Clue - Chapman Edition II

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Yeah

Post by Lord Caspen »

After all, how much is really lost just because you can't see some squares that are basically identical to every other square on the board ... ? Versus how much information is lost when you cover up these unique and beautiful rooms with only modestly important text.

Also, the sweep the text takes, especially on those corner rooms, gives the house a lot more style than could have been had otherwise. It's got attitude, you know?

EDIT: Oh, and CluedoKid, does the cellar have any significance? I mean, is it a room with a purpose of its own, like the bathroom?
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

I haven't decided on the cellar's purpose, or even if it should have one. I wanted a cellar to pay homage to the regular board's center, and as a spot to put in the game's title.

(Oh, minor grievance - I had to cut the cellar, loo, hall and ballroom in halves in order for the board to fold properly. I'm not fond of the crease, but it was necessary.)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Yeah

Post by Murder by Death »

Lord Caspen wrote:After all, how much is really lost just because you can't see some squares that are basically identical to every other square on the board ... ?
Well that all depends on who's playing. Many have complained about poorly marked doors in some editions, yet how difficult is that to discern even a subtle difference when one knows it's supposed to be there? Then there's the issue of defining a tile enough so that it cannot be questioned as one long space by any player, yes including those who would prefer to cheat?

Nevertheless, I do believe it is a first and is definitely interesting.

Frankly, I would have taken the Cluedo "European" (50th Anniversary Travel) edition approach which has no words on it at all. Even the start spaces are represented by miniatures of the character's faces. If the room is adequately drawn, there should be no question as to its purpose, especially if the card is a clearly identifiable matching image, with the name. As is the case here.

It's a beautiful board, no need for words at all.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

I redid Plum.

I think he is so much better than the first. After he was done, I took the original Plum and tore it up. He is a little older now and I did decide to give him glasses. More importantly, I dumped the vague, dapper and uninteresting pose and gave him some defined hands. He is holding a bottle of wine.

However I'm out of glue, therefore, I cannot glue his label on just yet. You will have to see his picture tomorrow.

I think I'll keep Scarlet. The new Plum is a little bigger than the rest and balances Scarlet's size out better. I'm not as bothered by her card now. This is good because I did love her image.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

He sounds interesting. Can't wait to see him!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

New Plum:

A Mr. Boddy card (just for fun).

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

Love the addition of the wine bottle (which really should be a weapon!) ... and Mr. Boddy. Great characterization of him. They really should include a Mr. Boddy card in every game. Afterall, the suspects should know who they've killed! Hear that Hasbro? It personalizes the game for the players and makes it more real! LOL

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Beautiful as always!

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

Wonderful. The new Plum blends better with the cast than the previous one. Mr. Boddy looks particularly great.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Adam106 wrote:Wonderful. The new Plum blends better with the cast than the previous one. Mr. Boddy looks particularly great.
Thank you. Plum's hand no longer looks like a lump of clay now either. :)

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

No, they're definitely well-defined. :wink:

He seems slightly Christopher Lloyd-ish. Did you base him off the movie version at all?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Yes, definately!

Christopher Lloyd is my all-time favourite Prof. Plum.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Just for fun, I took some shots of how the rooms would look on the Sims 2 based on the shots from the actual cards.

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue »

Wow! The new Plum is amazing. The shots from The Sims 2 are great, and I love the Mr. Boddy card.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Nice

Post by Lord Caspen »

Very nice new Plum. A much larger, more open expression. I'm a little confused by the fact that Boddy's left eye is closed, though I suppose he may just not be getting used to using that monocle in his other eye?

With this new Plum, it's very much harder to see any problems with the Scarlet card -- with the possible exception that she stands too high in the frame. With everyone else, there's a gap between the top of the head and the bottom of the nameplate -- but with Scarlet, we have the impression that she's standing on some special kind of step, out of sight.

The Sims 2 shots are really very pretty, and a good adaptation. Is there a whole house to go with them, or did you only create rooms sufficiently similar to match the shots?
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Re: Nice

Post by CluedoKid »

Lord Caspen wrote:Very nice new Plum. A much larger, more open expression. I'm a little confused by the fact that Boddy's left eye is closed, though I suppose he may just not be getting used to using that monocle in his other eye?
The closed eye alludes to his tragic fate.
Lord Caspen wrote:With this new Plum, it's very much harder to see any problems with the Scarlet card -- with the possible exception that she stands too high in the frame. With everyone else, there's a gap between the top of the head and the bottom of the nameplate -- but with Scarlet, we have the impression that she's standing on some special kind of step, out of sight.
Yes, at first Scarlet's height on her card did bother me, but now not so much. I wanted to include as much of her body as possible. However, Peacock's head reaches her name plate as well, so I suppose it works out that Scarlet and Peacock are the tallest in their pictures. Mustard and Plum just a nick below with White and Green as the shortest.

Lord Caspen wrote:The Sims 2 shots are really very pretty, and a good adaptation. Is there a whole house to go with them, or did you only create rooms sufficiently similar to match the shots?
Yes there is a whole house. I used it as a guideline for my board. However, it was built with that sole purpose in mind and hasn't been developed further unlike the Master Detective Sims mansion I built.
Last edited by CluedoKid on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 »

I love the new Plum. A great addition. And the board is wonderful. I like the titles of the rooms outside. It makes the rooms look cleaner. Like someone said, I like the ones that curl around the corner rooms. It adds a great style to the already beautiful board.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Thanks, glad you like it.

Suspect busts and weapon tokens are completed as well.

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue »

Wow.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

So the game is starting to come to life. I can't wait to play it!

(Now who wants to play?)

THINGS STILL TO DO:

-Complete box

-Complete notepads

-Make envelope

-Find dice

-Voila!