but it'll be a "safer" genre, not an adventure.

Laura Bow is unique in comparison to other games since it has a story that plays itself and depending on your adventuring skills (eavesdropping, finding stuff) you can either get a decent result or miss out on most of the story altogether (or getting yourself killed in all sorts of amusing ways). Making it not an adventure is bizarre. It's like making a block puzzle of Assassin's Creed.

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy »

BBP wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:53 amLaura Bow's a borrowed IP. Like all the other staples from the same company (King's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Gabriel Knight) . . .
Man, I haven't heard about (or even had any reason to think about) "Leisure Suit Larry" in ages! 8)

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

No? There was a Kickstarter campaign called "Make Leisure Suit Larry Come Again!" in 2012 that I backed, for a remake of LSL1 . Unfortunately the animation wasn't up to par but it was great to hear Jan Rabson again!

Anyway it turns out I fell for their April Fools joke since I have a lot of other things on my mind right now, so I guess I'll wait for the next news before I post an update.

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy »

BBP wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:08 amI made this topic since I knew there were fans of the game here (there are community playthroughs of it) but unfortunately now the game won't happen. Too bad...
BBP wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:53 am . . . so now Activision doesn't want to make another adventure game.

They're still going to make a game with Laura Bow but it'll be a "safer" genre, not an adventure . . .
BBP wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:59 am . . . it turns out I fell for their April Fools joke since I have a lot of other things on my mind right now, so I guess I'll wait for the next news before I post an update.
So, I'm assuming we're back to this from February?
BBP wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:05 amA topic for the new Laura Bow game in the making!

http://ninezyme.com/

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

Yep. Still not much news but I'm happily waiting.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

I'd never played or really seen either of the Laura Bow games before this thread, but videos on the Colonel's Bequest kept turning up as suggestions on YouTube :lol: The mood and artwork in that game are top notch, I'll have to try and play through it one day as it looks quite nice - same with the sequel, but the Colonel's Bequest art direction really grabbed me.

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

Make sure to play it lots of times... And save early, save often!

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

BBP wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:43 am Make sure to play it lots of times... And save early, save often!
I played quite a few other Sierra games back in the day, like Leisure Suit Larry and Police Quest - you learn to save quite a lot :lol:

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

Haha, yes... I've played and still play quite a few. My favourite game series has become Gabriel Knight but I also love Leisure Suit Larry, Shivers and Phantasmagoria and King's Quest and Space Quest and Gold Rush . Been a member of various Sierra fan forums 'n all. Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of playing Police Quest or Quest for Glory yet, but hey, now's the time!

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

I only just discovered Gold Rush recently as well and fell in love with it instantly! I will admit, It was mostly for the nostalgia seeing as it was a classic Sierra game I hadn't come across before, so it was a blast to play though, warts and all.

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

Gold Rush is fun, but incredibly mean with random deaths. :) I was already playing GR in the early 90s but last year I completed it for the first time, it's so hard!

I can really recommend both LBs - they have a bit of a different setup from other Sierra adventures in that ingame time will pass when you come in a certain room at a certain point. It is possible to pass through all games without ever having a clue of what's going on (very likely to happen first time you play it). I like the first one best, it's more subdued than LB2 which has some pretty violent deaths.

I can (and do) talk Sierra for hours, usually I do that at the SierraHelpPages forum.
http://www.sierrahelp.com/forums/index.php

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Thanks for the link, will have to check that out!

There is also a Laura Bow style game being worked on called The Crimson Diamond which looks interesting

Edit: Not surprising, there is a thread on the Crimson Diamond over at the forums you linked before, though the discussion seemed to take a bit of a turn.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Found some fan-art of Dagger of Amon-Ra: