Midnight Murder

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Well... I finished making all of the basic room shapes and put them together into a board. Keep in mind that not all the rooms will have the same flooring. I am doing the Conservatory next which is why that one is already updated.

The mini-room within the Library will be a reading room. And I added all the secret passages. The cool thing with these secret passages is that sometimes the rooms will be connected diagonally like on the traditional game and sometimes they'll just take you one room over... making some games more difficult than others.

[FOR AN UPDATED PICTURE OF THE BOARD, PLEASE REFER TO PAGE 8]
Last edited by TheWhitePawn on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

The elegant tiles for the Conservatory are a lovely touch, and just as well, I love how your doing the secret passages.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Thanks, Cluedokid :)

Yeah, I always found it odd to have the secret passage entrance be a floor tile... I really can't see the elegantly dressed guests crawling into some dark hole under the floor.

These passages more closely resemble the ones from the DVD game.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Well... it's time for me to start getting ready for the party... but I updated the board pic with some new flooring in the Kitchen and a rug and table in the Dining Room.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

This is great!

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Thanks! I was worried about making everything from scratch, especially with so many room designing sites out there... but I think it's coming out pretty well. :D

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

I updated the pic with the most recent floors.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

I love the dance-floor look for the Ballroom, and the rug patterns are excellent. Rugs are always something I have trouble with as you almost need to look online for a coherent pattern.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Thanks!

And by the way, the carpet in the Lounge may look a little funny, or at least it does to me since it was originally on an angle, but it will make sense once the furniture goes in.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 »

I really like what you've been doing here, and I can't wait to see the end result! :)
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

Green
Detective

Post by Green »

I don't know why I haven't commented on this yet. It's beautiful. I can't wait to see where else you take it.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Thank you guys for all your comments! :D

I updated the board with some fireplaces and couches. I'll post bigger pictures of each room once they're completely finished. Needless to say, though, the images are much more detailed than they appear.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

Very beautiful. It looks fantastic now that it's all coming together.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

beautifully done!!! :)

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum »

It's looking pretty great!
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

Basing your artwork on the 2002 board is the best. I think it is my favorite since for the first time it properly addressed the mood in Tudor Close. It should be night, dark and gloomy, with a hint of mystery in the air, the windows casting light and gloomy shadows out into the isolated estate grounds.

Love what you've done.

I've never played SuperSlueth ... would somebody please explain exactly how the tiles are supposed to layed out during play? Is it the fist players choice? What exactly is the strategy of doing that, or is it merely to add variety to the game?
Last edited by Murder by Death on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Murder by Death wrote:Using the 2002 board is the best.
Actually, everything that I have done is completely created from scratch in Photoshop. It's just in a similar style to the 2002 board. But I'm glad that my art can pass off for professional quality! :D

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

TheWhitePawn wrote:the room is simply where the Boddy was found. And since there are 2 staircases leading to the cellar with no blood or drag marks, it can be assumed that the Boddy was tossed there after the murder... giving the suspects a reason to try to find the actual murder location. If the central room can be a murder location all along, wouldn't the suspects assume that's where the murder took place?
Obviously this is the designer's choice, or even the player's since nothing precludes a player from making up their own story as to where the body was found. If a body is found tossed down into the basement, it will likely have some broken bones and contusions making the identification of the murder weapon harder. However, as you've pointed out before, the rope, revolver and knife will all leave definitive markings. Therefore, the very conceit of the game is flawed, so it really doesn't matter where the victim is found. He could be found outside on the front steps of the Hall for all that matters.

I've always thought the room determination went to opportunity and time anyway, meaning the room the body was found in could be discounted immediately by the suspects if everyone can produce an alibi for being in a different room during the time the murder was committed – or even in the room the body was later found. But this is just another conceit anyway, because nothing about the board game is conducted the way an actual investigation would be. So the rooms under consideration are determined by the suspects based on their alibis (otherwise why none of the bedrooms?), just as the weapons must be based on their unusual discovery throughout the house (since surely the injuries on the victim would otherwise point to the means used) – as any home is full of potential weapons.

Your idea for only using bludgeoning weapons in the Airship game, and motive cards were much more realistic and interesting and helped complete the picture: Means, Opportunity and Motive. I suppose if you include the motive cards again, that helps restore some balance by the loss of one room.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

I'm actually not sure what I would like to do with the cards yet... That's why I've been putting off making them. Maybe I'll do Motives again, but I think it will be more like standard Clue.

I updated the picture again. I added more furniture to the Library. I changed the mini-room from a reading room to a Study, since the Study is no longer in the game. The bookcase is not finished yet... I still need to add shelves of books. And that's a phone beside Boddy's desk. It's kind of hard to see in the shrunken picture.

I also added faint light shining out to show the placement of the windows.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Will we get to see large tiles of the rooms once they are finished?