Another new Clue game! Clue: Secrets in Paris

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

TheWhitePawn wrote:No, I mean the actual Nostalgia edition Cluedo: The Library edition from Target has a pure white background,the color bars at the the top and bottom of each card have almost been doubled in size
Ah, well the Cluedo Edition (2007?) appears to be identical packaged to the 2002 US Clue edition in the same blonde box. And I only ever saw it at Target so that explains my confusion (the red box was just for example). These also appear to be identical to the original 1963 designs. But I do see what you mean about the Target Library version. Interestingly, the backgrounds are off-white in the original 2005 Library version, though for some inexplicable reason they thickened the color bars as you observed. Odd. Seems like an unnecessary expense. I take it you bought the 2009 library edition in order to note the pure white backgrounds. Again, a seemingly unnecessary step. The entire 2009 edition seems somewhat cheaper in quality, could the removal of colour be a cost saving measure? Odd.

While you might prefer an earlier edition ... they seem to be the only game in town (no pun intended) when it comes to buying a new version of Classic Clue, or Cluedo for that matter.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Murder by Death wrote:Interestingly, the backgrounds are off-white in the original 2005 Library version, though for some inexplicable reason they thickened the color bars as you observed. Odd. Seems like an unnecessary expense. I take it you bought the 2009 library edition in order to note the pure white backgrounds.
Actually no... I only have the 2005 and it definitely isn't off white. I didn't buy the redesigned version because I figured that the parts were identical.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

TheWhitePawn wrote:Actually no... I only have the 2005 and it definitely isn't off white.
Check your actual copyright date on the box. I believe there was a 2005, 2007 & the newly updated one with a new cover 2009. I have a sneaking suspicion the change occurred with the 2007 edition. If not then perhaps it has to do with where the games where manufactured ...

You know the reason I asked, is because Michael's 2005 edition on this site has the off-white cards with the thicker colour bars.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

I think I know what the problem is now... Michael's cards are not off white.

You'd know what I mean by off white if you saw the Nostalgia cards. As you can see, Mrs. White's outfit is the same color as the background. That's not the case with the Nostalgia version.

It's easier to see the difference if you owned both versions.

Compare those scans with Michael's Nostalgia card scans. Mrs. White's outfit is clearly much lighter than the background.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

TheWhitePawn wrote:I think I know what the problem is now... Michael's cards are not off white.
I think you are right. The lighting in his photos is warm creating an illusion between her dress and the background being different. What a really odd change.

Quadsworth
Slueth

Post by Quadsworth »

Nice find on that frontgate thing. This arises a while new group of complications. It has the couch from the premier edition, and a blank side plate. Curiously, the floor is different. Hmmm...

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Just looking at the Amazon.co.uk site, it appears as though there are two versions of Classic Cluedo that are being currently sold (based on prices and "buy new"). But I don't know enough about UK vendors to know ... one at least is Amazon themselves, selling the 2003/2005 Travel edition with a large number of retailers. With somewhat fewer retailers is the 2006 Bookshelf game (also based on the 2003 game). This one has somewhat fewer retailers and again I have no idea if they are prominent toy sellers in the UK. But this suggests that the classic game edition (besides the "deluxe" versions) is alive and well in both the UK & North America.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

Niteshade007 wrote:I still want to see pictures of the suspects at least. Michael, any chance of seeing those soon?
I finished the page today. All the pictures are up. It's in the Clue Games section.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation »

Well, it isn't a total failure, but it's as close as you can get. The first thing I thought of when I saw Peacock: she looks like some evil CEO for a Beijing company...

I didn't hate the board, the box was kinda dull, and I don't like any of the suspects. Plus, the whole concept is ridiculous. I would've liked to see the original one. Sure, the idea of a student murdering a chaperone isn't very idyllic, but who cares about staying 100% purely politically correct? This is the most laughable version of the game I've seen so far. (Well, I've had the good fortune not to see it in person to date, but still, the look I get online is enough).

Happy 60th!
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Thanks for putting this up Michael.

But after looking at it, there is really no reason anyone has to play this as an art theft, other than the silly (and complicated) set-up story presented on the box. Played as regular Clue, you have a suspect, a weapon and a location. Surely inventive kids will come up with their own more logical and intriguing story:

7 friends go to Paris for a Summer abroad, one did not come home. Was it an accident or foul play? Which friend held a grudge big enough to commit murder?

It is also interesting that the kids are much more ethnically diverse than than the adults. Adding a Latina, and an Asian to the mix.

Actually – they don't even tell you WHAT was stolen! How ridiculous can you get? If they really wanted to mitigate the idiocy of the marketing of this version, they would have substituted works of art of art for the weapons. Who stole what and where are they hiding it? Instead they seem to have just attempted to be politically correct with the set-up, fully intending that kids would make up their own murder victim and treat the game as such. OMG That is SO lame!

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak »

Eh, I'd still play it. It's going to be a murder when we play, though. I'll probably play as the White character. The others just irk me.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

I really like the White character's card.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak »

I do like her look. And she's probably the only one in the bunch who strikes me as capable of both committing and solving a murder.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

So do I. She's my favourite in fact.

Scarlet's my least favourite. She looks like a Bratz doll.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

I already mentioned evil CEO Peacock... I hate her.
White, however, does look OK, I will admit.
~Ellery Queen

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak »

I'm confused why there's clock cards if it was a theft. Oh well, at least it'll let me play slasher movie. Scarlet, you're first.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Hey, if you get that last card, your trip is over! Like, OMG, isn't that scary?
~Ellery Queen

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

i agree, the clock cards don't make sense. I guess you've been implicated in the crime as well. Or maybe framed... I'm working on the Juicy Couture page right now and that one is the same concept. If you draw the eighth card, you've been caught. But maybe you aren't guilty, so why would you be "caught." Ugh...

The game mechanics don't need the addition of a time element. It's not never ending Mon***y... They should do away with the clock cards altogether.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

Dare I say that this looks cool?

I love the board and the fact that its set in Paris and that the weapons are the regular ones (reinvention, so iI guess they are the new regular ones). The suspects are ok. They work for a teen Clue game but I hate that concept. If i ever get this I'm going to see if I can change it so it is Col. Mustard and Mrs. Peacock again...

Quadsworth
Slueth

Post by Quadsworth »

Nice writeup on this game. I actually really like the board (despite awkward positionings on the subways, which are otherwise a great idea).