Goth

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Post Reply

Are you goth?

yuppers
0
No votes
nuhuh
10
91%
I really dont know!
1
9%
 
Total votes: 11

CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17444
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid »

MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:also, no goth in his/her right mind, thinks they are better than anyone else, in fact they are irritated how the rich snobby prep's think their better than EVERYONE else...


People are like that. Let it go. Your right though humanity becomes odd once they become rich and junk
Image

CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17444
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid »

MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:
NTD Mouse wrote:Y'know, I think I'll just give up trying to have a decent conversation with people that are younger and less mature than myself. I find it impossible, they get so ticked off at you if you voice your opinion like I was. I don't care to understand goths as others explain them. I'll see goths as how I know them personally.
AMEN! He gets it...the rest of you need to find something better to do than worry your little preppy heads on how others feel....and i don't even know what i'm responding too because i didn't bother to read those last like 5 really long posts in this thread...

Whats there to worry about?



I wasnt expecting 5 extended posts on a harmless topic.


btw Mrs.White, I think we both has different opinions on what is a goth. we probably both are right/wrong...lets agree.............................................................to disagree.



btw as for the tiny Mouse, when repling to 13 years old, dont expect decent conversation, and dont get your knickers in a twit.
Image

User avatar
MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:30 pm
Location: MI

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy »

Michael wrote:Perhaps for the opportunities it affords them.
your right, when the girls wear their short aberocrombie skirts, they do get awarded for their whor eness
Image
Silence in Black and white

CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17444
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid »

I never liked people like that. Sad to say a lot of the girls in my school will probably become that.
Image

User avatar
Michael
Mastermind
Posts: 6128
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 pm
Location: NYC & Atlanta

Post by Michael »

MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:
Michael wrote:Perhaps for the opportunities it affords them.
your right, when the girls wear their short aberocrombie skirts, they do get awarded for their whor eness
I'm not sure what you mean.

But it is a simple fact of life that society is going to look down on a "goth" individual based on perception. I don't know why this thread only seems to focus on goth or prep (aren't there other styles out there?) but let's imagine both of them show up for a job interview. Which is more likely to get hired - in ANY position?!

More positive individuals will project a more likable demeanor that will open more doors and offer them more life opportunities.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

User avatar
MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:30 pm
Location: MI

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy »

i know a million places the gothic person would get the job...but thats just the thing, all of you percieve goth as this style, all black, chains, leather and lace...and piercings and what not....where as a lot of gothic people aren't even like that, but it's all of "the outsiders" (because goths think their so much better according to you) who assume that "goth" means all of those things, and it really really doesn't.
Image
Silence in Black and white

CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17444
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid »

MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:i know a million places the gothic person would get the job...but thats just the thing, all of you percieve goth as this style, all black, chains, leather and lace...and piercings and what not....where as a lot of gothic people aren't even like that, but it's all of "the outsiders" (because goths think their so much better according to you) who assume that "goth" means all of those things, and it really really doesn't.


wait wait, i hope this dosnt apply to me, cuse I never preceived goths that way. Just to make that clear.
Image

User avatar
Michael
Mastermind
Posts: 6128
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 pm
Location: NYC & Atlanta

Post by Michael »

So where does the label "gothic" stem from?
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

User avatar
Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer
Posts: 2537
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 8:50 pm

Suicide

Post by Lord Caspen »

Michael,

I agree that suicide is selfish, but I disagree with the connotation of selfish.



And I want to rethink my position on suicide.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

User avatar
Michael
Mastermind
Posts: 6128
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 pm
Location: NYC & Atlanta

Post by Michael »

MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:... (because goths think their so much better according to you)
Where did I suggest that?
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

User avatar
Michael
Mastermind
Posts: 6128
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 pm
Location: NYC & Atlanta

Re: Suicide

Post by Michael »

Lord Caspen wrote:Michael,

I agree that suicide is selfish, but I disagree with the connotation of selfish.
I'm not sure I follow what you mean? Can you elaborate?
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

User avatar
Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer
Posts: 2537
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 8:50 pm

Selfishness

Post by Lord Caspen »

Michael,

Sure. In order for me to explain what I think selfishness is, first let me explain what I think sacrifice is. Sacrifice is giving up something valuable in exchange for something comparably worthless.

So, if I'm a rich man and I give five hundred dollars to my church tithe, and I let everyone know, that's not a sacrifice, because I enjoyed the value of my fellows' esteem in exchange.

If I'm a poor man and I give all the money I have to the church tithe and say nothing, that is a sacrifice. I don't get esteem, I don't get to eat, and in the long run if I don't eat I probably don't even end up feeling very good about having given my money away.

If I'm a poor man and I spend a good part of the money I have on my lover, leaving me enough to eat and using the rest for lavish gifts I know will bring him joy -- on the premise that knowing my labor and nothing else caused his joy -- that is not a sacrifice. I don't lose or directly imperil my life by my choice, and I gave not because I was compelled by faith or by my lover's demands, but because I got a return on my investment.


Sacrifices, as such, are immoral, because they require a reduction in one's overall accumulated value -- ultimately in terms of the sheer quality of one's life.

Selfishness is the refusal to make sacrifices. It is the process by which one gives with the expectation of a return on investment. Rational selfishness is the process by which one may reasonably expect the return in this lifetime, since it cannot be rationally assumed (that is, assumed without faith) that there is any life but this one. The rationally selfish person also refuses to make of anyone else demands to which she herself does not submit. (i.e., the rationally selfish industrialist does not dump waste irresponsibly, since it demands other people to deal with its toxicity, and she herself would not want to be put in that position)


Suicide is selfish, because it is a point-blank refusal to give up what one values, the time while one is alive, for something one does not, the saving of others from the pain of one's absence. I am beginning to think, however, that in nearly every instance suicide cannot be rationally selfish, and being irrational, is no more moral than sacrifices are, for all that it is selfish.
Last edited by Lord Caspen on Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

User avatar
MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:30 pm
Location: MI

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy »

Michael wrote:
MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:... (because goths think their so much better according to you)
Where did I suggest that?
to answer your question...
Colonel Gray Poopond wrote: Like we are all stupid or wierd beacuse we don't understand you. You know, I can't stand people who think others can't except them for who they are, but can't except others for who they are themselves.
that was too what i was referencing michael, the you i used was a plural you, as in, all of you.
Image
Silence in Black and white

User avatar
Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer
Posts: 2537
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 8:50 pm

Michael

Post by Lord Caspen »

Michael,


In an earlier post, you said,
Are you trying to suggest that "Goth"s are living under some sort of higher level of conciousness that only they have the faculty to comprehend?

I honestly find such naivete' amusing.
And I burst out laughing.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

User avatar
Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer
Posts: 2537
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 8:50 pm

Oops

Post by Lord Caspen »

Mrs. White, you said ...
MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:
Michael wrote:
MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:... (because goths think their so much better according to you)
Where did I suggest that?
to answer your question...
Colonel Gray Poopond wrote: Like we are all stupid or wierd beacuse we don't understand you. You know, I can't stand people who think others can't except them for who they are, but can't except others for who they are themselves.
that was too what i was referencing michael, the you i used was a plural you, as in, all of you.
... and I think you've made a mistake. The person who wrote the quote you used was Colonel Gray Poopond, while the person who asked "Where did I suggest that?" was Michael.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17444
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid »

How amusing :lol:
Image

User avatar
MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:30 pm
Location: MI

Re: Oops

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy »

Lord Caspen wrote:Mrs. White, you said ...
MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:
Michael wrote: Where did I suggest that?
to answer your question...
Colonel Gray Poopond wrote: Like we are all stupid or wierd beacuse we don't understand you. You know, I can't stand people who think others can't except them for who they are, but can't except others for who they are themselves.
that was too what i was referencing michael, the you i used was a plural you, as in, all of you.
... and I think you've made a mistake. The person who wrote the quote you used was Colonel Gray Poopond, while the person who asked "Where did I suggest that?" was Michael.
yeah....thats why i clearifyed that my YOU was a plural you, referring to all
Image
Silence in Black and white

User avatar
Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer
Posts: 2537
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 8:50 pm

Ah

Post by Lord Caspen »

If that's the case, Mrswhite, then you were rude in lumping Michael and Gray Poopond together.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

User avatar
Michael
Mastermind
Posts: 6128
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 pm
Location: NYC & Atlanta

Post by Michael »

Actually, I don't see how either of the statments imply that - to paraphrase - we (pluralistically) think Goths think that they are better than everybody. As for my own statement that Lord C. pointed out... it wasn't a statement at all, but a question which arose from Mrs.White's suggestion that we (again, in the plural sense) couldn't understand the lifestyle. Obviously, I can't! But oh well...
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

User avatar
Michael
Mastermind
Posts: 6128
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 pm
Location: NYC & Atlanta

Re: Selfishness

Post by Michael »

Lord Caspen wrote:Suicide is selfish, because it is a point-blank refusal to give up what one values, the time while one is alive, for something one does not, the saving of others from the pain of one's absence. I am beginning to think, however, that in nearly every instance suicide cannot be rationally selfish, and being irrational, is no more moral than sacrifices are, for all that it is selfish.
Ahhh... You articulate your points well. 1) Were you a philosophy major? and 2) I wasn't thinking of saving other's from the pain of one's absence, but more like the fact that the when one shoots themselves in the head, they're probably going to stain the rug! Think of the time, money and effort it's going to take to clean... :)
Last edited by Michael on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Post Reply