Gosford Park Clue

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

cyanideIlovecyanide
Snoop

Gosford Park Clue

Post by cyanideIlovecyanide »

Has anyone ever made a homemade Clue game based on Gosford Park? There's a tremendous number of suspects, but a limited number of weapons (knife, poison, revolver, rifle) unless one adds in obvious substitutes that don't figure prominently in the movie.

Anyone have read on the layout of the rooms on the ground floor?

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Huh

Post by Lord Caspen »

I don't know how you're going to trim down the list of suspects. There's a total of forty or fifty people, easy. Weapons ... Eh, I think beyond poison and knife and rifle and perhaps revolver, you can just do what you like. I mean, it's a big country place with all kinds of lethality just lying around.

There is an entry hall. Put that north in the middle. Immediately south of that is the red saloon/drawing room. East of the entry hall is the staircase hall. South of the stairs and connecting to the red room is the blue drawing room. There's a connection between the staircase hall and the dining room immediately east, which also connects to the blue drawing room.

The library is immediately east of the red room.

Beyond that, there isn't very much by which to pin down the ground floor rooms.

The ground floor of the servant wing is on a plane with the basement of the main house.

If you watch enough times, you can probably pick out landmarks by which to work out exactly where each room is in relation to the others.

I hope that helps.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Huh

Post by Murder by Death »

Lord Caspen wrote:I don't know how you're going to trim down the list of suspects. There's a total of forty or fifty people, easy.
I don't remember the film that well (good excuse to rent it again), but looking at Wikipedia, it would seem there are only 28 central characters, and of them, only half are major players.

As I recall, the pool of actual suspects was somewhat smaller. Wouldn't it be a simple matter of limiting the suspects to that pool, or the 14 main characters, or alternately, offer all 28+ suspects in a deck, which one would shuffle and deal out 6 to 10 cards (depending on the Clue model used), and those would be the suspects for each new game?

In fact Mr. Sterling Silver could use a similar method to randomize the suspects in his Mega-Clue-do extravaganza.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer »

You could shrink the list of suspects down to the ones that actually had the oppurtunity to commit the murder - i.e., all of the men who left the drawing room at the time, Mrs. Wilson, and Parks.
"It is my opinion that your detective stories are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated, life-hating, ignoble minds."

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Suspects

Post by Lord Caspen »

Presumably, Sir William McCordle is the victim.

UPSTAIRS
1. Lady Sylvia McCordle
2. Miss Isobel McCordle
3. Constance, Countess of Trentham
4. Raymond, Lord Stockbridge
5. Louisa, Lady Stockbridge
6. Lady Lavinia Meredith
7. Lt Cmdr Anthony Meredith
8. Lord Rupert Standish
9. Mr Jeremy Blond
10. The Hon Freddie Nesbitt
11. Mrs Mabel Nesbitt
12. Mr Ivor Novello
13. Mr Morris Weissman

DOWNSTAIRS
Resident Male Staff
14. Jennings, the butler
15. Probert, Sir William's valet
16. George, first footman
17. Arthur, second footman
18. Mr Strutt, the groundskeep
19. Fred, hallboy
20. Albert, hallboy
21. Jim, hallboy

Resident House Staff
22. Mrs Wilson, housekeeper
23. Lewis, Lady Sylvia's maid
24. Elsie, head housemaid
25. Ethel, housemaid
26. Maud, housemaid
27. Janet, housemaid
28. Dorothy, still-room maid

Resident Kitchen Staff
29. Mrs Croft, cook
30. Bertha, head kitchenmaid
31. Ellen, kitchenmaid
32. Lottie, kitchenmaid
33. May, scullery maid
XX. Dorothy, still-room maid

Visiting Servants
34. MacEachran, Lady Trentham's maid
35. Merriman, Lady Trentham's chauffeur
36. Parks, Lord Stockbridge's valet
37. Renee, Lady Stockbridge's maid
38. Barnes, Cmdr Meredith's valet
39. Sarah, Lady Lavinia's maid
40. Denton, Mr Weissman's valet

And I love Stephen Fry, so I think it'd be in very bad taste somehow not to include:

OUTSIDERS
41. Inspector Thompson and
42. Constable Dexter

There are beaters and loaders and grooms, too, but they aren't even called by name in the script so I figured it better to leave them out.

I'm not saying don't do it, or it can't be done, or it's so very hard you probably won't want to have bothered. I'm saying, know the work, and know that there are a lot of cuts to be made if you want to keep the cast manageable.

Unless, of course, you decide to drop the regular Clue format and develop a different kind of engine.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

munitzer wrote:You could shrink the list of suspects down to the ones that actually had the oppurtunity to commit the murder - i.e., all of the men who left the drawing room at the time, Mrs. Wilson, and Parks.
So Meredith, George, Mrs. Wilson and Parks would total up to a whopping 4 suspects.
SUPPORT - Follow my progress of my expanded Clue edition -
www.patreon.com/gothicgreenhouse

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer »

Mr. Nesbitt would also be included, so that is five, and considering that is only one less the standard six in Clue, I don't see that as being too low.

You could also abridge the list of suspects to those who had obvious motives: Commander Meredith, the Countess of Trentham, Parks, Mrs. Wilson, and Mrs. Croft. Others could be included and better motives attached to them.

The two could work well together, especially considered their styles. It'd all be in the approach, though.

Forget not that there was also a billiard room.
Last edited by munitzer on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is my opinion that your detective stories are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated, life-hating, ignoble minds."

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Strange

Post by Lord Caspen »

What I find very strange is that they did release a limited edition version of a Gosford Park game, and as I recall, that game was almost entirely about escaping the house, as opposed to solving any murders.

I think a mystery game could be made, and it could reasonably carry the Clue logo, but it would have to be mostly about narrowing down the overall list of suspects as opposed to getting a suspect/weapon/room combination.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.