Super Cluedo/ Master detective homemade

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

CluedoKid wrote:I totally think you should keep it in color. The weapons looks fine, but the rooms and suspects looks...well, monotone. They weren't drawn to be black and white.

The board looks great by the way.
Seeing them in monotone, I tend to agree. Maybe try adding sepia to them so they look like older color photos, rather than so vibrant. And then, maybe color tint the weapons cards so they are uniform ...

Or, use the Master Detective weapons. That's probably your best option. The Super Cluedo weapons have the captions integrated into the top part of the picture so it would look odd to exclude it, though they could probably be cleaned up with some editing. The Master Detective cards are the more photorealistic in terms of matching the rest of the artwork.

ruckage
Snoop

Post by ruckage »

I do think that weapon art from master detective is a better fit - only problem is the weapon pieces I have don't match.

The wepons I have are from 'Super Cluedo challenge'

They are:

Lead Piping
Dagger
Rope
Candlestick
Poison
Spanner *
Axe *
Revolver *
Blunderbuss *

The last 4 would need artwork to match the style of the master detective cards (the revolver piece I have is completely different to the master detective art).

I'm not too bad at drawing so what I may do is have a go at creating artwork that mimics the master detective art for these 4 weapons.

ruckage
Snoop

Post by ruckage »

Okay, I've just had a go at drawing the revolver myself, certainly not perfect but I think it looks okay. Below is a picture of the weapons cards using my own revolver artwork next to a card using the official Master detective candlestick artwork. I think it's a close enough match style-wise so I'll get the other 3 missing weapons drawn and then the artwork should be fairly consistent across all card types.

TheBilliardRoom
Detective

Post by TheBilliardRoom »

I'm really liking this set so far! Keep up the good work :)

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 »

That's a really good drawing of a revolver! It fits well with the other art! Well done!
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

This is a nit pick and I know it won't fit with original Cluedo at all. But would it be possible to call the REVOLVER - PISTOL instead?

ruckage
Snoop

Post by ruckage »

Black wrote:This is a nit pick and I know it won't fit with original Cluedo at all. But would it be possible to call the REVOLVER - PISTOL instead?
I think I might do just that as I do agree that it clearly is a pistol as opposed to a revolver. As an added bonus if I could also find an actual revolver game piece it could be added as a separate weapon :D .

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Do you by chance have Passport to Murder? I'm wondering because the weapons are the same 9 as in Super Cluedo Challenge, just updated in the style of the Master Detective weapon tokens. And the Revolver is actually a Revolver you might be able to model it after.

And might I add how sexy the Revolver and Lead Piping are? 8)

ruckage
Snoop

Post by ruckage »

Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been busy though - I've just finished constructing the actual board :D .

It took a long while but I think the end result was worth it. I wanted the board to be nice and compact when folded so that it would fit in a standard A4 size box so its constructed from 8 sections which fold neatly together.

The folded size of the board is a compact 28cm x 20.2cm and approximately 2.5cm thick. Unfolded it measures a whopping 80.8cm x 56cm.

Next I need to finish the card art and get the cards made and then all that's left to do is the box.

Below is a gif of how the board unfolds:

And here are some photos of the board.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

OMG, That is amazing

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Beautiful!! I love it :D

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 »

omg! How did you make this?!
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

That looks great! What did you make the board out of?

ruckage
Snoop

Post by ruckage »

Thanks for the replies
CluedoKid wrote:That looks great! What did you make the board out of?
Thanks. The art is printed on photo quality inkjet paper (it looks like ordinary paper but has a matt coating for high resolution prints). I then laminated the prints using adhesive book covering, this protects the artwork and should hopefully strengthen the 'hinges' where it folds. The artwork was then mounted onto 2mm thick greyboard using double sided adhesive sheets. The final board is approximately 3mm thick so it's a bit thicker than a real Cluedo board.

My board was complicated by the fact that I wanted it to fold so small. A simpler way would be to either do a 4 section or even 2 section board. An even easier solution would be to mount the 8 sections onto individual boards and then just assemble them like a jigsaw when you want to play. It doesn't look as fancy but would work perfectly well and still be compact.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.

Now if only Hasbro would employ some designers with half the creativity you've demonstrated here!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

cacums wrote:Do you by chance have Passport to Murder? I'm wondering because the weapons are the same 9 as in Super Cluedo Challenge, just updated in the style of the Master Detective weapon tokens. And the Revolver is actually a Revolver you might be able to model it after.
I would agree. I also don't see any reason why you can't mix and match weapons sets. With a game as nice as this, you really should use a more substantial weapons set. Usually they can be found on eBay inexpensively. In fact, here's a link to replacement parts for a Master Detective game on eBay now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-Clue-Mas ... SwKsRWFpRC

And here's an inexpensive Cluedo version in the UK:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PARKER-BROTHE ... SwhcJWLnnD

The Super Cluedo set uses the Master Detective set, And Passport to Murder is taken from the 50th Anniversary and International Travel Editions.

Obviously you are choosing to play with additional weapons than are intended for Super Cluedo. But you could conceivably do that using the Master Detective artwork, leaving you needing just the Blunderbuss or Axe. As far as that goes, you could probably make a decent Axe card using the Passport To Murder Axe. That just leaves the Blunderbuss, and really, the revolver makes little sense as it is, can you imagine the noise a Blunderbuss would make? ;-)

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

This might get me a little hate for suggesting this, but did you ever consider using the DTS weapons for your game?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

:oops: Please don't

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

cacums wrote::oops: Please don't
To be fair, the weapons in that game were the only thing I liked.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Black wrote:
cacums wrote::oops: Please don't
To be fair, the weapons in that game were the only thing I liked.
One of the worst weapons sets of all the games. They are by far the smallest and least substantial of the weapons. Very hard to handle as well.