How do you see Mrs. Peacock?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Middle aged, but still very glamorous socialite.
44%
The prim and proper lady of the manor.
19%
An older lady, with a penchant for gossip.
13%
Or other (please list).
25%

Total votes: 16

A Touch of Murder
Snoop

Post by A Touch of Murder »

How do you envision the grande dame of Clue/do?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

The problem with your options is that there is little distinction between your choices. The prim and proper Peacock and the Peacock with a penchant for gossip could be the same person.

Not unlike the young, exotic Peacock from the Franklin Mint game who is drastically different from the older, proper Peacock.

A Touch of Murder
Snoop

Post by A Touch of Murder »

I dont know how to change the poll... I dont think you can.

I guess here are a few personified examples.

A) The glamorous socialite- one of the lady's off the show Dynasty. Sable Colby for example.
B) The prim and proper lady of the manor- think Susan George's Mrs. Peacock from the UK TV series.
C) The older gossip- Lady Constance from Gosford Park.
D) Other

Black
Bindle Stiff

Re: How do you see Mrs. Peacock?

Post by Black »

A Touch of Murder wrote:How do you envision the grande dame of Clue/do?
With my eyes.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

Mrs. Peacock to me will always be the Master Detective peacock. But I like the 1949UK version too.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

Michael wrote:Mrs. Peacock to me will always be the Master Detective peacock. But I like the 1949UK version too.
Now that's just weird. We just did this over on this thread. MD Peacock couldn't be more different than any other Peacock ever imagined, and is 180 degrees away from 1949 UK Peacock with her diamond tiara. MD is without a doubt the exception to the rule and the furthest from how she was intended. Odd that you find her the quintessential Peacock. Was MD the first Clue game you ever had?

MD Peacock reminds me of Elsa Lanchester, who played Jessica Marples in Murder By Death and this type of character. She's neither socialite nor busybody, but a keep-to-herself, dedicated ornithologist, who cares little for social interaction, nor is interested in anyone else's business. I get the sense with her that her birds mean everything to her to the exclusion of all else.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

I too love the Master Detective Mrs. Peacock.
(Michael could verify this, but I recall him saying that Master Detective was his first Clue game.)

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

You have a good memory. It was my first Clue game. :)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Michael wrote: It was my first Clue game.
Well that explains that ;-)

How interesting. It must have been fascinating to go backwards to fewer suspects, rooms and weapons. I have never actually played any of the expansion games, but it seems a completely different experience. Did you miss the extra elements when you played your first basic Clue?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

I didn't get a regular Clue game for several years after I had MD. But it never bothered me. I still would prefer to play MD over regular, though.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

MD is a great edition.

But as for my ideal Peacock, I preferr a young 30-35, Ginger haired socialite who is hiding her bolemia from her friends in order to maintain her beautiful figure.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

Prim and proper lady ornithologist who likes to dress glamarously during social events. Strict and professional but with a batty side.

That's how I see her, anyway.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

cacums wrote:MD is a great edition.

But as for my ideal Peacock, I preferr a young 30-35, Ginger haired socialite who is hiding her bolemia from her friends in order to maintain her beautiful figure.
Sounds like the 2003 Mrs. Peacock. :wink:

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue »

I think of her as a very wealthy socialite between the ages of 50 and 75 with a tiara, over-the-top peacock feathers, and jewelry. She loves to gossip and wallow in her own riches.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

CluedoKid wrote:Sounds like the 2003 Mrs. Peacock. :wink:
I actually like 2003 Peacock and White alot, only if they had been portrayed the correct way instead of computer animated, then I would have really like 2003.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak »

MD is my favorite Peacock of all time, and I do prefer that sort of Peacock, especially in the games. Though, if I'm writing, she tends to be the glamorous type, especially if I want it to be more "real" and less "campy." I mean, writing her as a bird lady's no fun unless I can exaggerate it.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

cacums wrote:
CluedoKid wrote:Sounds like the 2003 Mrs. Peacock. :wink:
I actually like 2003 Peacock and White alot, only if they had been portrayed the correct way instead of computer animated, then I would have really like 2003.

The whole bolemia thing just sounds too People magazine/Discover the Secrets for my liking. I just keep thinking of Scarlet saying something along the lines of, "like, OMG, she's got like, a eating disorder! That is soooo wrong."

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

I will admit that I hated the idea of Mrs. Peacock being Miss Scarlet's mother, but I've warmed up to the idea. But only after reading Duncan's Clue play in which they don't hold back any animosity toward each other. It often had me laughing out loud. So I can see Peacock as a bit of a vain socialite as well.

TOO MANY CHOICES! It makes my head hurt.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Michael wrote:TOO MANY CHOICES! It makes my head hurt.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Cluedo. LOL

Perhaps every version of Mrs. Peacock should be represented as a different character. The elderly nosy busybody is Grandmother Peacock. The socialite and ornithologist are the daughters – sisters who have gone very different ways. The young Mrs. Peacock is the daughter of the ornithologist who aspires to be more like her socialite aunt, and jealous of her spoiled cousin Miss Scarlett (spelled with two "t"s) who takes her mother (Mrs. Peacock the socialite), for granted.

Miss Scarlet (spelled with one "t") then, is unrelated to Mrs. Peacock's daughter Miss Scarlett – perhaps she is the alluring Asian spy.

I have to go take a Tylenol now (I hope it's not poisoned).

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev »

I still say she's the female intellectual, Plum's counterpart. That she abuses science to make money and play god. And that medical training doesn't prevent one from being a gossip, or thinking yourself a grand dame.