Midnight Murder

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Midnight Murder

Post by TheWhitePawn »

So I've been thinking about making a new Clue game. Something different from my last two though...

I was thinking of merging the standard Clue with Super Sleuth into a 9-tile game that is also randomly set down as the game is played. Unlike Super Sleuth, though, movement will take place outside of the rooms and there will be two types of room tiles: Standard and Corner.

I created a very general blueprint of what I want to create. The font, colors, etc will obviously be updated. I just threw this together in 10 minutes to give you guys a general idea. Until I come up with a better name, I'll simply call this "Tile Clue."

And, as you may notice, one of the rooms had to get the boot. I decided to off the Study, since it's pretty similar to the Library anyway. So the Library will now be the fourth corner room. I thought about making one of the standard tiles into two rooms, but I like the idea of them being spacious instead of cramped in.

The suspects will begin on the center tile. I have not yet decided on the placement of the doors or which (if any) rooms will get secret passages.

Last edited by TheWhitePawn on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

It's neat. The green, beige and rust colours feel give off the feel of the 1963 edition.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Thanks! Yeah, I want some form of burnt-orange to be the central color of the game. At the very least for the card backs...

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Well... I have finished the central tile and also chosen a name for the game: Midnight Murder. I chose the name because I decided that one of the central themes of the board will be dark rooms, somewhat like the board of 2002. I may also have light coming in through some open doors as well.

Here is the central tile, the cellar where everyone begins the game:

Last edited by TheWhitePawn on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Sleek and beautiful. I've always preferred that sort of mystery look in comparison to the first.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Not too much to add, but I did finish the card back.

I'll probably work some more on the game tomorrow.
Last edited by TheWhitePawn on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Midnight Murder

Post by Murder by Death »

TheWhitePawn wrote: a 9-tile game that is also randomly set down as the game is played. ... And, as you may notice, one of the rooms had to get the boot.
As usual, quite nice. Two questions:
1) I don't really understand how SuperSlueth is played, never having played it, but I presume what keeps one from laying down a corner tile in any other location is the fact it may only be placed at the corner. What strategic advantage if any does this provide the game? Why not make all of the tiles completely interchangeable?

2) Why not make the center tile an actual room, to maintain the 9 room ratio. I still don't know if there is any particular reason for the magic Pratt/Waddington's ratio of 6/6/9, but why not have the center tile serve double duty? Have them all start in the study much like it served in the movie.

If so, this brings up a similar question I had in your Airship game. Must the players first exit their "Start" room before they can re-enter it only on their second roll? Might make for an interesting gameplay option.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

The corner rooms are not for strategy. In fact, their layout is random rather than strategic. The main reason I have rooms that only fit in corners is because I want the mansion to have a more realistic layout.

As for making the central room a possible murder location, I like to follow the Master Detective and Super Cluedo model in which the room is simply where the Boddy was found. And since there are 2 staircases leading to the cellar with no blood or drag marks, it can be assumed that the Boddy was tossed there after the murder... giving the suspects a reason to try to find the actual murder location.

If the central room can be a murder location all along, wouldn't the suspects assume that's where the murder took place? That's also why the staircase in the center of the board is used in standard Clue... with the idea that Mr. Boddy was not killed there.

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum »

Sounds excellent, looks professional!
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

I am at school, so I haven't had a chance to work some more on the game yet. But I am debating whether to have bird's-eye views of the rooms or first-person views like in the 1963 edition, which I love so much. Of course, the artwork would not be cartoony, but I like the idea of seeing the rooms the way they might look if you were there.

Also, I think that, instead of laying the game out randomly as you play, I will change the rules so that the game tiles are layed down (still randomly) but before play begins. I feel that the two stacks of tiles in addition to cards and notepads may make the game feel too chaotic. I always feel that way with games requiring so many elements, such as Risk and even Super Sleuth.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

I updated the card back...

Last edited by TheWhitePawn on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

The black border gives it a finished feel, but I confess I liked the original card back better. The spotlight on the title gave a more enclosed, nighttime feel.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

I like them both. And although the first design may be better as a stand alone card... I think the second card back will look cleaner in a stack.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

The Hall isn't nearly finished yet, but here is the basic layout along with an updated Cellar...

Last edited by TheWhitePawn on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Well... the Hall is finished. I was trying to think of more things to add, but I think the clean and simple look has its own appeal.

Last edited by TheWhitePawn on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 »

I love how the room is only bright in the center. Gives a spooky, Halloween-ish type feel.

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum »

Love it!
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Thanks guys! :D

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

The closet is a great touch as opposed to a coat rack.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Yeah... I originally made a coat rack, but then moved it to the closet as a hat rack when I decided a closet would be better.