Clue Current Thoughts

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Zoo977
Master Detective

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by Zoo977 »

I got an interesting request in my DM‘s. GarfieldBuilder asked about a room repository, on top of the weapon and suspect. I think that for completion sake it would be a good project

I’m just wondering, how on earth should we categorize them?

Of course I plan to put the main stay originals right at the top, but after that? Like should be categorized by the floor they usually be on? Should we categorize like main rooms, gathering spaces, personal spaces, servants quarters, etc.? Like this is a bit more of a tricky thing to categorize. This one is kind of confusing me.
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

I don't think I've ever been there, not when I used to live in Birmingham

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy »

Zoo977 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:04 pm I got an interesting request in my DM‘s. GarfieldBuilder asked about a room repository, on top of the weapon and suspect. I think that for completion sake it would be a good project

Of course I plan to put the main stay originals right at the top, but after that? Like should be categorized by the floor they usually be on? Should we categorize like main rooms, gathering spaces, personal spaces, servants quarters, etc.? Like this is a bit more of a tricky thing to categorize. This one is kind of confusing me.
Well, first you could break it down to whether the "room" is inside the main house or outside of it. (That would include both outdoor spaces and rooms in smaller detached buildings, like a carriage house or garage.)
From there, if there are agreed upon floor layouts, separating the rooms by what floor of the main house they're located on may make sense. After that, you could separate those rooms by whether they are general public access rooms and whether they are more private rooms (like bedrooms or any en suite bathrooms attached to the specific bedrooms).

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Found this cool short!
https://youtu.be/PEzTEysepYo

Sir Shamrock
Private Eye

Post by Sir Shamrock »

Zoo977 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:04 pm I got an interesting request in my DM‘s. GarfieldBuilder asked about a room repository, on top of the weapon and suspect. I think that for completion sake it would be a good project

I suppose if you really wanted to you could use the compass rose used in Clue DVD game in addition to outside/inside separation. That would take care of most of the rooms if incorporated onto the various games (DTS, Master Detective, FX, etc.) The only issues here are that making a board based on the directions would be impossible, and if you include the rooms in Clue Bingo they probably have nowhere to go.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Sir Shamrock wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:46 pm If you include the rooms in Clue Bingo they probably have nowhere to go.
I view some of the rooms of Clue Bingo as alternative names to the classics.
Ex. The Grand Foyer is just another name of the Hall.
The Music Room could also classify as a Conservatory.
The Drawing Room & Parlor could be a different name for the Lounge.
Banquet Hall is kinda the Dining Room.
Etc.

But some rooms of the game confuse me, like the Dance Studio. How on earth has a Dance Studio in their mansion?

If I was you Zoo, maybe try doing this:

Write down the rooms that occupy that space.

Mainstay:
Lounge

Canon:
Veranda (France)
Salon (German)
Etc.

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy »

Jonathan Green wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:57 pm . . . But some rooms of the game confuse me, like the Dance Studio. How on earth has a Dance Studio in their mansion?
Maybe it depends on if there's somebody in the family who uses it for practicing ballet or for other dance lessons? :wink:

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

Thank you for your suggestions. Well the compass idea is novel, it’s also requires a full map. I’d simply like a reference list of categories.

I would include translations, I have to be more careful to include them. My current working categories are;
  • Mainstays
  • Main Rooms (grand hall, dining room, etc.)
  • Side Rooms (studio, library, billiard room)
  • Private Rooms (bedrooms, bathrooms)
  • Servants Rooms
  • Below Ground
  • Top Of House
  • Grounds
  • External Structures
Any suggestions, ideas? I’m still torn if I should use Main Rooms or Social Rooms

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Zoo977 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:37 pm Thank you for your suggestions. Well the compass idea is novel, it’s also requires a full map. I’d simply like a reference list of categories.

I would include translations, I have to be more careful to include them. My current working categories are;
  • Mainstays
  • Main Rooms (grand hall, dining room, etc.)
  • Side Rooms (studio, library, billiard room)
  • Private Rooms (bedrooms, bathrooms)
  • Servants Rooms
  • Below Ground
  • Top Of House
  • Grounds
  • External Structures
Any suggestions, ideas? I’m still torn if I should use Main Rooms or Social Rooms
Pretty good list idea!

Sir Shamrock
Private Eye

Post by Sir Shamrock »

That works! Main rooms has more "umph" to it

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Those categories are looking good

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Haven’t seen this video since I was a kid!
https://youtu.be/SETByfJ4v8g

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Found a playlist on YouTube with reviews on the A.E. Parker books
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list= ... oefbCoJJE7

Also the same guy did a playthough on Clue Chronicles: Fatal Illusion
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list= ... DDGXiSkUvT

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

Playing a ton of animal crossing. Want my house to have all the clue weapons, and since there's no revolver item obviously, decided to make a custom pattern. I'm sure I can finagle something for most of the others.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

That’s pretty cool - you’ll have to post some pictures when you complete all the weapons

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Speaking of revolvers,
https://pin.it/Rdk7KIs

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

For a forum game I being planning for a while, based on my head-canon. Here’s the plot:
Saturday, 13th June, 2026 - Hampshire, England
This Friday, Mr. John Thomas Boddy had inherited his ancestral country home Tudor Close, and the Black family fortune, for his thirtieth birthday. In celebration of this event, Mr. Boddy had invited his closest friends to his home for a weekend party. But one of his guests caused quite a stir, his estranged cousin, Miss Heather Black.

Heather Black was the daughter of Dr. Hugh Black & Mrs. Rose Black. She was the original heiress of the Black estate. Her father had spoiled her rotten, giving her as many gifts she could have wanted, much to the disapproval of her mother. That was until her cousin John moved in. After the mysterious deaths of his parents, Dr. Black and Mrs. Black had taken both him and his sister Dorothy to live with them. All the attention she was once bestowed upon was given to her cousins. Heather had grown jealous of John and Dorothy, and began to bully them.

In 2014, Dr. Black had died at the age of fifty. During the reading of Dr. Black’s Last Will & Testament, it came to the shock of everyone when the lawyer declared the Black’s nephew John Boddy would inherit everything, and only left his daughter with a small allowance. After a nearly-violent altercation with Dorothy, Boddy evicted Heather from Tudor Close. After her eviction, Heather took whatever money she inherited and moved to Spain.

Many years past, with Heather and John cutting all contact from each other. But months before Mr. Boddy’s 30th birthday, he invited her back to Tudor Close for his birthday, for unknown reasons. She accepted the invite.

During the party, most, if not all, of the guests had shown an intense, closeted, hatred for Miss Black for all different reasons. They all thought that the weekend would be ruined by her presence. But all that would change when Mr. Boddy had found his cousin Heather dead on the grand stairway of the Grand Foyer. She’s been murdered.

Who killed Miss Heather Black?
Any thoughts?

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

It looks pretty good, Jonathan - are you still planning it as a forum game?

ClueLover98
Slueth

Post by ClueLover98 »

Jonathan Green wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:44 pm For a forum game I being planning for a while, based on my head-canon. Here’s the plot:
Saturday, 13th June, 2026 - Hampshire, England
This Friday, Mr. John Thomas Boddy had inherited his ancestral country home Tudor Close, and the Black family fortune, for his thirtieth birthday. In celebration of this event, Mr. Boddy had invited his closest friends to his home for a weekend party. But one of his guests caused quite a stir, his estranged cousin, Miss Heather Black.

Heather Black was the daughter of Dr. Hugh Black & Mrs. Rose Black. She was the original heiress of the Black estate. Her father had spoiled her rotten, giving her as many gifts she could have wanted, much to the disapproval of her mother. That was until her cousin John moved in. After the mysterious deaths of his parents, Dr. Black and Mrs. Black had taken both him and his sister Dorothy to live with them. All the attention she was once bestowed upon was given to her cousins. Heather had grown jealous of John and Dorothy, and began to bully them.

In 2014, Dr. Black had died at the age of fifty. During the reading of Dr. Black’s Last Will & Testament, it came to the shock of everyone when the lawyer declared the Black’s nephew John Boddy would inherit everything, and only left his daughter with a small allowance. After a nearly-violent altercation with Dorothy, Boddy evicted Heather from Tudor Close. After her eviction, Heather took whatever money she inherited and moved to Spain.

Many years past, with Heather and John cutting all contact from each other. But months before Mr. Boddy’s 30th birthday, he invited her back to Tudor Close for his birthday, for unknown reasons. She accepted the invite.

During the party, most, if not all, of the guests had shown an intense, closeted, hatred for Miss Black for all different reasons. They all thought that the weekend would be ruined by her presence. But all that would change when Mr. Boddy had found his cousin Heather dead on the grand stairway of the Grand Foyer. She’s been murdered.

Who killed Miss Heather Black?
Any thoughts?
It looks great; I'd love to participate! How many suspects/weapons/rooms are there?

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

coinilius wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:19 pm It looks pretty good, Jonathan - are you still planning it as a forum game?
Yes, I planning to start it after we finish the current game.