Cluedo: One Long Night Mysteries

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

Wow, that was a LOT quicker than expected! Again, thank you both for playing! Honestly, the later mysteries are really better in my opinion, so I'm real excited to keep going! That, and I finally posted this image - I really like Orchid's pose in her murder picture!

Anyways, here's the guessing game for my favorite weapon set, and my favorite victim art. I can't explain why, but there's just... there's something I like about his design. And don't forget, all the weapons in a weapon set has something in common with the other five!

S _ _ _ _ U N
H _ _ P _ _ _
L _ _ _ / P _ _ _ N _
B _ _ _ I _ R _ / C _ _
S _ _ D _ _ H _ _ M _ _
S _ W _ _ S _ / T _ _ _ H _

(And to be honest, I would be very, VERY surprised if anyone could correctly guess the last weapon. Like, that one's a bizarre weapon, even for me.)
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

ClueLover98
Slueth

Post by ClueLover98 »

Could I play again? Also, I think a shotgun, a harpoon, lead piping, a billiard cue, a sledgehammer, and a sawfish trophy are the weapons.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

ClueLover98 wrote:Could I play again? Also, I think a shotgun, a harpoon, lead piping, a billiard cue, a sledgehammer, and a sawfish trophy are the weapons.
You can absolutely play again because holy Jesus that is literally completely accurate that is

i mean i expected sawfish trophy to be at least a little hard to guess how on earth did you get it so quick

uuuuuh I've had this on hand for like a year and I've never used it even though it brings me so much joy so I guess this is your reward I'm literally gobsmacked anyone guessed that

ClueLover98
Slueth

Post by ClueLover98 »

yeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyey

Also, this is super irrelevant, but I was thinking of writing some mysteries too. Do you think hot peppers could be used as a weapon?

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

Like, that's a definite no on their own. I remember I drafted a mystery a while back for something else where the killer poisoned something super spicy to mask the poison's flavor - if you're talking about something like that, it could be interesting.

ClueLover98
Slueth

Post by ClueLover98 »

It's kind of like that. An environmental scientist (who happens to be the victim) has discovered an odd species of pepper which is safe to eat, but when exposed to a high temperature, it is poisonous upon consumption. Mrs. White unknowingly uses it in a stew of hers, but nobody takes the stew due to the odious scent. However, Prof. Plum threatens to force-feed the victim with the stew. So I'm now wondering WHY in the first place it was peppers. ;-; Maybe poisonous stew or something like that.

chaosemerald
Spy

Post by chaosemerald »

I'll have a go this time, if that's alright. I've been enjoying reading the ones so far.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

It's... Well, it's not good to see you again. Because whenever there are detectives here, there's another corpse to deal with. Messy business. But death isn't necessarily bad for everyone. Sometimes, it comes with some nice benefits, like the loss of a long-time enemy, or more often, a nice inheritance.

And inheritance is exactly why Mister Randolph Slate-Grey was visiting today. Doctor Orchid left Mrs. Peacock a few small gifts and a very nice letter. There was no question that she was going to inherit... but Slate-Grey ended up next on the chopping block. Why? There are many unanswered questions.

Slate-Grey was murdered somewhere on the ground floor, we know that much.
�Was it the Gallery...
�...the Cellar...
�...the Ballroom
�...the Chapel...
�...the Hall...
�...or was it the Conservatory?

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

And his last will was put into effect in a fairly nasty way. But how?

�Traditionally, there's a nice length of Lead Piping.
�Or was he shot with a Shotgun - Belonging to the Colonel, of course.
�Was it a handy Billiard Cue...
�...Or an antique Harpoon?
�Perhaps our killer smashed his head in with a Sledgehammer?
�Or even worse - killed with a Sawfish Trophy. Ghastly.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mister Slate-Grey's demise must have started when my wife read the letter her old friend had left her...

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

‒‒‒‒Scene One - The Storage Room‒‒‒‒

Colonel Mustard was furious. Not at anyone else, no, he was furious with himself.

"You weak fool! Miserable!"

He'd spent the last few days shipping away, piece by piece, but he couldn't get it finished. He'd been rummaging through the storage room for fifteen minutes now, until he finally opened one particular steamer trunk.

"A-ha! There you are!"

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

‒‒‒‒Scene Two - The Trophy Room‒‒‒‒

Mrs. Peacock was leaning on the door to her bedroom, holding a letter printed on official Lazur State letterhead. A final letter for Mrs. Peacock, left by Orchid in case of her own death, confessing all her feeling for Mrs. Peacock. Mrs. Peacock wasn't certain what to say. Mister Slate-Grey wasn't quite sure how to comfort her. After all, he wasn't privy to the letter's contents.

"Are you going to be alright?" He asked.

"It's nothing to worry about. I'd expected everything it says... it's just strange to have confirmation, is all."

"You're holding yourself together remarkably well."

Mrs. Peacock started walking down the length of the room. Mrs. Peacock's brother had been an avid fisherman. But long before that? A naval commander. And a young one, comparatively. Like the rest of the family, Everest Peacock got what he wanted when he wanted it. While the shark's jaw or the mounted sawfish bone might seem more striking, the focal point of the room to her was her brother's old navy uniform.

"I've handled death before, counselor." She added, putting her hand on the broad part of the sawfish trophy. "I'm certain I can muscle through this."

"You're a strong woman, Mrs. Peacoooooaaaaggh!"

Mister Slate-Grey had attempted to put his hand on the same trophy, but only ended up cutting himself on the deceptively-dull seeming teeth lining the edge. Randolph simply shook his hand, and laughed it off. Mrs. Peacock turned around, and smirked.

"Be careful. We don't want to handle YOUR will next. Are you alright?"

It was barely a trickle of blood, but a small amount remained on the trophy. "Yeah, but it looks like the statue needs to be cleaned."

"I'm sure Mrs. White will be happy to clean the... statue." Mrs. Peacock joked. "I'll be sure to inform-"

Mister Slate-Grey was already picking up the trophy by the base, and walking towards the lookout.

"Counselor!"

He put the trophy down on the floor. "It isn't that heavy! I thought we could bring it downstairs, make her job easier. She seems like a nice woman."

"Well, perhaps-"

A cacophonous, repetitive smashing sound started sending vibrations through the floorboards.

"What in the-" Mrs. Peacock stood up. "Carry it down if you want. What on earth is going on?"

Mrs. Peacock lead the way downstairs, with Mister Slate-Grey and the trophy in tow.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

‒‒‒‒Scene Three - The Chapel‒‒‒‒

When Mrs. Peacock and Mister Slate-Grey ran in, there was nothing they could say to stop what was happening.

Nurse Bluebell and Mister Boddy could simply look on in equal parts shock and horror as Colonel Mustard beat a section of conspicuous boards in the innermost corner of the room with a sledgehammer.

"Colonel, what in the heavens...!"

"There's something below this... And I want to know... What's down there...!" The colonel was running out of breath. If Mrs. Peacock had turned around, she would have seen Mister Slate-Grey giving him a very dirty look.

"For heaven's sake...! Stop that, Colonel!" Mrs. Peacock ran up, and grabbed the sledgehammer mid-swing. She took it out of his hands. "You can barely lift it, it isn't going to work!"

"Don't throw out your back, sir."

Mrs. White had made another of her frightening entrances. She took the sledgehammer out of Mrs. Peacock's hand. "Don't put your pride before your health."

"She's correct, Colonel." Mrs. Peacock said.

"Well, I'm finding out what's below that one way or-"

"HhhheeeeEEEAAAAAAAAAGH!"

With a penetrating war cry, Mrs. White sent the sledgehammer soaring through the air, smashing a massive hole through the wood. With a few more blows from the hammer, all that remained were menial, useless shards of wood.

"Oh my god..." Mrs. Peacock wasn't sure how to respond.

Colonel Mustard ran up to the hole, and gazed down. He couldn't see much - There were clearly no lights running down so far. All he could see was a long wooden ladder descending into abject darkness.

"By god, it's a secret passage!"

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

‒‒‒‒Scene Four - The Chapel Secret Passage ‒‒‒‒

The ladder ran deep. Deeper under the house than the servant's quarters, in fact. A single thin, long hallway that served as a kind of subbasement. Mrs. White was the first to climb down the ladder, followed by Colonel Mustard, Mister Slate-Grey, and a very reluctant Mrs. Peacock. Colonel Mustard had lent a lighter to Mrs. White as a makeshift light source.

"Do we have any idea where this is going, Colonel?" Mrs. Peacock was less than amused.

"Not in the slightest!" Colonel Mustard let out a belly laugh.

The four stopped at the sound of a loud metal clanging noise. Mrs. White bent over, and picked up a metal object.

"What is it?" Slate-Grey asked.

"A broken piece of piping, sir." She said. "It's covered in dust. It must have been down here for decades."

As they continued forward, Mrs. Peacock made an annoyed 'tch'. "Don't use that for anything. All of the old piping had to be replaced, it's probably made of lead."

"Wait."

All four stopped. Mrs. White moved upwards.

"There's a spiral staircase."

The four anxiously headed up the stairs, which seemed to go on far longer than it should have. Mrs. White eventually pushed on a wooden wall, which suddenly swung open.

They had found themselves in the cellar. Mrs. Peacock looked at the empty, hinged wine rack. "Unbelievable..."

"Colonel, wait!"

Mister Slate-Grey shouted, but Colonel Mustard had already gone. Mrs. Peacock faced her maid.

"Do not cause further damage to this house without my permission. Regardless of what we've found, get my permission next time."

"Of course. My deepest apologies, ma'am." Mrs. White put the lead piping on the tasting table, and bowed her head.

Colonel Mustard burst in again, this time holding a billiard cue.

"What are you- Stop that, whatever it is, Colonel!"

"Hold yer horses! I'm propping the entrance open." He positioned the cue between the corner of the secret passage entrance and the wine rack.

"What other secrets could this house hold..." Mister Slate-Grey thought to himself.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

‒‒‒‒Scene Five - The Gallery‒‒‒‒

"Further investigation?"

Mister Slate-Grey had lead Mrs. Peacock into the house art gallery.

"Your friend... I'm sorry to go into details, but she died of an air embolism. An injection site was found on her neck, and the DA's office wants me to see if I can find any reason to suspect foul play. If air was directly injected into the bloodstream, air embolisms may occur."

"And a secret passage is going to change that?"

"Not at all." He said. "The only entrance was closed. The coroner already ruled the death natural causes, and the case is too weak. I don't know why they'd require this kind of sneaking."

"Just don't harass my guests." Mrs. Peacock said. "And be careful. You don't know what could happen."

"You have my word."

"Impressive... Both the galleries in your house are very impressive!" Mister Slate-Grey said. He stopped in front of a painting of a young woman in a grey wedding dress, dancing in the rain. A small plaque under it read, "The Wedding of Delphine Grey."

"Gorgeous brushwork... Actually, I think I knew the subject for this painting once. Is it... No, this is a different woman. I was chasing after..."

Miss Scarlet, near identical to the subject of the painting, traipsed in through the billiard room door. "Hello~"

Mister Slate-Grey was slightly taken aback. "Oh! It's... It's you!" Randolph ran up to Miss Scarlet. "W-Would you mind if we talked?"

"Ha ha... No way~"

Miss Scarlet bolted through the billiard room door, leaving Mister Slate-Grey no time to catch up to her.

"Strange girl... But she means well. Don't worry about her." Mrs. Peacock said.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

‒‒‒‒Scene Six - The Hall‒‒‒‒

Sergeant Grey had arrived with Mister Slate-Grey before, merely to help with his investigation of Doctor Orchid's death. This was completely unnecessary, but he would take any excuse he could to visit.

"With you the whole time?" Grey asked the man next to him.

"I followed the professor into the lounge, and we talked about the island." Mister Green was lying through his teeth, but he was a good actor. "He's really- He's really interested in boring stuff."

"If you can provide an alibi... I suppose that proves our last suspect innocent." Sergeant Grey thought.

Mister Green relaxed just a little. He'd practiced his story with Plum before, and wasn't entirely sure it would work. "Of course it was natural causes." Green said. "I thought the coroner said that."

Miss Scarlet slammed the door to the study, drawing the men's attention. She strolled up to Mister Slate-Grey's briefcase, and pulled out a smartphone.

"Miss Scarlet?"

"It's just a joke, sergeant!" She said. "We'll just tease him a bit, and then we'll give it right back. Right, baby?"

Miss Scarlet slipped the phone into Mister Green's left pocket. This was her way of saying, "absolutely do not give this back." Miss Scarlet's little schemes had a surprisingly amount of logic to them.

"Of course. It's just a joke!"

Miss Scarlet didn't wait for a response before she had already gone into the Chapel. Sergeant Grey had known Scarlet long enough to know that little schemes are just a part of her daily life. He didn't pay it any mind, until Mister Slate-Grey walked through the same study door, and right up to the briefcase. Sure enough, his phone was gone. The sergeant and Mister Green glanced at one another nervously.

"Sergeant, has a woman in red been in here?"

Sergeant Grey had known about Miss Scarlet doing less-than-legal activities on the side for a while now. If anyone found out he knew about Miss Scarlet, and failed to report it to his superiors for so long, there would be *beep* to pay. Not just for him, for Miss Scarlet, for the whole family, for the colonel! There was no hesitation before he spoke.

"No."

Mister Slate-Grey put a hand through his hair out of frustration. "Have you seen a phone anywhere?"

"I saw one in the library." The sergeant pointed at the door to the conservatory. Mister Slate-Grey peeked through the door.

"Don't tell anyone about this." Sergeant Grey whispered gravely to Mister Green.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

‒‒‒‒Scene Seven - The Chapel‒‒‒‒

"I'm going in there." Mister Boddy finally said.

"No, they're- If they're hurt, you might get hurt too!" Nurse Bluebell tugged on Mister Boddy's arm, a rarity for her.

Just like that, Colonel Mustard opened the door to the dining room, and walked in as if nothing had happened.

"Colonel!"

"The passage leads all the way to the cellar." Colonel Mustard was beyond happy to have found this little secret in his own home. "The door's still open!"

Mister Boddy looked at the Colonel, then the door. He rushed out, before adding one final sentance. "Miss Scarlet said to tell you-"

"She just told me! Go!" He waved out his brother with delight. He then walked up to Nurse Bluebell, and patted her on the back "Don't worry about my bones, I've still got some strength left in me!"

Mister Slate-Grey suddenly opened the hall entrance. They both turned to him. "Back again, mister... What's your name?"

The colonel quickly went from jolly to concerned. Randolph was giving them both a stink eye, and they couldn't quite explain why.

"Mister Slate-Grey." He said. "I'm an estate lawyer for Doctor Orchid."

"Yes, terrible shame." Colonel Mustard was still on edge... that wasn't the only reason he was here.

"The sergeant already interviewed us both. I don't think we can tell you anything." Nurse Bluebell added.

"Your alibis are that... you were together in the dining room, correct?"

"Yes." Colonel Mustard walked in front of Nurse Bluebell. Mustard had known Bluebell long enough to know what would happen from here - paranoia would begin to take over if he wasn't careful.

"You see, the problem is... Mrs. White saw you for a short period, Colonel." Mister Slate-Grey said.

"Yes, after the murder, you silly boy!"

"'Murder?' The death has been ruled natural, Colonel." Mister Slate-Grey walked up, and started pointing at him. "You lied to the police, Colonel. Same with you, Nurse!" He waved his finger at the nurse. Paranoia was already gripping her body. Her breathing was getting heavy.

"You leave her out of this. And if you know what's good for you..." The colonel picked up the sledgehammer. "... you'd leave while your brains are in your thick skull."

Mister Slate-Grey had no option, he felt. He darted into the dining room, and the Colonel left through the other door.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

‒‒‒‒Scene Eight - The Cellar‒‒‒‒

Mrs. White had placed the lead pipe on the ground by the ballroom door. "Dusty thing..." she thought. Currently, she was wiping off all the dust it had previously left on the tasting table. She'd just finished adjusting the secret door, so the billiard cue and opening were barely visible. Mister Green opened the ballroom door, and walked in.

"Mrs. White, have you seen Leona anywhere?"

"No, sir." She said. "She's playing hard to find again. Probably something about that lawyer fellow, or the secret passage."

Mister Green's skin went pale. The words barely escaped his throat.

"S-Secret passage, M-M-Maple?"

"The lawyer who's here for Doctor Orchid's death is taking a lot of interest in that, I think, sir."

The whole time she spoke, she didn't bother to look up from her cleaning. She could barely see Mister Green dart through the gallery in the table reflection.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

‒‒‒‒Scene Nine - The Lounge‒‒‒‒

Miss Peach was fuming.

This brand deal with Emperian would have been invaluable! "No, it will be invaluable," she thought. What was it, twilight kiss, or something? That new line of... Whatever it was, Miss Peach's had arrived an hour earlier to discuss a deal with Mrs. Peacock. And where was she? Nowhere in sight. No word from Mrs. White, nothing. Had they all forgotten about her?

The library door opened, and Slate-Grey stepped through. Miss Peach was startled at finally seeing someone.

"I have been waiting for an hour...!" She started to yell.

Randolph and Amberlyn both stopped. They started for just a moment too long.

"Amber?"

"Randy...? It's been so long!" Miss Peach's faked enthusiasm wasn't very convincing.

"Yeah, it has." 'Randy' shook the lady's hand. "I've... heard a lot of your music lately."

"Most people have." she said. Randolph sat down on a love seat. Miss Peach looked at him for a moment, before darting her head away. Mister Slate-Grey just looked down.

"I heard you graduated law school." Miss Peach's comment came after yet another strange pause.

"You looked it up?"

"I like to know about important people." Normally, Miss Peach would have punctuated a sentence like this with a giggle. But she gazed a thousand-yard stare instead.

"Important... to the trip, you mean?"

They said nothing again.

"Is that all you remember me for?"

"It was a long investigation." Slate-Grey said slowly. "And... we don't have any answers."

Miss Peach stood up. "Wait, Amber!"

"My name is Miss Peach."

"Amber, I just want an answer!"

"And why should I give you that?" Miss Peach was turned completely away from him at this point.

Randolph stood up, but didn't move any closer to Amber. She clearly wanted her space.

"It was the middle of the pacific ocean, five years ago. Even if anyone could prove anything happened, no one could touch you."

Miss Peach still didn't say anything.

"I just... I just want some clarity, alright...? Did you... do anything?"

He waited on his response.

"Do you really think I'd do something like that?"

As she spoke, she turned to face Randolph, but she didn't turn her head. She kept her head firmly focused on her right hand, which was gently toying with an antique harpoon hanging on the wall.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

‒‒‒‒Scene Ten - The Hall‒‒‒‒

The colonel looked quickly from the top of the stairs. No one here.

He snuck down the stairs, quickly but absolutely silently. He made his way over to the umbrella stand next to the door, and hid a shotgun among the many umbrellas. "Perfect..." He thought, before leaving out the front door.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

‒‒‒‒Scene Eleven - The Ballroom‒‒‒‒

Nurse Bluebell's grip on reality was slowly slipping. Her mental problems were much more serious than she would ever admit to most people. The room almost seemed to melt around her. The grips of paranoia went through her body. The threat of legal repercussions were too much for the good nurse. She couldn't survive in prison! She knew she couldn't survive in prison - She couldn't survive on her own! She felt as though she was watching some cruel puppeteer controlling her body in her panic.

Sergeant Grey didn't know any of this. When he entered, he simply saw a woman having an extreme panic attack.

Grey picked her crumpled body upp of the floor, and looked her dead in the eyes. "Are you alright, Nurse?!"

Her stare was vacant.

"I'm... I'm very, very scared...! I don't feel... here...! He's going to find the Colonel and I... Guilty!"

The last few words were barely audible. This must be... What did Mrs. Peacock call it? Dissociation? He put one of Lillian's arms around his neck, and stood up. He walked slowly forward, and the Nurse unwittingly followed.

"You're going to be alright. Focus on the room around you." He said. That's the advice she said to give, right? "Feel your surroundings. In fact..."

Sergeant Grey lead her into the conservatory, not to her knowledge. Miss Peach was in here, with her hands in the fountain. She took them out at the confusing sight of the sergeant and the nurse.

"What's going on?"

"The Nurse here is having another episode. I'll look for the doctor."

The sergeant was gone before Peach could say anything. She sat the Nurse down on a small love seat, and put her hands on her shoulder.

"Sweetie, I'm going to help him find the doctor, alright?"

Nurse Bluebell stared vacantly at her. Miss Peach ran into the hall.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

‒‒‒‒Scene Twelve - The Cellar‒‒‒‒

An unknown person snuck into the cellar, and took the billiard cue from between the passage entrance and the wine holder. They then left, leaving the passage entrance wide open...