Clue Add-ons/Spin Offs

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Sir Shamrock
Private Eye

Clue Add-ons/Spin Offs

Post by Sir Shamrock »

The section is to share any ideas for spin off games you created with Clue pieces and/or things you added on the game to spice up a round of Clue

Sir Shamrock
Private Eye

Re: Clue Add-ons/Spin Offs

Post by Sir Shamrock »

I like to take the Clue Master Detective or VCR game suspect cards and create a game called Clue Mafia. First you pick out a random card and show everyone, that is the murderer. You then put it back in the deck and deal out one per person. Everyone looks at their hands, and the person with the special card is the murderer. When everyone has seen their card, they all put their heads down and "go to sleep". The murderer then taps on someone to kill them. After the murderer has acted or about 10 seconds, everyone but the victim wakes up. Then for two minutes people argue about who they think the murderer is, while the actual killer tries to throw everyone off. At the end of the round, everyone votes to kill someone off. If they kill the murderer, then they win! But, if they kill an innocent survivor, then he is killed off, and the murderer starts a new round. The game plays until either the murderer or everyone else is killed. Its a fun party game :D

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

This would be a great place to revive the rules to "Self-Played Cluedo" :D

Let me go searching for the rules... :wink:

---

Additionally, I'm a fan of murderer/accomplice in MD/Super Cluedo -- where you put two suspect cards in the solution envelope.

Sir Shamrock
Private Eye

Post by Sir Shamrock »

I haven't tried this yet, but I've been toying with the idea having 2 pains that represent Inspector Brown and Ash. They would be placed on the vacant starting spaces between Mustard and White, and Plum and Scarlet. They wouldn't be suspects, but someone could move them around to get in the way of the regular six. Kind of like the reporter and dog in Super Sleuth (I presume). This could make room for 7-8 players in all. But like I said, I haven't tried it before, so it may just ruin the game.
Last edited by Sir Shamrock on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

Sir Shamrock wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:35 pm I haven't tried this yet, but I've been toying with the idea having 2 pains that represent Inspector Brown and Ash. They would be placed on the vacant starting spaces between Mustard and White, and Plum and Scarlet. They wouldn't be suspects, but someone could move them around to get in the way of the regular six. Kind of like the reporter and dog in Super Cluedo Challenge (I presume). This could make room for 7-8 players in all. But like I said, I haven't tried it before, so it may just ruin the game.
So, they would be dealt cards, and have a turn to try and solve the murder as well? That's all well and good, however, they would never be called into a room, which is both good and bad. Sometimes getting called into a room would get me closer to a target room I wanted to go into, while other times, I would intentionally call another player into a room to keep them from getting to a room I knew they were headed to. Other than that, it's an easy way to add characters to a traditional board. One could also use a set of MD cards as well, and just discard any unused suspects, weapons, and rooms.

Elrond
Slueth

Post by Elrond »

I've wanted to create a sequel to the 2003 version of Clue featuring 14 suspects: the 10 from DVD + Peach, Gray from FX plus Rose & Brunette/Brown. I've tinkered with various ways to do it over the years, but really haven't come up with a satisfactory element.

I've also been recently thinking about doing add-ons to the DVD game. Still finishing final touches on the "DVD Game without the DVD" but I've thought about either adding cases with the current materials or designing alternatives cards (with alternatives codes on the back) to be used with different cases. Peach and Gray would definitely be included in those! (their absence is STRANGE!)

Sir Shamrock
Private Eye

Post by Sir Shamrock »

Sir Shamrock wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:35 pm I haven't tried this yet, but I've been toying with the idea having 2 pains that represent Inspector Brown and Ash. They would be placed on the vacant starting spaces between Mustard and White, and Plum and Scarlet. They wouldn't be suspects, but someone could move them around to get in the way of the regular six. Kind of like the reporter and dog in Super Sleuth (I presume). This could make room for 7-8 players in all. But like I said, I haven't tried it before, so it may just ruin the game.
I've been thinking and going along with this, depending on how large the group is and what they want to do, you can add pawns that represent different characters in the game.

Now they wouldn't be trying to solve the murder, but maybe trying to slow the others down until morning (or 45 minutes in real time). So if more than 6 people wanted to play, they wouldn't get any cards but could still be involved.

Each pawn could have their own special aspect like:

Mr. Ashe/Miss Peach/others- Have the player(s) roll the dice twice and move around in order to get in the suspects way.

Sgt. Gray/Commissioner Forrest/Sgt. Red Herring: Each turn move them to an adjacent room (counting secret passageways) without rolling. Any suspect caught in the same room as them will lose a turn.

Inspector Brown: Each turn move him clockwise one room. Once a suspect is ready to make an accusation, they must be in the same room as him.

Some pawns would be easier to find than others like Sgt. Gray and Miss Peach, but making your own is pretty fun.

That being said these are just some ideas, not sure if it would actually work in practice. Do you guys know of any more suspects that would fit in here?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

Sir Shamrock wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:04 am
Sir Shamrock wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:35 pm I haven't tried this yet, but I've been toying with the idea having 2 pains that represent Inspector Brown and Ash. They would be placed on the vacant starting spaces between Mustard and White, and Plum and Scarlet. They wouldn't be suspects, but someone could move them around to get in the way of the regular six. Kind of like the reporter and dog in Super Sleuth (I presume). This could make room for 7-8 players in all. But like I said, I haven't tried it before, so it may just ruin the game.
I've been thinking and going along with this, depending on how large the group is and what they want to do, you can add pawns that represent different characters in the game.

Now they wouldn't be trying to solve the murder, but maybe trying to slow the others down until morning (or 45 minutes in real time). So if more than 6 people wanted to play, they wouldn't get any cards but could still be involved.

Each pawn could have their own special aspect like:

Mr. Ashe/Miss Peach/others- Have the player(s) roll the dice twice and move around in order to get in the suspects way.

Sgt. Gray/Commissioner Forrest/Sgt. Red Herring: Each turn move them to an adjacent room (counting secret passageways) without rolling. Any suspect caught in the same room as them will lose a turn.

Inspector Brown: Each turn move him clockwise one room. Once a suspect is ready to make an accusation, they must be in the same room as him.

Some pawns would be easier to find than others like Sgt. Gray and Miss Peach, but making your own is pretty fun.

That being said these are just some ideas, not sure if it would actually work in practice. Do you guys know of any more suspects that would fit in here?
I suspect it would work about as well as it does in Cluedo Super Slueth. But instead of the game itself moving the Hogarth, the Inspector, and the Dog, players would do it.

I guess the big question is whether most people want to introduce that level of strategy into the game, as well as whether merely obstructing other players is a satisfying role to play in the game.

Although it has nothing to do with Clue, Museum Caper sets up one of the players as the thief, who’s job it is to obstruct the others — so perhaps if the added players were given incentive to win in the same way, that might make it more interesting for them.

Perhaps check out those two games for ideas about how to adapt those unique aspects to a regular game.