New Classic-Style CLUE Game

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Hey guys. I'm so sorry for being so absent lately. So after seeing this video, I opened up my deck of cards and sure enough, they ARE updated. And they are on the board artwork too. I don't know why they looked weird to me when I first got the game. I didn't want to open all the pieces when I got the game since I knew I wouldn't be playing it. Maybe I'll move the board back into this set and just play this game after all.

BUT... my game DEFINITELY came with the wooden pawns from the 1949 re-issue. I don't even know what those ugly plastic things are. Mine was from Amazon, not directly from Winning Moves, so maybe they changed the design?
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

TheWhitePawn wrote:my game DEFINITELY came with the wooden pawns from the 1949 re-issue.
Missed that banner of yours!

Assume pewter weapons too (not bronze as on the box)?

Good to know. Hopefully those aren't the replacements once they ran out of wooden tokens.

What does the back of the box look like?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I actually like the pawns seen on the video..

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

You know what else I just realized? The video and box cover show an opaque die, but the one that I got is transparent. Both of them red, though.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I just opened it. I got the plastic pieces (which I love!).

The board is crisper and cleaner than any board I've seen.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

cacums wrote:I got the plastic pieces (which I love!).
Well, I'm happy for you. However, those plastic pieces don't match the cards, or any Clue/Cluedo cards which depict the pawns for that matter. How is that classic?

Are the tokens solid or hollow?

Pewter colored weapon tokens?

Looks like the general consensus is that the board alone is worth the investment, unless of course you hate that design. ;-)

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

The tokens are solid and are a bit heavier than normal pawns. The weapons are just like the 1949 remake weapons except this has a traditional pipe and candlestick

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

cacums wrote:The weapons are just like the 1949 remake weapons except this has a traditional pipe and candlestick
I believe that was always the case with the LGE & '49.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

No, the pipe and candlestick i got in those were different..

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

cacums wrote:No, the pipe and candlestick i got in those were different..
Really? How so?

Look at Michael's pictures of those editions, and others, including boardgamegeek. Even the replacement set I got use the traditional candlestick and lead pipe.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

The candlestick is taller and the pipe is more like the card shows. Not bend in one place but several.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

cacums wrote:The candlestick is taller and the pipe is more like the card shows. Not bend in one place but several.
You mean taller & more bent in LGE & '49, or in the new game?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

49 reproduction

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

cacums wrote:49 reproduction
Interesting. That means they have actually changed the tokens they presumably created for the LGE & '49 game.

That's very odd. Why change them if they already had molds for them? To save money on the extra pewter? Then why not switch to the plastic rope? But I see it now in the video, the candlestick is the same size as the "revolver". It's almost like they bought them from Hasbro (hasbro still makes the lead pipe for the Vintage editions). But then why not buy the rope, knife and wrench too?

And if they did retool, then I am even more frustrated that they made no attempt to fix the knife card to match the token, or vice versa.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

CluedoKid wrote:Boddy strikes me as someone who'd flaunt their wealth to gaudy extremes and looking at the Study or Library in the 1996, it seems to be just the opposite. Especially when the board's main colour is this unattractive green. I never understood why they never made a Clue board that was detailed with the same kind of lavishness as perhaps, Murder at Boddy Mansion ...(Also, no way it is more elaborate than earlier versions!
I finally picked up the 1992 edition and I think I finally understand your observations.

But you specifically single out the Library as being less opulent in the '96 edition and I think that is one of the rooms that's as good as or better than. The problem with the '96 edition seems to be scale. Some rooms suffered because of it, especially the Study. I see now that the fireplace has been removed form the Study in the '96 edition and that's just wrong. In general the '92 game increases the size of the rooms by reducing the size of the furniture and allowing for more variety. I particularly like the addition of the globe in the '92 Study. The '96 game does a very poor job of maintaining internal scale. But in some cases, the '96 rooms are better than the '92. Take a look at Billiard Room in the '92, the billiard table is the size of a king-sized bed. I also prefer the '96 kitchen as it has much more atmosphere, than the pragmatic I Love Lucy kitchen of the '92. Poor Mrs. White, no wonder she wanted to Kill Boddy/Black.

But there's more, and I understand why I don't like the '92 board as much, the more intricate detail in some rooms notwithstanding: the '92 board has a very pastel-looking color scheme. This is in part I think to the medium the artwork was created in. It appears to be colored by watercolor or pencil, which gives it a little more depth than the '86. But the texture gives it a very soft and wispy appearance compared to the strong bold colors of both the cartoonish '86 board and the more dimensional-looking '96 board. Ultimately I prefer the direction the '96 board takes, over the '92 despite the sacrifice of detail in some cases.

I still disagree with the main green color of the '96 board as unattractive. It's appropriately dark and rich, which seems to me, more in keeping with Boddy/Black's opulence than the turquoise and yellow of the earlier boards (I also see Lynn's influence for wanting to set the movie in Miami from that). And while I agree that the mansion should be more lavish, to be fair, MBM has the ability to render the rooms from multiple perspectives and provide closeups of that detail. When you look at the birds-eye-view, MBM has most of the same problems as the gameboards, as well as significantly enlarging the rooms (particularly the Study and Lounge) out of proportion to the overall board to help achieve that.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

The green is dark and lush, true. Overhead though, it looks overused. Also, I don't deny the possible lavishness of the 1996 mansion, especially if you can picture standing inside the room. However, it only works when thought of some deco-minimalist house built possibly in the 1940's. It's a rich-look, yes, but not a style I personally like myself. Even worse is when the mansion advertised on the box is something more extravagant and ostentatious.

Actually, I like the Kitchen of the 1992 game. It's more kitschy, but I can't deny that I have an affection for the over-cozy look they were going for. The big pool table in the Billiard Room doesn't bug me either, but if it were a snooker table, it's size would make more practical sense.

Perhaps the two rooms I do prefer in the 1996 game over 1992 is the Ballroom and Dining Room. Those rooms should be especially regal and lavish and the bold choices of colour bring that out in the 1996 mansion, yet end up looking stale and feminine in the 1992 game.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Nice HD video of the new card game Mystery At Sea in action (in action ... LOL)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn6vNVuAzl0

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

I sent Drew Struzan an e-mail with the link to this collection of cards picture. Like the 50th Anniversary Reverend Green, he did not know that Winning Moves did this either. I think a professional of his stature is used to this kind of mistreatment by now as evidenced by his terse reply – 
"So it goes... ;-("

What saddens me is that it was Hasbro that was responsible for the 50th Anniversary adaptation, they didn't even bother to ask Struzan, as evidenced by his ignorance of it 10 years later. I expect this sort of behavior from them. But I had higher expectations of Winning Moves. It's really an affront to an artist of his caliber, to even suggest by association that the same artist was responsible for the reprehensible portrait of Mr. Boddy.

Just out of curiosity Michael, what are your "typical" issues about Winning Moves that bother you? Overall, they seem to put considerably more care into their games than USAopoly, certainly.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

Actually, you're right. I was thinking USAopoly when I said that about Winning Moves. WM doesn't do too bad with their games - at least they make an effort. But I think the game seems like a cheap way to make buck and isn't really a "quality" game. I only had a few minutes to look through the cards and scan the instructions. I'll try to give it another look in the next week or two. One thing that really irritated me is the card "holder". It's really hard to put the cards and game things back into the box without them spilling all over. The playing pieces - espcially the board - is cheap. The depiction of Mr. Boddy is unforgivable. [edited comment]
Last edited by Michael on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

By the way, I appologize if this was all discussed before, I avoided all mention of the game when it came out so that I could have my own fresh impressions.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?