Clue: The Murderer

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Re: Clue: The Murderer

Post by CluedoKid »

I did contemplate Aqua as female initially, so perhaps that translated over.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Here's a working list of nationalities in the game. Seems like quite a mix. Mr. Boddy got around quite a lot and moved through some interesting circles. (This list is being worked as I go through each character and flesh their histories)

Mexico: Dr. Black, Madame Rose, Sr. Crema, Sr.Cereza, Cedro, Inspector Bosque, Lt. Rubio, Dr. Orchid (Mixed Chinese-Mexican)
United States: Mr. Boddy, Aunt Burgundy, Master Navy, Miss Peach, Judge Mauve, Mr. Flaxseed, Commander Spruce
Canada: Rev. Green, Mr. Slate-Grey, Mme. Puce, Nurse Bluebell
Argentina: Professor Plum, Herr Umber, Dr. Mandarino
Bolivia: Dr. Prussian
Cuba: Dr. Olive, Ms. Mango
Bermuda: Captain Seafoam, Mrs. White, Rusty, Mr. Ashe
Guam: Captain Brown, Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Haiti: Prince Azure, Admiral Aqua
Martinique: Madame Chartreuse
Denmark: Colonel Mustard, Countess Silver
UK: Earl Gules, Lord Cinder, Mr. Clay, Sir Gold, Lady Oakwood
China: Miss Scarlet, Lady Lavender (Hong Kong)
Philipines: Mr. Tan
Australia: Sgt. Gray
Malta: Mother Drab
Spain: Baron Bronze
Monoco: Mrs. Peacock, M. Brunette, Princess Emerald, Marquess Prevenche
France: Mlle. Carbon

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

Herr Umber from Argentina? My history is a little Rusty (pun intended) but would I be correct in assuming that Umber was a Nazi who immigrated to South America to avoid being caught as a war criminal?

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Black wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:29 pm Herr Umber from Argentina? My history is a little Rusty (pun intended) but would I be correct in assuming that Umber was a Nazi who immigrated to South America to avoid being caught as a war criminal?
Yea, I thought Umber would be German with his title Herr.
“Really Plum?!” - Mr. Green (Clue VCR, 1985)
IG:https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

Nevermind, my theory is wrong. The game is set in 1913 so Umber couldn't have been a Nazi. It's more likely he immigrated to avoid fighting for Germany/Austria in WW1

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

CluedoKid wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:18 pm
Zoo977 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:21 pm
LIEUTENANT RUBIO - If you don't speak spanish, you're out of luck. Might suggest repurposing the names of one of the comic detectives: Lt. Ochre or Lt. Amarillo.

Also how is Amarillo a better alternative to Rubio, if the names are too latin sounding? Most people on the forum too are familiar with the 70's Spanish edition where some of these surnames come from, including Rubio. If it's because of the recent comics being more familiar, I didn't care for those comics too well, though Bosque and Rubio are sort of a nod to the detectives from it.
I suppose that’s a good point. My concern isn’t the names being too Latin. My concern is that a lot of them don’t sound like colors initially. In my mind a good name should be pleasing as a character title and recognizable as a color to the average person. Now that you say that I’m not sure of Amarillo would work ^^’

Actually I should add I don’t like the clue comics either. But Ochre and Amarillo are good ideas for names IMO

That said I didn’t realize that this was meant for people who would know Spanish. That definitely changes things.

Bluebells... yeah they’re more purple :p Actually, her original name was nurse bubbles, hence the cyan color.

Fantastic character work as always. Aqua and rubio look fantastic particularly
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Zoo977 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:42 pm
That said I didn’t realize that this was meant for people who would know Spanish. That definitely changes things.

Ah yes, certainly, the context illuminates choices here. Of course, most of the character names are English, so perhaps that would alienate Latin players, ultimately, the game won't really reach the average player as it's a fan-product mainly for myself and whoever's interested. In this sense, it's invitation to translate non-English names and vice-versa to learn their meaning.

Actually, when I was planning out the characters with English names too, I did have it as Inspector Forrest and Lt. Tawny, so those could be good alternatives.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

I just- I just realized, can we assume mademoiselle Carbon’s first name is Yvette

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Zoo977 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:36 pm I just- I just realized, can we assume mademoiselle Carbon’s first name is Yvette
She does resemble her in someways

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

I really like Tawny as a name, I will have to file that away to use, maybe as a modifier for a brown character one day.

GarfieldBuilder
Spy

Post by GarfieldBuilder »

I
Last edited by GarfieldBuilder on Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GarfieldBuilder
Spy

Post by GarfieldBuilder »

I think I could add my own characters to the game, these being: Doctor Cobalt, Lady Raspberry and Admiral Gold. Can you add these characters To your game designs?

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

GarfieldBuilder wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:56 pm I think I could add my own characters to the game, these being: Doctor Cobalt, Lady Raspberry and Admiral Gold. Can you add these characters To your game designs?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21170

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

Jonathan Green wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:52 pm
Zoo977 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:36 pm I just- I just realized, can we assume mademoiselle Carbon’s first name is Yvette
She does resemble her in someways
I can think of two things they’ve got in common :^)

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Jonathan Green wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:49 pm
GarfieldBuilder wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:56 pm I think I could add my own characters to the game, these being: Doctor Cobalt, Lady Raspberry and Admiral Gold. Can you add these characters To your game designs?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21170
Yes, the new character repository thread would be the best place to go first with new characters :) actually, I wonder if maybe we should start a (new?) thread for The creation/discussion of original creations, then from their people could submit them to the character repository?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

If you'd like to commission them for your own use, sure, but otherwise no. This topic is to showcase my project.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

She is Yvette inspired, who doesn't love a French maid, but I think I may give her a different first name.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Here's the drawn suspect concepts with the brief (and rough) description of their role. They are organized by their relevance to certain plots.

The Black & Boddy Family

Dr. Black - Chemist, master of sciences, and current proprietor of Black Manor.

Mr. Boddy - Dr. Black's companion; heir of the Boddy fortune, and explorer.

Mrs. Peacock - Dr. Black's vivacious socialite half-cousin, of Peacock Estates.

Madame Rose - Dr. Black's sister, interested in the occult; a rare medium.

Aunt Burgundy - Mr. Boddy's histrionic aunt, and godmother of Master Navy.

Master Navy - Petulant, sullen nephew of Mr. Boddy and Aunt Burgundy.

Nurse Bluebell - Master Navy's nanny.

A Collection of Intellectuals

Miss Scarlet - Chinese astronomer, with espionage on the side.

Mr. Slate-Grey - Scarlet's associate, and data collector.

Ms. Mango - Boddy and Black's music tutor, and planner of the ball.

Professor Plum - Former head of archaeology, now Dr. Black's secretary.

Dr. Mandarino - Renowned physician of Argentina, and colleague of Plum.

Mr. Tan - Elusive poet from the Philippines.

The Titanic Incident

Countess Silver - Danish noblewoman, sailing companion to Boddy on Titanic, rescued in Collapsible D.

Captain Seafoam - Operates an illegal fishing trawler, was near the disaster site; rescued Mr. Boddy.

Baron Bronze - Tavern cardsharp; purchased Mr. Boddy as a prize from Captain Seafoam.

Colonel Mustard - Saved Mr. Boddy's life; commissioned on an illegal campaign on an Alpine village.

The Royal Entourage

Princess Emerald - Lavish, spoilt princess, and friend of Countess Silver, on tour.

Marquese Pervenche - Amateur herpetologist, and chaperone to the Princess Emerald.

Prince Azure - Haitian royalty; deals illicit trades, possibly linked to the death of his father King Azure.

Admiral Aqua - Pompous naval commodore and informal bodyguard to Prince Azure.

Earl Gules - Extravagant and bloodthirsty nobleman, who indulges in sadist pursuits.

Sir Gold - Pal of the Earl Gules, and eloped with Dr. Orchid, funding some of her exploits.

A Current Investigation

Miss Peach - Historian and authoress, penning a chronology of Black Manor.

Sergeant Gray - Ex-convict, fallen heir, turned police, aiding Miss Peach in research. Son of Lord Gray.

Inspector Bosque - Private investigator committed to the case of Lord Gray's murder.

Lieutenant Rubio - Also on the Lord Gray case, specialized in forensic analysis.

Lady Lavender - Former courtier of Hong Kong, and Lord Gray's widow. Prime suspect.

The Legal Matter

Judge Mauve - Justice in the trial and aquittal of Mr. Boddy in the death of his Uncle.

M. Brunette - Mr. Boddy and Dr. Black's current lawyer, replacing Mr. Meadow-Brook. Also deeply involved in several arts; visual arts, dark arts, and con arts.

Mrs. Meadow-Brook - Widow of the lawyer Mr. Meadow-Brook, and funding some of the extravagances of the ball.

Captain Brown - Captain of Meadow-Brook's yacht, and courting Mrs. Meadow-Brook.

Underground Networks

Mother Drab - Sinister crook, running a peddling scheme after her suspicious involvement in the death of Cardinal Carmine and her fall from the convent.

Reverend Green - Mother Drab's wingman, committed naturist and deeply spiritual, but in need of funds.

Lord Cinder - Green's middle-man, procuring goods, primarily, vintage wines.

Lady Oakwood - Cinder's close acquaintance, mooching off his spoils.

Dr. Prussian - Bombs expert, hired to test her patents on rival establishments.

Dr. Orchid - Botanist, developing potent extracts to spike product performance, with occasional poisonous results.

Local Residents

Mr. Clay - Calisthenics expert and ex-pat living in the village, is scheduled for fitness sessions.

Madam Chartreuse - Proprietor of the village cabana, extends her services upon request.

Dr. Olive - Slick Cuban physician for the village. Dubious deft of his practice; leches after wealth and some of the servants.

Mr. Flaxseed - Skilled on-site tailor, providing fashions for the ball.

Herr Umber - Maintenance of the manor's utility upkeep, runs a shop close by.

Commander Spruce - Lost revolutionary, hiding out in the village.

Staff

Mr. Ashe - The head butler of Black Manor.

Mrs. White - Long-time housekeeper of Black Manor, and former cook. Acquitted in the deaths of past employers, including Lord and Lady Black, and Uncle Eduardo.

Mlle. Carbón - Coquettish parlour and bedroom maid, formerly employed at Chartreuse's establishment.

Sr. Crema - Footman of the dining room and scullery.

Sr. Cereza - Chauffeur to Dr. Black, sublet as a valet to the royal guests.

Mme. Puce - Efficient and brisk French cook in the kitchens.

Cedro - Florist and pool boy.

Rusty - Gardener and groundskeeper; established at the manor as a boy, since the death of his father, Mr. Wells.

ClueLover98
Slueth

Post by ClueLover98 »

I've yet to read it all, but the art looks amazing!

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Love seeing all the illustrated characters together!