Clue: The Murderer

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Re: Clue: The Murderer

Post by CluedoKid »

Correct! In this instance, the rubber bulb is used for the camera in the dark room.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulb_(photography)

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

I won't lie, I thought Rubber Bulb from the sprite image looked like something kinkier (A rubber ball with a strap) but when I googled it, I did see a Pipette but the hose really confused me. Thanks Guys

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

I was thinking the rubber bulb might have been used in more of an apothecary type situation (maybe a lethal enema :shock: ) and that it would double as a contaminant, very cool that it is from an old camera.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

Hey man, this is perfect timing. I've been in a state where I've been lamenting the fall of pixel art, seeing all these pixel designs... I needed this today. Beautiful work on the suspects and stories and weapons. I think I'll bulletpoint my thoughts.

THE GOOD:
• For the limiting style, the variety of the characters is fantastic. It's easy to make characters too similar, but you've done a great job of differentiating.
Intriguingly large lists. I'm excited to hear the gameplay mechanics : D
The slingshot is likely my favorite among the new weapons. Such a simple yet classic idea... I feel stupid for not thinking of it.
• The kettlebell is a nice addition. And the boarshead... very 13 Dead-End Drive. Both are great touches.
MS MANGO IS BACK <3 i love ms mango so many :3
• Always like the inclusion of the Mobil Mystery additions, as well as my man Dr. Mandarin, that's just a small thing
• Your returning original characters are great. Seafoam, Navy, Burgundy, Silver, and especially Drab make wonderful decorations for the world
• This last one's a bit selfish, so I'm putting it last. But I've always admired your art here. And seeing you draw Nurse Bluebell, a character I made up a few years ago... I have to admit, that really hit me in the heartstrings. I'm delighted you wanted to use her, thank you so much man. I may put that sprite in my diary :D

Now, since I respect you as an artist, I wanna offer some criticisms. None of this is meant cruelly; Just my opinions

WEAKER POINTS:
SUSPECTS
• The names get weaker around the fourth line. Most of them are good. But the surnames should be easily identifiable as a color in some way. Several I felt were too specific.
LIEUTENANT RUBIO - If you don't speak spanish, you're out of luck. Might suggest repurposing the names of one of the comic detectives: Lt. Ochre or Lt. Amarillo.
INSPECTOR BOSQUE - It sounds good, but there are less obscure natural terms. Moss, Forest, Pine, Clover. Keep it simpler.
EARL GULES - Admirably clever and fitting name origin, but again, far too obscure. Carmine, Auburn, and Crimson seem obvious choices.
CEDRO - This one just looks like a name to me. If you want a green first name, just use Cedar. Glenn could also work well.
SR. CEREZA - I'm noticing you leaning on Spanish a lot. Rojo could be a fitting fill-in. Or if you want the cherry theming, M. CERISE would be much more identifiable.
MR. FLAXSEED - Just shorten it to Flax. Flaxseed feels awkward.
MARQUEES PERVENCHE - Again, not immediately recognizable to most people. Might change to the Marquees Diamond (which would double as a pun) or Marquees Glacia
• A few more brightly-colored suspects would help the visual variety. Dr. Orchid, Sir Gold, and Dr. Mandarino seem the best choices.
• I'd shorten Dr. Mandarino to Dr. Mandarin. It's more punchy and succinct.
• I imagine Ms. Mango as more orange-yellow than just gold. Might orange shift her dress
• The shading on Dr. Prussian's dress is too subtle to see
WEAPONS
• I would edit the hand-cannon to be shorter, so it doesn't look as unwieldy. I can't imagine say, Navy hoising that monster.
• The blowhorn name makes me think of say, a vuvuzela. I just finished Murder In The Sky, and not once is it called a blowhorn. Changing that to "blowpipe" or "blowdarts" would be less confusing.
• The rubber bulb seems... too specific. If you want a medical instrument, a stethoscope would be classic. Surgical gauze, or maybe something nonmedical like a hose or a scarf, you have more identifiable options.
• Could you give a bit more detail about the puzzle box? It's a fairly vague item name.

Again, I know this list is long, but I do like a ton of what you have. Don't let this seem mean or disparaging - I simply want to help, however I can.
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Could you give a bit more detail about the puzzle box? It's a fairly vague item name
Obviously the Puzzle Box is used to summon Pinhead, who then drags the victim down to hell.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist :lol: )

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

After reading Zoo's comments, I got to agree on many of her points. I can't comment on the artist points since I'm not an artist of any caliber - My Stickmen or more like Spaghetti Men but joking aside I just wanna throw my 2 cents in.

1) I know Earl Gules was a character Cluedokid used in one of those old Clue guessing games we had on the forum and I like that call back (don't remember if any of the others were though)
2) I also remember that in the DVD game, there was a character called Commissioner Forest who demonstrated how to play the game - This game could be prior to his promotion were you to change Bosque's name to Forest
3) Flaxseed is a color but when I find myself reading the names, I trip up and say Flacid if I'm saying it quick (might be a personal problem and nitpicky) but I like the sound of Mr. Flax. It's Short, Sweet and sounds kind of cool
4) Zoo touched upon it, I have been struggling with the Spanish names. I grew up learning French - I've had to find myself learning to try and pronounce the names and also find out what they are in terms of shades
5) I agree that the Cannon is a little too big for say Navy to use but a. that's a 1 in 2500 chance of that suspect and weapon combo and b. I could kind of picture him doing a Home Alone murder but instead of paint cans, a bloody great big cannon xD
6) I think the stethoscope would be an ideal weapon considering that 5 of the suspects are doctors (2 being physicians)

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Wait, does the Titanic subplot you mentioned earlier tie into that Titanic themed Clue board you posted in the fan art thread, CluedoKid?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Hm, I'm seeing a few grips over the foreign names, I'll say foremost the names are fixed. The game is set in Mexico, and on a personal level, I'm integrating myself deeper in Latin American culture. My boyfriend loves Sr. Cereza. If anything, I have a lot of Anglo-sounding names, but that's from my own familiar background. So the Spanish names and the rest aren't being changed for the ease of an English-speaking audience, and that's not my only target. So change the names...hmm, I say, maybe it's a good time to brush up on your Spanish?

The use of some of the weapons are comical - also I had the idea of the weapons be able to fit in the playing pawns hand, even if they look a bit oversized.

• The blowhorn name makes me think of say, a vuvuzela. I just finished Murder In The Sky, and not once is it called a blowhorn. Changing that to "blowpipe" or "blowdarts" would be less confusing.
This is one change I may look into when it comes to translating these ideas into a game. I think I was trying to avoid calling it a blowpipe because I had lead pipe already. However, as to the weapon, it is styled to be a masquerade horn as the plot is centred around a ball hosted by Mr. Boddy.
• Could you give a bit more detail about the puzzle box? It's a fairly vague item name.
The puzzle box is directly from Fatal Illusion which has poison inside that kills Masque.
3) Flaxseed is a color but when I find myself reading the names, I trip up and say Flacid if I'm saying it quick (might be a personal problem and nitpicky)
Hmm, you're English? Maybe pronouncing it with an English accent would cause that.
6) I think the stethoscope would be an ideal weapon considering that 5 of the suspects are doctors (2 being physicians)
Many of the weapon choices are picked because they have some relevance to the plot. For instance, the boar's head was used to kill Dr. Black's Uncle Eduardo in the trophy room, in the prequel story. The rubber ball comes from the manor's dark room, where photographs and evidence are important to the story. As to the few doctors, I do have the scissors and syringe already to add some medical looking weapons into the mix.
Wait, does the Titanic subplot you mentioned earlier tie into that Titanic themed Clue board you posted in the fan art thread, CluedoKid?
Oh no, not related. That Titanic board mock up was intended to visualize if Marmalade made a Titanic theme.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Oh no, not related. That Titanic board mock up was intended to visualize if Marmalade made a Titanic theme.
Ah, the two just collided in my brain before and I got to wondering if you had plans to utilise it as a prequel or something :D

Personally, I quite like the Spanish names and was going to ask if that was a reflection of the setting. As for the weapons, Clue/Cluedo has a history of impractical and somewhat comical weapons, so I don't see much of a problem with things like the Cannon.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

coinilius wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:59 pm
Ah, the two just collided in my brain before and I got to wondering if you had plans to utilise it as a prequel or something :D

Ah no, well, maybe haha. The only prequel mediums I have at the moment are the book David in Black Manor which is about young Dr. Black witnessing the murder of his horrible Uncle Eduardo at the hands of young Mr. Boddy.

Then there's the animation that starts off on Titanic with Mr. Boddy hallucinating in his stateroom.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Oh nice, even if it was unrelated it was still a good design :D

I'm probably biased, though, as the idea of a murder mystery set on board the Titanic is a concept that has always appealed to me (it's been done before a few times).

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Zoo977 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:21 pm
LIEUTENANT RUBIO - If you don't speak spanish, you're out of luck. Might suggest repurposing the names of one of the comic detectives: Lt. Ochre or Lt. Amarillo.

Also how is Amarillo a better alternative to Rubio, if the names are too latin sounding? Most people on the forum too are familiar with the 70's Spanish edition where some of these surnames come from, including Rubio. If it's because of the recent comics being more familiar, I didn't care for those comics too well, though Bosque and Rubio are sort of a nod to the detectives from it.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

coinilius wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:16 pm Oh nice, even if it was unrelated it was still a good design :D

I'm probably biased, though, as the idea of a murder mystery set on board the Titanic is a concept that has always appealed to me (it's been done before a few times).

It's too good to resist. I at first thought Save Dr. Lucky was set on Titanic, except the board resembles nothing compared to the real thing.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

I own a game called 13 Clues and one of the weapons in that game is a Blowgun if that helps with the name suggestion for that weapon.

Also with the Spanish names, I'll admit that it is a little tough to get my tongue around it but I do need some practice but I could either Spell out the name which is how my Dad does it or just say the rolls of the character.

The Chauffeur in the Hall with the Cannon / The Lieutenant in the Seance Room with the Scissors / The Footman in the Kitchen with the Candlestick

Also sorry for this dumb question but I really don't wanna assume and it's something I've been pondering over for a while now but what gender is Lt. Rubio? The title, the name and the clothing is saying male but the footwear and the hairstyle says female. I also notice that the suspects aren't evenly divided. More males then females

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

CluedoKid wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:21 pm
coinilius wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:16 pm Oh nice, even if it was unrelated it was still a good design :D

It's too good to resist. I at first thought Save Dr. Lucky was set on Titanic, except the board resembles nothing compared to the real thing.
It's meant to be set on the Titanic, unless they've changed it in newer releases, but the board design isn't really trying to capture the real Titanic. There are some nice looking boards for it out there, though.

The history of the Titanic in board games is probably a thread all of it's own :lol:

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Black wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:54 pm I own a game called 13 Clues and one of the weapons in that game is a Blowgun if that helps with the name suggestion for that weapon.
Blowgun is a good way to describe the weapon itself. It's a cosmetic detail though. I'll give it thought. Ultimately, the weapon is party horn rigged with a lethal dart. There's a chance I may even revise it further and call it the "Dinner Horn."
Black wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:54 pmAlso sorry for this dumb question but I really don't wanna assume and it's something I've been pondering over for a while now but what gender is Lt. Rubio? The title, the name and the clothing is saying male but the footwear and the hairstyle says female. I also notice that the suspects aren't evenly divided. More males then females
Rubio is female. Here's the concept art for her and Bosque.

I abandoned the even distribution of male and female, that detail wasn't important to me as it was to include characters I wanted in the game.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Zoo977 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:21 pm
• This last one's a bit selfish, so I'm putting it last. But I've always admired your art here. And seeing you draw Nurse Bluebell, a character I made up a few years ago... I have to admit, that really hit me in the heartstrings. I'm delighted you wanted to use her, thank you so much man. I may put that sprite in my diary :D
Oh yes, I should give you credit for Nurse Bluebell. It sounded good in my head and couldn't recall where I heard it before on the forums. I did a bit of a fix though, your Bluebell had an aqua shade while I discovered bluebells are actually more violet.

ClueLover98
Slueth

Post by ClueLover98 »

Since we're on the topic of the character's gender, is Admiral Aqua male or female?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Ah, Aqua's male. :)

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Aqua would look good as a female character as well, the cut of that jacket is very flattering.

I like the concept art including the characters holding the various weapons.