Clue Current Thoughts

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by Jonathan Green »

ClueLover98 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:38 pm
Jonathan Green wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:44 pm For a forum game I being planning for a while, based on my head-canon. Here’s the plot:
Saturday, 13th June, 2026 - Hampshire, England
This Friday, Mr. John Thomas Boddy had inherited his ancestral country home Tudor Close, and the Black family fortune, for his thirtieth birthday. In celebration of this event, Mr. Boddy had invited his closest friends to his home for a weekend party. But one of his guests caused quite a stir, his estranged cousin, Miss Heather Black.

Heather Black was the daughter of Dr. Hugh Black & Mrs. Rose Black. She was the original heiress of the Black estate. Her father had spoiled her rotten, giving her as many gifts she could have wanted, much to the disapproval of her mother. That was until her cousin John moved in. After the mysterious deaths of his parents, Dr. Black and Mrs. Black had taken both him and his sister Dorothy to live with them. All the attention she was once bestowed upon was given to her cousins. Heather had grown jealous of John and Dorothy, and began to bully them.

In 2014, Dr. Black had died at the age of fifty. During the reading of Dr. Black’s Last Will & Testament, it came to the shock of everyone when the lawyer declared the Black’s nephew John Boddy would inherit everything, and only left his daughter with a small allowance. After a nearly-violent altercation with Dorothy, Boddy evicted Heather from Tudor Close. After her eviction, Heather took whatever money she inherited and moved to Spain.

Many years past, with Heather and John cutting all contact from each other. But months before Mr. Boddy’s 30th birthday, he invited her back to Tudor Close for his birthday, for unknown reasons. She accepted the invite.

During the party, most, if not all, of the guests had shown an intense, closeted, hatred for Miss Black for all different reasons. They all thought that the weekend would be ruined by her presence. But all that would change when Mr. Boddy had found his cousin Heather dead on the grand stairway of the Grand Foyer. She’s been murdered.

Who killed Miss Heather Black?
Any thoughts?
It looks great; I'd love to participate! How many suspects/weapons/rooms are there?
Well the original six are there, along with Orchid and some other canon characters. Players could make their own characters as well. Still planning it.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Here’s some of the suspects for the forum game:

Colonel Micheal Mustard, 56: Retired Special Air Service (SAS) and old friend of Dr. Hugh Black. Now a sportsman and game hunter. An intimate family friend of Mrs. P.

Mrs. Blanche White, 28: The French wife of Mr. Boddy. Married for nearly seven years. Chef and socialite. Hopes to open her own restaurant one day. Dislikes rude guests.

Mr. Giavonni Green, 29: Italian-American millionaire playboy and businessman. World traveler. Longtime friend of John Boddy since boarding school. Likes to keep family matters private.

Mrs. Elizabeth Peacock, 48: Ornithologist and social butterfly. Mother of Josephine Scarlett. Thrice Widowed. Owner of her third husband’s estate - Arlington Hall.

Professor Peter Plum, 38: Archaeologist and teacher for Oxford University. Polymath. Currently looking for funders for his next expedition.

Dr. Madeline Orchid, 22: The adopted daughter of John Boddy. Had multiple Phds in biology and chemistry. Known for making many medicines and poisons.

Dorothy Rose Boddy aka “Madame Rose”, 23: Sister of John Boddy. Raised by him after Dr. Black’s death. A novelist with a speciality in crime stories.

Miss Georgia Emily Peach, 20: Adopted daughter of John Boddy. Southern Belle from Louisiana. A sweet, ditzy girl. A bit spoiled but very generous. Loves parties and boys.

There’s some other characters I’m working on. Of course you guys can make your own characters if you want.

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 »

OH MY GOD I'M SCREAMING THIS IS AMAZING
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

I don’t know if this is a controversial opinion. But movie aside, my favorite renditions of clue typically come back to those campy VCR games, and the fourth season of the game show.

They are both capital CAMP. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s had more serious moments that worked well. But all the colored suspects are ridiculous. Not knowing how he died, between the various weapons, is ridiculous. And when they are fully aware of how stupid what they are making is, you get something beautiful. The flamethrower! The toilet chain! The abject lack of acting talent on any of the vcr cast! Through their many glaring flaws they become flawless, all of them.

I’m only really train-of-thoughting this out cause I’ve been trying to plot a more serious mystery. And some part of me just wants to make something stupid as balls.
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Zoo977 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:14 am I don’t know if this is a controversial opinion. But movie aside, my favorite renditions of clue typically come back to those campy VCR games, and the fourth season of the game show.

They are both capital CAMP. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s had more serious moments that worked well. But all the colored suspects are ridiculous. Not knowing how he died, between the various weapons, is ridiculous. And when they are fully aware of how stupid what they are making is, you get something beautiful. The flamethrower! The toilet chain! The abject lack of acting talent on any of the vcr cast! Through their many glaring flaws they become flawless, all of them.

I’m only really train-of-thoughting this out cause I’ve been trying to plot a more serious mystery. And some part of me just wants to make something stupid as balls.
I’m on board with you Zoo. Although I prefer VCR games over Series 4. The VCR games are “So Bad it’s Good”, something that riff-able. Maybe they could on an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

But Series 4 it’s just straight up bad IMO. Yes, it does have its laughable moments, like Mustard’s confession, but I don’t really get any joy from it like the other shows/films. Heck, the 2011 miniseries is better than Series 4!

It just boils down to enjoyability to me. The miniseries got me into Clue. The first 3 series of the TV shows I enjoy and some of the foreign shows as well. The movie’s a classic. The VCR games are laughable bad. But series 4 is just CR@P.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

The VCR game videos are a lot of fun, for sure, and I am also in the camp for Cluedo being, well, camp :lol: Like Zoo said, the game isn't exactly high drama and has plenty of aspects to it that lend themselves to a more kitsch interpretation, so I have no problem with things like some of the more outrageous characters and weapon choices.

ClueLover98
Slueth

Post by ClueLover98 »

Where's our themed Clue edition of where all the suspects wear outfits from the 2019 Met Gala with the camp theme?

Blake Lively is Miss Scarlet, Lady Gaga is Dr. Orchid (or Celine Dion or Ruth Wilson as Mrs. White), Billy Porter as Mustard, Candice Swanepoel as Mrs. Peacock (honestly it's the weakest one of the set), Omari Hardwick as Mr. Green (literally the only man in green), and Hamish Bowles as Professor Plum (no seriously this one is accurate).

This is the worst thing I've ever posted here.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Hmm, following up on some thoughts on different themes for Clue games (and carefully avoiding ClueLover's suggestion... although some of those outfits would make for a very visually interesting game of Clue!), I really think that a John Carpenter's The Thing would make a great theme for a Clue game, more so than a lot of other horror movies - it's already about paranoia and isolation, with the cast accusing each other of being Things.

Instead of weapons, you could have Thing forms like the Dog-Thing and the Spider-Thing and be trying to work out who was infected, with what Thing, in what room of Outpost 31. For a bit of variety, it could be a re-skin of Master Detective rather than just the regular Clue board, to better represent the characters and rooms. There's an Outpost 31 board game which could give some ideas for how a Thing Clue could look:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/226 ... outpost-31

I'm also still mulling over Batman themed Clue.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

On the note of the VCR games actually

I love the idea of Didit, the Butler. It's so concise in it's corniness but it works perfectly for me.

That forum game I thought was too serious to actually go forward with? The working name was actually "The Butler, Didit," with him in the playing role. That name is fantastic.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

Zoo977 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:14 pm Image
This is actually an excellent idea for a Cluedo scenario. Something that really wouldn’t have been thinkable prior to 2020.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Zoo977 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:42 pm On the note of the VCR games actually

I love the idea of Didit, the Butler. It's so concise in it's corniness but it works perfectly for me.

That forum game I thought was too serious to actually go forward with? The working name was actually "The Butler, Didit," with him in the playing role. That name is fantastic.
I love the phrase 'The Butler, Didit' as well - I made a terrible pun of it once in a response to something on here :lol: You should use that name for something, even if it's not your original forum game idea!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

coinilius wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:10 pm

I love the phrase 'The Butler, Didit' as well - I made a terrible pun of it once in a response to something on here :lol: You should use that name for something, even if it's not your original forum game idea!
Put me down for one against. Didit is right up there with Mr. De’ath. I like the corniness of Clue, but I prefer it to border on the plausible. That’s one of the reasons I hate Mr. Boddy in Clue. It’s too on the nose. Give me Dr. Black any day in Cluedo.

ClueLover98
Slueth

Post by ClueLover98 »

Murder by Death wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:43 pm
coinilius wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:10 pm

Put me down for one against. Didit is right up there with Mr. De’ath. I like the corniness of Clue, but I prefer it to border on the plausible. That’s one of the reasons I hate Mr. Boddy in Clue. It’s too on the nose. Give me Dr. Black any day in Cluedo.
I don't like De'Ath and Mystique on the basis that they ruin the color system. Didit's an incidental character (like Inspector Pry) so I don't mind that he doesn't have a colored name, as it differentiates him from the suspects' names.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

My thoughts exactly, 98. No one minds Wadsworth or Yvette not having color names, cause they're incidentals. Though I think there's a bit more to why I like Didit and not De'ath.
Mr. De'ath is on the nose and there's nothing clever about it. No matter his role, I'd never like him.
Madame Mystique *could* work, but it's still very corny in a way the game doesn't seem to acknowledged.
The Butler, Didit, is on the nose, yeah, but it's clever. And the package he comes in is so silly, his silly name fits perfectly.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Yeah I am the same with Didit - I prefer non-suspect characters to have non-colour names, as it helps set them apart

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

It’s not about the color. It’s about — have you ever met, or heard of anyone named “Didit”? No. Therefore it goes way too far across the line of clever plausibility. Inspector Pry is wonderful on the other hand, because Pry is a real name and it’s what the professor does.

De’ath is just as a big a mess. Mystique is borderline. Is it a real name? It could be I suppose, but I don’t know. Didit is just sophomoric — to me. Your mileage may vary ...

Besides, I thought the point of these names was that they could be playable characters in some games, which is why they’re in the repository? Either way, the point of names to me in Clue is to serve as a witty pun, either on color, or role — hence Mr. Boddy. My only requirement is that they be kept truly clever, which in my mind means they need to be semi-plausible. Calling someone Madame Purple is lame. The artistry is in the subtle linking to the color or role. Boddy is heavy handed, but at least plausible. Didit is a lead pipe over the head.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

It depends on what you think about how the names should work - personally, I think Inspector Cluedo is an awesome pun name, same with Didit, because I see Clue as a pretty kitschy experience generally. Pry works very well and is less obvious than Didit or Cluedo - I’d much rather see inspector Pry returned when they need an inspector character that isn’t a suspect.

Mystique works as a name because she is a medium and it’s probably a stage name rather than her real name. De’ath is just terrible, unless he was the victim then it might work for the same pun like reasons as Boddy.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

Murder by Death wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:09 pmBesides, I thought the point of these names was that they could be playable characters in some games, which is why they’re in the repository? Either way, the point of names to me in Clue is to serve as a witty pun, either on color, or role — hence Mr. Boddy
I certainly understand where you’re coming from. I’m not here to argue that, but I kinda want to clarify something about the character repository.

That’s absolutely how it started, you’re right. But the incidentals are also important. Certainly Yvette doesn’t commit any murders, but she still indelibly clue, y’know? So it’s ended up expanding a bit past just suspects. Important non-suspect characters are included too.

I should probably change it from “suspect repository“ to “character repository“ shouldn’t I -3-