New Classic-Style CLUE Game

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

ndx47a2b
Suspect

Post by ndx47a2b »

-edit-
Last edited by ndx47a2b on Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Here is a picture of the box for the first card game, Murder by Death

So my board game came in yesterday. I don't know what to think of it. It's pretty much what we saw in the pictures. The pawns are reused from the 1949 reproduction, so are the notes and weapons.

The board is awesome, and I am so glad I got it. But, sadly, that might be the only piece I use out of the set. It's going to be so nice to put this board into one of my 1996 games. I think that it'll be perfect.

And no, the room cards were not changed to match the new board. So everything is a little off. Nevertheless, it's worth it for the board. That is still my favorite board out of all the ones out there (Except maybe the 50th anniversary board).
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

ndx47a2b wrote: Weapons: rope, scarf, chain, oar, telescope and gaff.
Three strangling, two hitting, and one impaling. Thats an odd combination. I would have liked to have Mrs. White put a flare gun put to Boddy's head or have Mrs. Peacock shoot a harpoon through him.

Thanks for the information :)

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue »

I might actually get this! Boats and Clue don't seem like a fitting combination, but I think it might work!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

I disagree. I always imagined a Clue/Titanic hybrid being created some day.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

ndx47a2b wrote:Boddy does not look like a real person like the others. He is much more of an oil painting.
Oh the horror ... would it kill these people to commission some original artwork? Is there some kind of clause in the license agreement prohibiting anyone but Hasbro from creating original art? At least it sounds like they are setting the interloper's contribution apart from Struzan's, making it obviously different, rather than imply Struzan created it like the pathetic reverend. But still, they should never mix-and-match artwork by different artists. It cheapens the whole affair. Speaking of which ...
TheWhitePawn wrote:So my board game came in yesterday. The pawns are reused from the 1949 reproduction, so are the notes and weapons. And no, the room cards were not changed to match the new board.
Huh!?! Really!?! The rooms don't even match!? Now it really is just two games thrown together, like you lost the board or the parts and just combined whatever was missing from the other. They should call this one the "Yard Sale Edition".

I'm glad you liked the board at least. It's still a bit bright looking for my taste. One of the things I liked about that board was how it began the trend toward the dark and mysterious atmosphere, which culminated so well in 2002 game board. The brighter green and white logo is a bit much for me with the white floor tiles.
cacums wrote:Three strangling, two hitting, and one impaling. Thats an odd combination
Not really. No more odd than 3 bludgeoning, 1 stabbing, 1 strangling & 1 shooting of the original game. Don't forget the knife and gun can bludgeon too. If anything the rope is truly odd, especially when you consider one of the goals in Clue is to figure out how the murder was committed. At least the goal in this card game is not to figure out who is trying to escape – hello? Hint: It's the person who ins't with the group! LOL

Until we see the card, though, gaff could also be a bludgeoning instrument if it refers to one of the booms in the rigging, not a fishing hook. So that's three bludgeoning and three strangling and has symmetry, though still illogical that upon examining the victim one couldn't narrow it down to just three. Perhaps this is a good opportunity to have the victim thrown overboard so the body cannot be examined.

On the other hand, Cacums, you are one sick puppy! ;-) But not only would a flare gun be messy and hard to conceal, it would make a lot of noise and likely burn down the yacht.
fendue wrote:Boats and Clue don't seem like a fitting combination, but I think it might work!
Agatha Christie, Death on the Nile – works just fine.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

True, the gaff could be used to bludgeon, but not so much the first method that comes to mind as getting hooked in the eye.

Also, I think the chains make a better whipping death, rather than strangulation.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

CluedoKid wrote:I disagree. I always imagined a Clue/Titanic hybrid being created some day.
Hasn't that already been attempted a few times on this very forum?

Either way, what a great story that would make. Imagine a murder mystery told on an unidentified boat, where six suspects are detained and questioned. At the very end, the murder remains unsolved and the murderer thinks he has gotten away with murder, only to then reveal the boat they are on is the Titanic!
CluedoKid wrote:I think the chains make a better whipping death, rather than strangulation.
I agree. Most likely they are a bludgeoning weapon. So the only thing missing is a projectile weapon, which I am mostly inclined to believe the revolver was used for bludgeoning anyway just to solve my little logic problem (I have a theory about the rope too). Unless the gaff is not a fishing hook – smacking someone with a boom is not the most effective weapon though, plus can you see Mrs. White doing it?

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock »

It's nice to finally be excited about some new CLUE games, especially after the disappointment that was 2009. I'm adding that new card game to my B-day list, along with the "Classic" game.

Thank you, Winning Moves.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

TheWhitePawn wrote:So my board game came in yesterday. I don't know what to think of it. It's pretty much what we saw in the pictures. The pawns are reused from the 1949 reproduction, so are the notes and weapons.
Hey, I forgot to ask, can you clarify whether the tokens are antiqued brass as they appear on the new box art? Or are they the same pewter tokens used in the 1949 re-issue edition? And is the rope string, plastic or pewter?

So the pawns are wooden or plastic?

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

has there ever been a edition where the rope pewter?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Black wrote:has there ever been a edition where the rope pewter?
Yes, it was optional with the 1949 re-issue (which also included the string). It was gold-toned pewter only in the LGE. This is the "classic" rope style. The rope is pewter in the 50th Anniversary, and the Franklin Mint editions (where it is also 14K gold plated), and Passport to Murder uses the 50th Anniversary weapons and Master Detective/Super Cluedo uses antiqued brass ropes. All of which is the noose-style rope, rather than the classic coil. I also forgot, the Dunhill/Parker edition uses a pewter rope coil as well as optional Sterling silver (but it is different than the classic coil).

This picture also seems to indicate that there was a Cluedo pewter/gold-tone rope, but I don't know what edition it would have been used with.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer »

"It is my opinion that your detective stories are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated, life-hating, ignoble minds."

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Hmmm, it's neat, but I can't get past the crappy cut-and-paste job.

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue »

I've seen worse cut and paste jobs, trust me. One looked like it was done by a newborn monkey, at best.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer »

a clearer, larger shot from BoarGameGeek

"It is my opinion that your detective stories are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated, life-hating, ignoble minds."

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

munitzer wrote:a clearer, larger shot from BoarGameGeek
Interesting, it appears that unlike the previous game, there are only six locations on the yacht.

Too bad Body is being kept hidden from the marketing materials, he's really the single most interesting aspect of this game I am dying to get a look at.

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt »

I don't like the looks of the boat game, but the new edition I want. It looks gorgeous. Frig, I need a job.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

I've been busy lately and haven't posted in a while but I'm super exited about this game, justbecause I love Clue: The Card Game and now that this one is again bach to the regular mystery of Who Where and What I think it's even better. I got a huge image of it so you can see everything in detail, especially the board:

So the game doesn't look like they put much effort into the artwork, the weapon card for the Chain looks pretty cheap but overall I'm happy that there is finally a Clue game on a boat and a never version of the Card Game. I just hate that Boddy is a suspect. Dr. Black would have been a better choice.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Poirotfrmda818 wrote: So the game doesn't look like they put much effort into the artwork, the weapon card for the Chain looks pretty cheap but overall I'm happy that there is finally a Clue game on a boat and a never version of the Card Game. I just hate that Boddy is a suspect. Dr. Black would have been a better choice.
That's for sure. Never been a big fan of first person POV, overlaid onto what is otherwise a bird's eye view floorplan, and thanks to the enormous image you've provided, the pictures look almost like Getty images, cut and paste into the game.

Overall, I do like the look and feel of this game better than their new boardgame. Wish they would have just re-used the Struzan artwork for it, but as I speculated, there is probably some licensing issues.

No getting around Mr. Boddy for the US edition, though. He is the officially licensed victim. Dr. Black is licensed for territories outside the US. And you can JUST see the edge of him under Mrs. Peacock! Blast what a tease!!