Which was the best mansion?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Best Mansion

Boddy Mansion (Clue VCR)
No votes
Hill House (1985 Film)
45%
Tudor Mansion (Clue 2002, FX, Mysteries)
36%
Arlington Grange/ Hall (UK Game show, CD-i, PC)
18%
Brindabella Homestead (Aussie)
No votes
Abbey's Mansion Hotel (French)
No votes
Schloss Leonberg (German)
No votes
Döinge hus (Swedish)
No votes
Rosa Bella (Portuguese)
No votes

Total votes: 11

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Which was the best mansion?

Post by Jonathan Green »

Which was the best mansion in Cluedo/Clue?

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy

Re: Which was the best mansion?

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc »

gotta love the movie version. if master detective's country house was an option tough. i would have picked that.

Sir Shamrock
Private Eye

Post by Sir Shamrock »

I gotta go with Tudor Mansion, it has all the classic rooms and a drawn out history.

Arlington Grange and the VCR house are a VERY a close second. The VCR mansion is great, especially the dinning room, but its missing 3 of the 9 rooms. Arlington Grange does of perfect job of mixing the vintage aspects of Clue and the "modern" world of the early 1990s, but again, needs more rooms.

And the Hill House is nice, but it just has way too much stuff going on with all the windows and roof points

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock »

Ditto for Tudor Mansion. The exterior actually tries to match up with the interior (and mostly succeeds, I think), and I will never not love the expanded terrain & world building offered up in FX and Mysteries. Pushed further to pick a favorite depiction, I tip my hat to the board from the DVD game (despite the underwhelming animation included on the DVD itself, the board is a work of art on par with the Super Cluedo Challenge board, IMO).

But Hill House is definitely a very VERY close second. Just because of how much I love the movie.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I had to go with Hill House. I adore the feeling of abandonment and isolation. The first floor is a brilliant arrangement of the board. I've always thought the second floor felt like a Scooby-Doo mansion, which gave the 'searching' scenes that classic mystery vibe, especially with those maze-like spires and towers in the attics.

Tudor Mansion is a close second. I am a huge fan of the grounds depicted in FX and the DVD Game. But, in my opinion, Mysteries gave it that town drama/Desperate Housewives feel that just doesn't go with the lonely country mansion vibe. A nearby town is fine, but I always felt there was too much of a neighborly feel.

TheButlerButInnocent
Snoop

Post by TheButlerButInnocent »

I have quibbles with each of the mansions (rich coming from an apartment renter, I know), but Hill House comes ahead with the most pluses from me.

That is in no small part due to the movie being able (and also, the movie's requirement) to show what the game boards and game shows either left to the imagination or omitted. Where are the secret passageways? The movie shows us. Why isn't there a bathroom or bedrooms? The movie takes us to the bathroom, takes us upstairs, downstairs, to the attic. Whereas some boards have sparsely decorated and furnished rooms, Hill House is a mostly cohesive mansion with a solid New England aesthetic that, I feel, translated the movie well from its British source to an American setting. (Side note: is the movie the first time Clue/Cluedo explicitly was set in the US, as opposed to the UK? Which came first, the movie or the VCR game?)

Setting the movie during a dinner party on a stormy autumn day keeps the guest indoors, but I am convinced that Hill House has grounds equal to those of FX. This is one of the few areas that the movie's mansion leaves something to the imagination.

If and when this new movies comes around, I will be very interested to see the production design for the mansion. Will the rooms have a sparse, contemporary aesthetic? Will they lean into the haunted house side and give us a creaky, dusty mansion?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

I’ll just leave this here:

https://www.vox.com/videos/2018/11/13/1 ... orror-icon

Interesting video about the Victorian mansion. And of course Hill House is included.

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc »

Murder by Death wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:43 pm I’ll just leave this here:

Interesting video about the Victorian mansion. And of course Hill House is included.
Ohhh thanks! good video. I never new the hystery of why Victorian mansions are related to horror and spooky themes. Makes since why it's perfect for Clue.

TheButlerButInnocent
Snoop

Post by TheButlerButInnocent »

Lord Leo Le Blanc wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:58 pm
Murder by Death wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:43 pm I’ll just leave this here:

Ohhh thanks! good video. I never new the hystery of why Victorian mansions are related to horror and spooky themes. Makes since why it's perfect for Clue.
This was one of the reasons why I found "Tudor Mansion" such an underwhelming and irksome name for an estate. Mansions in the Tudor style are not bad, but naming a mansion in the Tudor style "Tudor Mansion" seems uninspired (almost as much as naming your the Boddy family estate "Boddy Mansion"). And yet, there were few Tudor-specific flourishes to the mansion's representation, at least in the early-aughts-Clue-canon variation. This bumps up into the evergreen topic of "US or UK?" for Clue(do)'s setting. Is the UK variant a Tudor mansion and the US variant Victorian? What about those estates outside the US-UK swath of the world? Does anyone know the names of the houses given in non-Anglophone games?

Not to say that Hill House is an inspired choice, but at least it is alliterative and fun to say, which settles nicely within the movie's framework. As far as estate names go, I would say that Hollinghurst Manor reigns supreme with Arlington Grange a close second.