TAoM Invasion of the Spambots

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

BBP
Detective

Re: TAoM Invasion of the Spambots

Post by BBP »

The whole point of some spammers is to increase occurrences where your site is named, thus getting a better Google index.

And I can recommend you'd better not risk opening a spammer's post. Unless you like spending days restoring your computer and searching frantically for your backups of precious family photos.

Miss Amelia Peach
Snoop

Post by Miss Amelia Peach »

Ding ding ding...there is a new spambot, and I'm pretty sure it posted about 15 or 20 of spam

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

It became a bit more. My boyfriend has been sweet enough to join forces in battling spam here, but I went to visit him and so neither of us had time for a few hours... which is unfortunately a few hours too many.

Fortunately he taught me a lot about these spambots and how they work. The entire IP-range that this spammer came from just got banned here.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Thanks so much to you and your boyfriend for the hard work getting rid of all the spam, BBP - sucks that it takes up so much of your time, we appreciate all the hours you put in to keeping this site clean.

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

There's been a large influx of spammers over the last four days. Fortunately unlike me my BF actually knows what he's doing and he managed to ban quite a few tor ends (not sure what that is). A lot of spammers are getting in but can't post because their IP has been blocked.
Unfortunately the amount of IPs at spambot's disposal is always more than we ban.

Again I'd like to ask you:
Don't reply to spammers. It's not funny and they can never read you (they're bots) but it means I'll have to delete the post you make. Plus it makes my work a little harder.

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

Thanks to my BF we have managed to block a great amount of spam IPs - the amount of spammers signing up is getting smaller.

Unfortunately they can still get in - like Brianraw, a bot that sent us all a PM. Don't open it and throw it away to be on the safe side.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Saw that before and deleted it straight away :?

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

Dear members,

I have received a handful of reports on spammers who don't post here, but post only some members a PM.

Thank you to goatmeal and chaosemerald, who have both reported one.

Please report spammers you find to me - then I can ban their U/N, IP and mail addresses.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Some of these spam bots are getting almost poetic now:

'till the activity was pretty done, and the footwear stood equipped to be used upon the desk. this become long before dawn; and then they bustled away as short as lightning'

That almost gets deep there, at the end :lol:

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy »

coinilius wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:49 am Some of these spam bots are getting almost poetic now:

'till the activity was pretty done, and the footwear stood equipped to be used upon the desk. this become long before dawn; and then they bustled away as short as lightning'

That almost gets deep there, at the end :lol:
Or they are very disconnected, like the one by conglee titled "virtual phone service":
"Osmanthus fragrans tea is a kind of precious flower tea made from exquisite tea billet and fresh osmanthus
virtual phone service" <linked, but I ain't touching that to see what it links to>

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

There is at present an influx of spammers that post spam replies. If you see them, please flag them to help me delete them!

I also just "hunted" some spammers by checking members that only have 1 post. I found a few but in a topic about guns I may have deleted a proper post by accident. My apologies.