Parker Brother's Mystery Game

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Mystery Game On Hasbro Websites

Post by Murder by Death »

Murder by Death wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:30 am
alwaysPeacock wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:38 am I would only be concerned if these were being marketed alongside their name brand counterparts. So far, that's clearly being avoided, and you can't find any official listing for these products online. So it's all much ado about nothing.
Here’s something interesting. Looks like Mystery Game, along with all the rest have ended up on Hasbro’s official Latin American website, alongside regular Clue games.

https://shop.hasbro.com/es-lam/product/ ... 608AEAD2D3

I also thought it was interesting to put the $5 price tag into context against Hasbro’s current retail offerings. Basically, the Grab & Go game is the same game at the same price, and essentially a nicer edition, with everything in a plastic carrying case. The standard game is only $4.99 more. It’s almost as if Hasbro is exploiting its less affluent customers by maximizing profits at their expense while offering them even less than the equivalent Clue branded product sold by higher-end retailers.

https://www.hasbro.com/en-us/toys-games ... e%3Aclue))

I also found a listing online for a trademark registration of “Climb & Slide” dating from April 2017, which not only dates these games creation, but supports my theory that they hope to limit Chinese knock-off game’s options for competing on name recognition.

https://trademarks.justia.com/873/98/cl ... 98917.html

I’d love to do a proper patent and copyright search to see exactly what Hasbro has been filing with respect for these games. Though I think it would be a stretch to get a patent on any part of this game, it is interesting that they seem to have reduced the gameplay to the PD aspects of the original Pratt patent filing. The secret passages were added later.
The US Hasbro website has removed Clue Grab & Go from its website, leaving the standard game for $9.99 as the only corporate offering. The Grab & Go game series (MSRP $4.99) is still available for other popular games like Trouble and Monopoly. And Clue G&G is still available on other foreign sites.

So I wonder if Hasbro has an updated travel game coming with a higher MSRP, or if they intend Mystery Game to be the new budget/travel version? Unfortunately if they sell Mystery Game only in dollar stores, they’ll lose a lot of sales. Maybe they think the square box is portable enough?

If they’re going with the generics as the new budget/travel model, then I wonder if we’ll see Monopoly as the “Own It All” Game, in which case they have to be really careful since the game was ruled to be in he public domain decades ago and all they have is the brand trademark to set it apart.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Re: Parker Brother's Mystery Game

Post by alwaysPeacock »

Travel editions of Monopoly have always been horribly fiddly little things (I have two, a UK travel edition similar to the travel Cluedo in a plastic suitcase, and a US travel junior edition). I hope they never make another one, unless they can come up with a cost effective way to replicate the electronic banking unit.

Also, Hasbro's websites never fail to crack me up. I'm amazed they're actually publicizing these Parker games in certain markets. I have to wonder what their endgame is with their web presence. Some items have outdated specs, some have lengthy, interactive overviews, some have no listing at all unless you check another market's version of the site. It's pretty pathetic, especially when compared to Winning Moves, Days of Wonder, and Asmodee's own marketing efforts.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

scary harpy
Suspect

Post by scary harpy »

I have no problem with a simplified Clue titled “Mystery Game”.
I have a problem with laziness.
There must be 10,000 words for colors and this is the best they can do???
Hasbro has better name variations in Clue editions for different countries. They couldn’t recycle them?
They could have used the patent as a guide: Dr. Black, Nurse White, Mr. Gold, Mrs. Silver, Mr. Brown, Miss Grey and etcetera. So much they could have done.
I’m not thrilled with all the room-names…but they will do.
Yeah, I am going to buy it…for fun.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Waddingtons Mysterio Game

Since Hasbro is trotting out the Parker Brothers brand to market budget Clue knock-offs, I thought they should give Waddingtons equal time.

So here's the UK edition: Mysterio Game with Father Pine, and Mrs. Lily.

And of course Waddingtons would have a white character, not a pink one. Likewise, the Parker Brothers edition should also have a white character:

Mr. Sterling Silver
Private Eye

Post by Mr. Sterling Silver »

I picked this up today at the local Ollie's Outlet for even more of a discount: It cost $1.99! I figured I could spare a couple of bucks just to have a copy that I could show to people while saying incredulously, "Look at what they did!!!" :shock: (A couple of years ago, I bought that Clue Elimination Nerf gun thing for the same reason. :lol:)

Holy Lilliputians, Batman! Is that who this thing was made for? The notepad sheets are ridiculous, they're so small. And the "tokens" are smaller than my thumbnail -- my pinky thumbnail. The cards are about the size of a postage stamp.

I question other aspects, too, that would not have affected production costs to revise or include: Who's the victim? They could have given the vic a name. Speaking of names, why is General Umber the only suspect who has a first name (Mathias)? Couldn't they have included given names for the others? And echoing other members' comments: Why "Theatre Room" when "Theatre" would suffice? Why "Rubie" instead of "Ruby"? Why "Azul" rather than "Azure"? At least, azul really is a word, unlike rubie, but If you're going to use the Spanish/Portuguese word, take it all the way and call her "Senorita" or "Menina."

I don't mind the characters (I've always been a "the more the merrier" type), but their bios are as flimsy as the game itself. (Actually, flimsy is an understatement to describe this slapdash, rinkydink affair.) I do like the full-body shots and descriptions being on the back of the board, which is often blank space.

Ah, well, I'm only out $2, and I have a "novelty" for my collection. :)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Mr. Sterling Silver wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:22 pm I picked this up today at the local Ollie's Outlet for even more of a discount: It cost $1.99! I figured I could spare a couple of bucks just to have a copy that I could show to people while saying incredulously, "Look at what they did!!!" :shock: (A couple of years ago, I bought that Clue Elimination Nerf gun thing for the same reason. :lol:)

Holy Lilliputians, Batman! Is that who this thing was made for? The notepad sheets are ridiculous, they're so small. And the "tokens" are smaller than my thumbnail -- my pinky thumbnail. The cards are about the size of a postage stamp.

I question other aspects, too, that would not have affected production costs to revise or include: Who's the victim? They could have given the vic a name. Speaking of names, why is General Umber the only suspect who has a first name (Mathias)? Couldn't they have included given names for the others? And echoing other members' comments: Why "Theatre Room" when "Theatre" would suffice? Why "Rubie" instead of "Ruby"? Why "Azul" rather than "Azure"? At least, azul really is a word, unlike rubie, but If you're going to use the Spanish/Portuguese word, take it all the way and call her "Senorita" or "Menina."

I don't mind the characters (I've always been a "the more the merrier" type), but their bios are as flimsy as the game itself. (Actually, flimsy is an understatement to describe this slapdash, rinkydink affair.) I do like the full-body shots and descriptions being on the back of the board, which is often blank space.

Ah, well, I'm only out $2, and I have a "novelty" for my collection. :)
$1.99!? How the heck did a $5 MSRP game drop to less than $2 in less than two months of being on store shelves!?

Yeah, it's been mentioned in the thread that this game is about the same size as Hasbro's Grab & Go series, and previous travel games. So the tiny cards, and parts are nothing new to Clue. The problem is, there was no point in making them all this small for the size of the package they sold them in. I guess a little extra paper really makes a difference in profit?

The suspects bios could be more fleshed out, but they're satisfactory for what they are, and clearly written for the original cast. Overall, for a travel game of this size, I think it's a steal for what it is. Just change the names of the characters which line up perfectly with the original cast, and you've got a decent little game of Clue. Heck I'd play it as is (with my aforementioned mods), and delight in stating "It was Sir Ube, with the Golf Club, in the Theatre Room" with my tongue firmly planted in cheek.

That said -- $1.99!? Even at that, they're still clearly making a profit, or they wouldn't sell it for that little. Or it's not selling at all and they want it off the store shelves.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Just got It at Big lots, it's bigger than I thought.

Sir Shamrock
Private Eye

Post by Sir Shamrock »

They have a whole lot of the Parker Brothers games at Ollie's for $1.99. It's definitely bigger than I thought too

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc »

I'm a picky Clue collector. Cuz Not only am I on a budget, but I collect other stuff too. That being said. I'm on the fence about buying this. Maybe if it was a legit bootleg i would. But maybe if Biglots puts it on clerence. Then I'll get it. It's not $5 worth to me personally.

TheButlerButInnocent
Snoop

Re:

Post by TheButlerButInnocent »

alwaysPeacock wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:38 am I imagine Hasbro will churn these out for a year or two, then let them die off. Reddit is already having a good laugh with these editions, and asking the same question again and again: Why?
Is there a Clue sub, or did this game make its way to r/boardgames?

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy

I was rereading this and I can't help but to think. If this is to help prevent bootlegs. I can see how the game play would work with that problem, but the names are not generic enough. If I was to make a basic bootleg Clue. I could have just called the characters by their stereotypes. Military, Doctor, Business man, etc. Also I've been looking for legit knock offs. The only thing I've seen was that old Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Mystery at Hogwarts board game with the book style art. China sites only carry Discover the secrets and some USAopoly Clue games.

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy

I found Mystery Game at my local thrift store for $2. Was only missing two investigator sheets. Figured i'd post a close up of the sheet for people who want it bigger or to print more. I was going to mess around with it and make it printer friendly. It just has way to much black. But My limited skills could only make it light gray. So here it is for anyone to do what ever they like with it.
Attachments
Mystery Sheet.jpg
Mystery Sheet.jpg (164.75 KiB) Viewed 6580 times

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Wouldn’t it make sense to name Parker Brothers as Parkbro
Hasbro itself was formerly called Hassenfeld Brothers.

It would have been more clever and on the nose.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Re: Waddingtons Mysterio Game

Post by CluedoKid »

Murder by Death wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:53 am Since Hasbro is trotting out the Parker Brothers brand to market budget Clue knock-offs, I thought they should give Waddingtons equal time.
If you really want it to be a Cluedo knock-off, it would be Madame Rubiee ;)

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Was there ever a list of all the off-brand games that Hasbro put out under the Parker Brothers banner? I know there was this one, No Apologies! and Climb & Slide.