Clue - Chapman Edition II

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

I'll ask somebody to take some. (But let's wait till I'm a bit better at it first!)

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Okay, with the addition of the Dining Room,

it bumps my card count up to 3 variables in each category.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Also, I am welcoming in both Mr. Green...

...and the Lead Pipe. (Once again, the quality of these pictures is nothing like what they look in real life. I'm having straining faith in my camera...)

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

Love, love, love it!

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Nice

Post by Lord Caspen »

Very nice work, on the Dining Room and on Green. I especially like that the Green picture is kind of an action shot, yes?

I like his face, his expression, and overall his proportions are all completely correct. His style is dapper and yet there is something just a little worn and weary about even his manner of dress. He almost has a sad expression to him, with that pouty mouth and faraway cast to his eyes.

Is there something wrong with his arm? His jacket puffs rather more than I would have expected at his right shoulder, and it looks as though the material right at the shoulder has been pulled forward so that we can see more of the seam than we otherwise would.

Also, at the bottom of the frame, his jacket and vest kind of appear to blend together. This is interesting to me, because the right arm of the jacket is a very dark green -- if the rest of the jacket were that dark, then the distinction from the vest would be very clear.

You do amazing work, CluedoKid. Please keep it coming :)
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Thank you!

I don't know what to say about the arm as I don't use reference material for these pictures. If I recall, I was intending to show that the suit was a little tight on him (to suggest lacking income), so it's a bit of an awkward manuever to adjust his tie. The vest issue is a misunderstanding. See, the vest is tucked into the jacket, so what you think you are seeing as the bottom of the vest is actually a pocket watch chain.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation »

Green is very well-done. He really captures that aura well.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum »

I like Green's card - it's how I imagine him more!
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Post by Lord Caspen »

CluedoKid,

I don't know what to say about the arm as I don't use reference material for these pictures. If I recall, I was intending to show that the suit was a little tight on him (to suggest lacking income), so it's a bit of an awkward manuever to adjust his tie.
Okay, I think that might have a been a misunderstanding there on my part, because I hadn't realized that's what he was doing -- adjusting his tie. I thought perhaps he was popping his knuckles or fiddling with a ring on one finger. Now that I know what he's doing, though, it's obvious and I don't see the others anymore.

The vest issue is a misunderstanding. See, the vest is tucked into the jacket, so what you think you are seeing as the bottom of the vest is actually a pocket watch chain.
I see what you mean, but no, I did understand that was a pocket watch chain. This is what I did ... I tracked the left lapel of the jacket starting at the collar. As it nears his hand, we begin to see the vest poking out from under, so we definitely know that we're still trailing the jacket.

Then we've got the hands in the way. Drop just below the left hand, and the jacket's left side completely disappears. The field of green pinstriped vest terminates where the buttons join the two sides, and is obstructed a little by the pocket watch chain, but otherwise is unbroken.

I want to be clear that the drawing is still excellent. This is merely a problem of perception on my part, where I'm not seeing the jacket at all south of where his hands meet, and I would have thought that I would. For example, if his jacket has a pocket on the lower left side, I cannot see it, and where it would be instead I see only vest.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Here we have the Kitchen...

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

As well as the seductress, Miss Scarlet....

...and an antique Revolver!

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum »

Love the revolver!
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

Fant-abulous! :D

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Adam106 wrote:Love, love, love it!
Did you edit your message here? I could have sworn it said something different earlier.

My thoughts on recent cards --

Scarlet - I wanted to capture a mix of Mrs. Lovett's boisterous cunning and Leslie Ann Warren's audacious personality. Something that reflects her name, rather than an over serious look. I'm very happy with the result, especially the wine glass.

Revolver - I actually had to do a little research for this one. I think I made a good choice since the gun itself is small and easily concealed.

Kitchen - At first I was happy with it, but now I'm wondering if it's a too faded, too old a Kitchen. I'm thinking Boddy would have a more modern Edwardian Kitchen with state of the art appliances. I may end up redoing this one.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

CluedoKid wrote:
Did you edit your message here? I could have sworn it said something different earlier.
Yes, I did. I was just commenting on how much I loved the style, only it didn't really make sense after going back and re-reading it and was worried it wouldn't be percieved correctly, so I just changed it to that.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Great

Post by Lord Caspen »

A great Scarlet, and the Revolver is pretty good. Looking forward to the completion of this.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Adam106 wrote:
CluedoKid wrote:
Yes, I did. I was just commenting on how much I loved the style, only it didn't really make sense after going back and re-reading it and was worried it wouldn't be percieved correctly, so I just changed it to that.
Really? It made perfect sense when I read it.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

CluedoKid wrote:
Adam106 wrote:
CluedoKid wrote: Did you edit your message here? I could have sworn it said something different earlier.
Really? It made perfect sense when I read it.
It was:

How beautiful! I have never seen such an amazing Mr. Green or Lead Pipe before. They're captured fine. The way the style reflects the whole satire of the situation is amazing in itself too. So cool.

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue »

Adam106 wrote: How beautiful! I have never seen such an amazing Mr. Green or Lead Pipe before. They're captured fine. The way the style reflects the whole satire of the situation is amazing in itself too. So cool.
That couldn't be misinterpreted, but it doesn't make much sense.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

I was basically trying to say that I loved the whole elegant, sinister appeal it had whilst retaining a nice sense of comedy (e.g. Mrs. White with the cigar). The perfect way Clue should be adapted.