General/Site Thoughts

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Michael
Mastermind

General/Site Thoughts

Post by Michael »

I've been collecting Clue games now for almost twenty years. I remember the first time I found an old Clue game in a garage sale and was shocked at how different it looked. The box, the board, the suspects. It was all different, mysterious and exciting. Then I found another. And another. They were all different.

That was the early 90s. Before there was internet. I relied on writing letters to game companies and hunting garage sales to "discover" new editions.

It was fun!

By the time I went to college and the internet had finally become mainstream I'd amassed an impressive collection and was pleasantly surprised to find a couple other websites about the game. Paul's Cluedofan website was pretty extensive, but lacked the images of the games I wanted to see. Jaime's website was irreverently funny with loads of re-readability. They were enjoyable for what they were. And, of course, there were the yahoo groups - multiple ones - where we could all discuss the game. But without being a thread based forum, it was hard to use.

Explaining my collection to people I met in real life was hard because nobody seemed to realize - as I had - that there were so many editions with unique artwork (keep in mind that this was before the proliferation of junk versions of the game today). So I created this site as a way to highlight my collection and showcase The Art of Murder.

That was six years ago!

I've seen so many Clue sites and forums pop up in the meantime. Most of them very derivative or too commercial with nothing truly new to add. Occasionally, we'd see real innovation like the fabulous "Welcome to Boddy Mansion" site or Depboy's Clue Soap Opera. Something to add to the community!

But most of the typical site creators gave up (got bored?, grew up?, moved on?), and stopped work on their sites, letting them die slowly. I didn't want that to happen to me so I pressed on despite having really grown up myself a bit in these last six years.

But today I noticed that I haven't added a new game to my site since January! If you'd asked me, I would have said it had only been a few months, but it's been nine.

I have a pile of games that need to be added. I buy them now out of habit and I no longer rush to do so. In fact, I just got three new games a couple weeks ago and the only one I opened was the Mystery at Sea game because it was truly new and different. The Family Guy game and some other "reissue" game still sit shrink wrapped in a box.

It's the same old same old in a new package.

I guess I just feel a little sad that I no longer make my weekly treks to Toys R Us. I no longer scour eBay daily. I haven't torn through a garage sale in YEARS.

The thrill of the hunt is gone; replaced by a few clicks of the keyboard.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

That's actually kinda sad if you think about it. In all true I'm done collecting as well. I've got all the editions that I need. I don't want the 'repeats' in another language. I'd say the fun of my collecting stage stopped when I bought the hard to get editions like Passport and Super Cluedo.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

What do you mean the fun is over? What's stopping you from writing some snarky articles about the Reinvention and it's odious spin-offs?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

Well, I do enjoy the snark...

I don't know. Maybe I'm just feeling melancholy today.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Well it seems Paul Howls heard you howl about lack of site activity. In other words, he just made the first update in a few months.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

I feel your pain, Michael. There's only one game I really want to add to my collection that I don't have. Everyhing else falls into some variation of a game I already have, because of some unique feature not in the primary editions. The various earlier UK boxes for instance - sort of uninspiring because what's inside the box is the same as every other edition. And as cacums points out, I'm not particularly interested in delving into the foreign editions either, many of which don't add much to the English versions. Plus shipping is a killer.

As a result of the internet, I have amassed an almost complete collection of every major edition, including a couple of the European ones, in a very short time. Therefore, I am now just looking for deals on the bits and pieces comprising the variants. Like Michael, the new games aren't very exciting to me, so Im not even really looking at them now, but suspect as soon as I pick up a few more bargains to fill out the odd variations of the standard editions, I'll probably start collecting those for the sake of completeness ... There's a name for that kind of disorder, right? ;-)

But, Micheal, you're not wrong. The internet has taken some of the fun out of exploring and collecting, learning and sharing. If a person wants something, it's almost a certainty it will be for sale within a week or two of first feeling the desire, if not immediately. Kind of sad really ... most of the spirit of the hunt has been removed from collecting, turning most of us into hoarders, allowing us to acquire faster than we can manage ... or appreciate.

A Touch of Murder
Snoop

Post by A Touch of Murder »

Congratulations.

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum »

Don't give up hope yet, Mike!
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 »

I still consider Clue to be my favorite board game, but I agree, it has sort of lost its luster. That's pretty obvious by my lack of activity on this site. Still lurk, but there really isn't anything I want out of Clue anymore. I got the games I wanted, and the new ones don't hold much interest for me. We've been over this on the site countless times, so there's nothing more to add to that. It's sad, because I really liked this site, in fact I still do, but I'm just not sure what to say or contribute anymore. Add on top of that a busy work week and the fact that I'm rarely at my own apartment, and you have me not on this site. Which is sad, I've been a member for almost six years now. I checked it as much as facebook.

Perhaps if they get the game right or the new movie will breath life into my interest in Clue again.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation »

I love Clue and everything, but in the last little bit, I've found myself more and more inspired by the Golden Age mysteries that inspired it. (Ah, the treasures you can find among those authors... Agatha Christie, John D*ckson Carr, Michael Innes, Edmund Crispin, Christianna Brand, Rex Stout, Clayton Rawson, Dorothy L. Sayers, Ellery Queen, etc. The list goes on.) I'm part of another forum for them, and encouraged by the members, I wrote my own story about an impossible murder in a movie theatre with nobody approaching the corpse. (I'm in the process of rewriting it entirely because of several new ideas and wanting to change the detective.)
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

I tried finding a book by Christiana Brand at the bookstore based on your recommendation in the past, but couldn't find anything. She sounds like an interesting writer!

Your story sounds interesting too! If you want someone to proofread or critique it, I'd be happy to help out!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation »

Brand is excellent, generally speaking, but I'd avoid Suddenly at His Residence by all means. It starts off promising enough, almost like a parody of the traditional millionnaire-murdered-before-altering-his-will scenario (he'd change his will at the drop of a hat), but pretty soon, solution after solution after solution is presented. In fact, that's the entire novel. X is accused of the murder, complains to Y, and suddenly gets a brilliant idea how Z could've done it. Z, meanwhile, shouts out that they can prove Y is the killer. God, it's awful. And the solution finally presented has a bunch of holes in it, plus it would not have worked as smoothly as Brand tries to convince you. But really, that one's far from the typical Brand. Green for Danger is excellent, as is Fog Of Doubt, which both have riveting characters and very good mysteries in which you actually care whether the murderer is discovered.

As for my story, I've still got the original draft which I can send along if you want. I'm not entirely happy with it, which is why I'm rewriting, but I'll probably be changing the solution so I don't see any harm in it. My worst problem is my relatively bland and colourless detective.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

I'd like to read your story as well, please, go_leafs.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

email it to me, Go. michael @ theartofmurder.com

I need something to read on the plane tonight. I was planning on working on my murder mystery party game, but prefer anything and everything I can do to procrastinate. Besides, my usual monthly writer's group didn't meet this last month and I'm dying to feel constructive... (as long as it's not my own work, that is!)

ColJaime
Snoop

Post by ColJaime »

Ah, Michael, I know how you feel.