Cluedo introduce new character and kill off a classic!!!!!

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

It allows solo play, you just select 1 character to be "yours" and press Play. Upon your first turn you roll one digital die and advance on a board exactly like the standard Cluedo board, if you reach a room you can:
-interrogate your character: ask him about an introduction to the story, his alibi, whether he's seen any of the weapons, or whether he/she has spotted anything unusual;

-summon other characters and interrogate them about these questions;

-check out the room to find weapons (they're automatically searched for prints), miscellaneous evidence or traces of the murder;

-click on the clock in the room to see a Flashback, a video of something that happened earlier in the room. Sets up characters with a motive or often explains a clumsy incident where the gun was fired but nobody was hurt;

-summon the butler and ask him for a hint. He'll eliminate half of the weapons or half of the characters, at a cost of one of your allowed guesses. You'll get 3. Finding the murder room can get quite hard.

You'll find traces of potential murders aren't explained by flashbacks. You'll find that the murderer lies about his alibi and you'll have to carefully put them next to each other. Sometimes it's a noticeable difference, but occasionally it's only minor and you'll have to pen down the alibis quickly.
If you find a weapon with fingerprints, you can ask all characters about the weapon. If one of them left fingerprints behind but claims he never saw the weapon, you may get 2/3 right from that. If you have the rope (never has prints) or something wiped clean, you can still try to ask people about it. Candlesticks are a bit difficult since there are 2.

If you leave a room by any other way than a secret passage (game has the same ones as regular Cluedo) you'll have to roll that one die to get to the next room. Which is tedious. Making it worse - if you want to make an accusation, you'll have to be in the murder room. I did once forget which one it was, had to make a tour of the whole house again.

It happened to me that the 2nd time I played my first story, it had the same solution as the first time; and the second time I played the second story it was the same story as the first time. There are only 4 stories. If you play it a lot of times after each other, you'll poke through the game too easily. It's a game you'll have to save for a good occasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiJGxAdcpE8
Here are fragments I made of the Hooded Madonna story. First vid is asking Plum about the happenings, the rest is fragments.

It did come with plastic cards and drywipe markers. The cards don't give you enough space to write down all the alibi infos on.

The cast is great huh!

scary harpy
Suspect

Post by scary harpy »

I guess I might be alone in this opinion...but I like the change. I learned of Dr. Orchid not too long ago and I bought this edition. I really like it.

Instead of a birthday party for Boddy, Hasbro should have thrown a retirement party for Mrs. White...attended by her daughter, Chef White, and her niece, Nurse White.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock »

Saw the new edition on "rollback" at Walmart for about $8, if any of our US based members have been waiting for a discount before investing in the new game.

To be fair, I've seen another Walmart selling the new edition and the previous edition side by side with no difference in price, so it may not be a company wide promotion.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock »

BBP, I'd love to see that dry-wipe notebook, if you can get a scan. Having played the CD-Rom version so many times, I can't imagine the physical note sheet being in any way practical. Otherwise, the CDi version sounds remarkably similar, if slightly more needlessly complicated in terms of movement. Pity the other scenarios never got converted for CD-Rom.

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

alwaysPeacock wrote:BBP, I'd love to see that dry-wipe notebook, if you can get a scan. Having played the CD-Rom version so many times, I can't imagine the physical note sheet being in any way practical. Otherwise, the CDi version sounds remarkably similar, if slightly more needlessly complicated in terms of movement. Pity the other scenarios never got converted for CD-Rom.
It took a while, sorry: the scanner is out.

I'd like to note that these are indeed impractical: the pens are thick fiberpens and the squares you write in are teensy tiny - no way you can actually write on them with those pens.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock »

LOL! Wow, definitely not ideal for this kind of game. Attractive, though. Thanks for the picture!

terryhall4
Suspect

Post by terryhall4 »

I haven't played the Orchid version yet. Worth my time?

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

terryhall4 wrote:I haven't played the Orchid version yet. Worth my time?
Absolutely

terryhall4
Suspect

Post by terryhall4 »

Black wrote:
Absolutely
If I find a cheaper box of it then I'll get it :)

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock »

I mean, it's the classic game with one changed suspect & an optional bonus deck. If you want a new Clue/Cluedo set with easily replaced parts you can play the heck out of, then go for it. Otherwise, you're all set if you've got any standard version made before 2009.

Get A Clue
Suspect

In the US and just got the UK version Imported

Post by Get A Clue »

I was really disappointed that the US version has the generic pawns instead of the character figures so I took a chance and ordered it from fish pond. It just arrived today (took about three weeks or so)! If anyone else in the U.S. wants the UK version, it's the cheapest way to get it so far.

terryhall5
Suspect

Post by terryhall5 »

Hasbro's wrecked Cluedo (by now) so any good's been overlooked because the wreck-ful Americans bollox good British things with needless changes, etc, etc.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

Who here lives in Australia?

Where's the best place to buy Cluedo in Oz?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Well I splurged and bought it (as well as New Sorry)

It was about $8. Overall it gave me the general Clue vibe I was looking for. Dr. Orchid seems okay. I can get used to her. But she's in the ranks of Prince Azure or Mrs. Meadow-Brook. We forfeited the standard Mrs. White in the Movie and we can again in this edition. (Dear Hasbro, pretty please add her back in your next round. Perhaps make Professor Plum a bit older. Thanks. Love cacums <3)

Anyway on to my review:

I like the Suspects overall and I feel they fit for this game and the setting they are in. The serial code on Miss Scarlet's card is tacky, however.
Weapons 10/10. Not gonna complain. I like the interpretation. I like that they match the pieces.
The Board/Rooms -
Hall - Love it. Only I need that door to the Study. I'm going to paint it in at some point.
Lounge - LOVE! The perfect Clue ambiance. The furniture arrangement is suitable and the colors are nicely done.
The Dining Room and Kitchen are both sooo close. But the darn wine bottle and shoe don't fit the proportions of the rest of the house. I'm sure they were enlarged to make it more apparent, but actual size would have been better. Detail is detail after all. The Kitchen and Dining Room are otherwise colored and laid out perfectly. I can overlook the bottle and the shoe simply due to the grandness of the Dining Room.
Ballroom - 10/10 Love it. I'd kill there. I love the footprints. The dark shadowy Piano. It fits perfectly.
Conservatory - Great room. Poor Room Title Placement. I like that it has stepped away from just being a back flower patio. The furniture and flower arrangements make the room just as presentable as the Lounge for a dinner party.
Billiard Room - Love it. I like the two billiard tables. It's unique. The fireplace and money is a nice touch too. The massive bar on the wall is nice as well.
Library - Gorgeous. I like that it is the first Library without a fireplace. More room for books! I love how secluded and private the room feels.
Study - Love the wall safe. Poor Title Placement like the Conservatory however. Good colors and nice feel. It's reminiscent to the 2002 Study. There could be a bit more filler, rather than rugs.
Center - I like it. It's dark and mysterious.
Spaces - I'm not too upset about the Conservatory door since they bumped Peacock's starting space over. But I really feel that the Hall-Study is necessary for game play. I definitely am a fan of the marble spaces.

TheBilliardRoom
Detective

Post by TheBilliardRoom »

Murder by Death wrote:Who here lives in Australia?

Strangely, it seems like this version isn't available in Australia yet, at least in chain stores... the Christmas catalogues are all using the cover of the previous edition, e.g.:

http://www.kmart.com.au/product/cluedo/385301

It might just be that they're using the wrong image though... I haven't been to a department store in a while.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

cacums wrote:Well I splurged and bought it (as well as New Sorry)

It was about $8. Overall it gave me the general Clue vibe I was looking for. Dr. Orchid seems okay. I can get used to her. But she's in the ranks of Prince Azure or Mrs. Meadow-Brook. We forfeited the standard Mrs. White in the Movie and we can again in this edition. (Dear Hasbro, pretty please add her back in your next round. Perhaps make Professor Plum a bit older. Thanks. Love cacums <3)

Anyway on to my review:

I like the Suspects overall and I feel they fit for this game and the setting they are in. The serial code on Miss Scarlet's card is tacky, however.
Weapons 10/10. Not gonna complain. I like the interpretation. I like that they match the pieces.
The Board/Rooms -
Hall - Love it. Only I need that door to the Study. I'm going to paint it in at some point.
Lounge - LOVE! The perfect Clue ambiance. The furniture arrangement is suitable and the colors are nicely done.
The Dining Room and Kitchen are both sooo close. But the darn wine bottle and shoe don't fit the proportions of the rest of the house. I'm sure they were enlarged to make it more apparent, but actual size would have been better. Detail is detail after all. The Kitchen and Dining Room are otherwise colored and laid out perfectly. I can overlook the bottle and the shoe simply due to the grandness of the Dining Room.
Ballroom - 10/10 Love it. I'd kill there. I love the footprints. The dark shadowy Piano. It fits perfectly.
Conservatory - Great room. Poor Room Title Placement. I like that it has stepped away from just being a back flower patio. The furniture and flower arrangements make the room just as presentable as the Lounge for a dinner party.
Billiard Room - Love it. I like the two billiard tables. It's unique. The fireplace and money is a nice touch too. The massive bar on the wall is nice as well.
Library - Gorgeous. I like that it is the first Library without a fireplace. More room for books! I love how secluded and private the room feels.
Study - Love the wall safe. Poor Title Placement like the Conservatory however. Good colors and nice feel. It's reminiscent to the 2002 Study. There could be a bit more filler, rather than rugs.
Center - I like it. It's dark and mysterious.
Spaces - I'm not too upset about the Conservatory door since they bumped Peacock's starting space over. But I really feel that the Hall-Study is necessary for game play. I definitely am a fan of the marble spaces.

Love to see close ups, for sure.

The double billiard table and red walls is definately inspired by Biltmore Castle I'm pretty sure.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

cacums wrote: Spaces - I'm not too upset about the Conservatory door since they bumped Peacock's starting space over. But I really feel that the Hall-Study is necessary for game play. I definitely am a fan of the marble spaces.
Except why did they do it?

It wasn't a mistake as they intentionally moved Mrs. peacock's starting space over to maintain the 6 space minimum. So if they're intentionally changing the board layout, why? Mrs. Peacock still has a 1 space advantage. Yes it's harder to get into the Conservatory from the Ballroom, but was that ever really a problem? And part of that is negated anyway by having two dice. The best solution was the Franklin Mint modification which bumped the door out one tile, making it 7 spaces from Peacock, but one space closer to the Ballroom. Again, I don't see that space being a deal breaker either way between the two rooms, and it gives everyone the same advantage as opposed to just Peacock before.

And like you, I feel the Hall/Study door is another meddlesome change with no practical purpose. Was it because there are now two dice? Or was this one an actual mistake which has turned up in other newer editions?

Either way, I think I'll be altering two doors .. Adding the missing Hall door, and moving the Conservatory's.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Murder by Death wrote:Except why did they do it?
I think they did it to give the Conservatory a more standard "box" shaped room so they could do more with the furniture and layout. I'm just glad they left all the walls and corners in the Library.

Also, I'll try to get good scans of the board within the next week. Probably this weekend since I have some time off. :)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

cacums wrote:
Murder by Death wrote:Except why did they do it?
I think they did it to give the Conservatory a more standard "box" shaped room so they could do more with the furniture and layout. I'm just glad they left all the walls and corners in the Library.

Also, I'll try to get good scans of the board within the next week. Probably this weekend since I have some time off. :)
Except that's why the Franklin Mint edition likely did it, except they put the door facing the ballroom, on the traditional side. So that's not the reason they moved the door.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

TheBilliardRoom wrote:
Murder by Death wrote:Who here lives in Australia?

Strangely, it seems like this version isn't available in Australia yet, at least in chain stores... the Christmas catalogues are all using the cover of the previous edition, e.g.:

http://www.kmart.com.au/product/cluedo/385301

It might just be that they're using the wrong image though... I haven't been to a department store in a while.
I think you're exactly right. We checked Target, Kmart, Kidstuff, and Meyer. All had the old version of the game. Actually neither Target nor Kmart had any in stock (nor apparently ever having any), but Target had a big poster at the store entrance promoting the Hasbro games, and they depicted the old version.

Sad I had high hopes I was going to get a Cluedo edition easily as a carry-on gift item.

I have to say it's surprising that Hasbro didn't get the new game to Australia in time for Christmas, considering that Oz seems like a major market for the game. How do they make an international announcement that Dr. orchid is replacing Mrs. White, many then don't get around to it in all of their major markets?