Clue - Chapman Edition II

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Post Reply
User avatar
Adam106
Hatchet Man
Posts: 5759
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Adam106 »

So freakin' beautiful! :o

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Posts: 3640
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:13 pm
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum »

Fantastic! If it were for sale, I'd buy it straight away! :D
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

User avatar
cacums
Ringer
Posts: 11244
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 am
Location: If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore

Post by cacums »

I wanna play! I wanna play! :) :) :)
Image

Black
Bindle Stiff
Posts: 6372
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: In the Billiard Rm with the Wrench

Post by Black »

An online game would be great. If you do one. I'd like to play.

fendue
Biometrics Examiner
Posts: 1662
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:45 pm
Location: At the foot of the cellar stairs

Post by fendue »

I want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2644
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Post by Murder by Death »

Very Nice. The closeups of the board show a bit more detail and the room names have grown on me. They definitely fit with the style of this edition and the spaces are defined enough to be discerned by all but the biggest troublemaker. One thing that would help is if you had a slightly different shading on adjacent squares, as a real marble floor would. That would make it clear the outline of each square under the words without the boarders.

I can see a Franklin Mint treatment of this game where the spaces are actually clearly etched on the glass top, with the room names printed on the board underneath. Best of both worlds and deserving of such art.

How did you make the busts? – my favorite of all the pawn styles too. My only critique is that some of them sort of look like Zombies. Particularly Mrs. White who looks like Leatherface and Mr. Green whose face looks as though it is melting. Is it the lighting? They actually look like their cards, but the same style doesn't seem to translate as well to 3D.

User avatar
cacums
Ringer
Posts: 11244
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 am
Location: If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore

Post by cacums »

Do you have it coated with lamination?
Image

CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17447
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid »

Murder by Death wrote:How did you make the busts? – my favorite of all the pawn styles too. My only critique is that some of them sort of look like Zombies. Particularly Mrs. White who looks like Leatherface and Mr. Green whose face looks as though it is melting. Is it the lighting? They actually look like their cards, but the same style doesn't seem to translate as well to 3D.
The busts were made out of Super Sculpy. I sculpt them, then bake them for 15 minutes in the oven to harden. True, given such rough material, they do look pretty cartoonish. Your are correct that the lighting from the camera does make the presentation worse. The flash highlights ever little grove and imperfection that is harder to discern with the naked eye.

I felt it would be pointless using my skills to make regular cone and sphere pawns so I just wanted some fun looking busts to complement the game.
cacums wrote:Do you have it coated with lamination?
No. I thought about it and it sure would protect the cards, but I have reservations. Particularly the glossy look that lamentation could give. I like look of the pure paper texture.
Image

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2644
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Post by Murder by Death »

CluedoKid wrote: I just wanted some fun looking busts to complement the game. ...I like look of the pure paper texture.
Well you did that. Good job.

I wonder if there is something you can spray them with that will set the medium yet will have a translucent matte finish? I've seen something similar for preserving charcoal and watercolor. I agree, most consumer laminating products have a sort of cheap luggage tag look. Though I have seen some matte finish laminating products that allow a person to actually write on them, but they are also a bit opaque.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17447
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid »

Here's the notepad.

Image
Last edited by CluedoKid on Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Adam106
Hatchet Man
Posts: 5759
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Adam106 »

Once again, beautiful.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17447
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid »

The colour scheme for the pads (and card backings) is inspired by this site. I've always loved theartofmurder's look.
Image

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune
Posts: 5454
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Lurking the mansion at night

Post by PrinceAzure33 »

I'll start off with the only one thing that's niggling me. It's a good design but I feel like that the notepad doesn't exactly match the feel of everything else in the game. You did everything else in this game by hand so it's a little clashy compared to the board and cards. I actually like it, just not as part of the game, but after all it is just the notepad so I'm not really complaining too much.

That being said, this is a beautiful edition that's a prime example of how hard work and dedication pays off. Absolutely better than the bullcrap Hasbro's been pumping out. I would much rather pay money for an artistic masterpiece that doubles as an entertaining game than a stark, sterile computerized board game version (cough Reinvention cough) Everything's come together wonderfully, and you should be very proud of yourself. :)
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17447
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid »

PrinceAzure33 wrote:I'll start off with the only one thing that's niggling me. It's a good design but I feel like that the notepad doesn't exactly match the feel of everything else in the game. You did everything else in this game by hand so it's a little clashy compared to the board and cards. I actually like it, just not as part of the game, but after all it is just the notepad so I'm not really complaining too much.

That being said, this is a beautiful edition that's a prime example of how hard work and dedication pays off. Absolutely better than the bullcrap Hasbro's been pumping out. I would much rather pay money for an artistic masterpiece that doubles as an entertaining game than a stark, sterile computerized board game version (cough Reinvention cough) Everything's come together wonderfully, and you should be very proud of yourself. :)
Thanks. That's quite a compliment!

As for the notepads, I have to disagree that everything was hand drawn. The card labels, START spaces, Clue titles and secret passage signs have all been typed and printed out. The notepad simply continues this pattern. I realized that notepad looked a little sterile compared to the rest, but I think I fixed that with the little blood splatter for humour.

Besides, the notepad should be organized and readable and I don't think hand-drawing it would give the look I wanted. As well, I'm giving the notepads little holders; one for each suspect.
Image

CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17447
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid »

I gave the weapons a metallic finish.

Image

Oh the box is going to be extra special - a black wooden hinged box I will be assembling myself.
Image

User avatar
Adam106
Hatchet Man
Posts: 5759
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Adam106 »

All too beautiful.

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Posts: 3640
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:13 pm
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum »

Neat, so it'll be one of a kind!
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17447
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid »

It will be one of a kind, no matter what I do to it WarnerPlum. :lol:
Image

User avatar
cacums
Ringer
Posts: 11244
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 am
Location: If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore

Post by cacums »

Will you be posting this in printout form for us member would love to print theartofmurder originals
Image

Black
Bindle Stiff
Posts: 6372
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: In the Billiard Rm with the Wrench

Post by Black »

CluedoKid wrote:It will be one of a kind, no matter what I do to it WarnerPlum. :lol:
.

You could always do an online game or two.

Post Reply