25 Clue Questions

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Huh

Post by Lord Caspen »

Why do so many people hate Lord Grey so much he is their least favorite? I kind of like the rakish beard and haircut. About the only drawback is that the Greys were actually a prominent family of English peers for a very long time (may even still be -- I'm not sure). As such, referring to them is a little surreal. It'd be like having adding a "Major Patton" to the suspect list. I mean, of course "Patton" is not a color word, but it would have roughly the same effect, unless I have miscalculated how well-known the Greys are presently in England.

But I digress. Why is it that people hate him so much?
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Re: Analysis

Post by Adam106 »

Lord Caspen wrote:Adam,

Have you considered tabulating the answers in any way?
I was thinking of doing that actually. Founding out what the majority's favourite suspect is etc. :)

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Re: Huh

Post by Adam106 »

Lord Caspen wrote:Why do so many people hate Lord Grey so much he is their least favorite? I kind of like the rakish beard and haircut. About the only drawback is that the Greys were actually a prominent family of English peers for a very long time (may even still be -- I'm not sure). As such, referring to them is a little surreal. It'd be like having adding a "Major Patton" to the suspect list. I mean, of course "Patton" is not a color word, but it would have roughly the same effect, unless I have miscalculated how well-known the Greys are presently in England.

Well, in my opinion anyway, I think there are plenty of Grey-themed characters already (Sergeant Grey, Mr. Slate-Grey, Earl Grey, Inspector Grey) and I just think that Hasbro were just un-creative in making the Lord. It seems a little uncalled for. He looks more like a reporter, or even a new rendition of the classic Sergeant Grey. Unless he's a Lord who's lost all of his wealth, his appearance and name are two completely different things.

Mr. Sterling Silver
Private Eye

Re: 25 Clue Questions

Post by Mr. Sterling Silver »

1. Who's your favourite suspect in regular Clue? Prof. Plum

2. What's your favourite weapon in regular Clue? Candlestick

3. What's your favourite room in regular Clue? Conservatory

4. Who do you usually play as in regular Clue? Plum

5. Caucasian Scarlet or Asian Scarlet? Caucasian

6. Glamorous widow Peacock or Busybody Peacock? Glamorous Widow

7. Old Mustard or Young Mustard? Young-ish, like TV-series age, fits better as a suitor for Scarlet and Peacock.

8. Reverend Green or Mr. Green? Reverend

9. White the Housekeeper or White the Guest? Housekeeper

10. Archaeologist Plum or University Teacher Plum? young university teacher

11. Dagger or Knife? Knife

12. Spanner of Wrench? Wrench

13. What's your favourite edition of regular Clue/Cluedo? 2002 (**ducks the tomatoes being thrown for liking this edition**)

14. Who is your least favourite character from any edition? The Greys/Grays, because I find them the most confusing. Take Earl Grey, for example. In some versions, he's Inspector Grey. Is he supposed to be Inspector Grey from Super Sleuth? Is he Sgt. Gray and he forgot how to spell his last name? In Italian Super Cluedo, Mr. Slate-Grey is Sgt. Gray. Then there's Lord Gray. I can't keep them all straight.

15. One die or two dice? Two dice

16. What's your ideal amount of players? I've always played with three, so I guess that's what I have to call "ideal"

17. Who's your favourite additional suspect? Miss Peach

18. What's your favourite additional weapon? Poison

19. What's your favourite additional room? The Butler's Pantry, because it's so weird how it floats in the middle of the lawn and you can't get to it from the house

20. What's your favourite part of Clue: The Movie? "Flames ... flames on the side of my face"

21. What's your favourite episode of the UK Cluedo TV Series? Not sure, I like several of them.

22. What's your favourite solution from regular Clue? Miss Scarlet - Candlestick - Conservatory

23. What's your favourite solution from any additional Clue games? Mrs. Meadow-Brook - Lawn Gnome - Swimming Pool (so bizarre!)

24. What's your favourite additional Clue game? Clue Mysteries (**ducks even more flying tomatoes**)

25. Clue or Cluedo? Clue

BONUS: You didn't ask for least favorite room from any edition, but for me it would have to be the Observatory. Not only does it seem an odd thing to have in a house, but the depiction on Hasbro's site is ludicrous: One cheap little telescope propped near a window does not an Observatory make. :lol:

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Lord Caspen wrote:Why do so many people hate Lord Grey so much he is their least favorite? I kind of like the rakish beard and haircut. About the only drawback is that the Greys were actually a prominent family of English peers for a very long time (may even still be -- I'm not sure). As such, referring to them is a little surreal. It'd be like having adding a "Major Patton" to the suspect list. I mean, of course "Patton" is not a color word, but it would have roughly the same effect, unless I have miscalculated how well-known the Greys are presently in England.

Adam has mentioned most of the bad stuff about him. He looks like a reporter with his sunglasses, pomade and rolled up sleeves. The only picture of him is the depiction in Clue: Mysteries where he is overly cartoony and looks a a bit like Dr. John Hammond from Jurassic park with his glasses, beard and lab coat. Why the heck is he a water garden designer?

While Clue can be ridiculous on many levels, Lord Grey just takes the cake.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Actually I'm having an Idea for Lord Grey, Earl Grey, Count Grey, and Inspector Grey---

"Sgt. Gray walks through the hall when suddenly he is hit from behind with a food blender. He hits the floor

-------Several minutes later-------

"Sergeant Gray took a nasty fall, there sugar." Miss Peach exclaims to M. Brunette
"I wonder when he'll wake up?" Professor Plum asks
Sergeant Gray stands up in an erect position, "Lord Grey here, what frightful weather we are having." He says in a forced British accent, "Sorry about my clothes, it was last minute..."
*BANG*
"Who am I?" Grey asks rubbing the next lump forming on his head
"Joo are Inspector Grey." Brunette responds, "Zere 'as been a murder!"
"

Green
Detective

Post by Green »

1. Who's your favourite suspect in regular Clue?
Mrs. Peacock. Used to always be Mr. Green though.

2. What's your favourite weapon in regular Clue?
I'm partial to the Revolver, but the Candlestick is a favorite as well.

3. What's your favourite room in regular Clue?
I've never really thought about it... maybe the Ballroom?

4. Who do you usually play as in regular Clue?
Professor Plum or Mr. Green

5. Caucasian Scarlet or Asian Scarlet?
Either, as long as she's not blonde.

6. Glamorous widow Peacock or Busybody Peacock?
Glamorous widow Peacock. I don't mind some of the busybodies though.

7. Old Mustard or Young Mustard?
Old. I've just always known him as old.

8. Reverend Green or Mr. Green?
In regular Clue, Mr. Green. If M. Brunette is involved, then I think he can become a reverend.

9. White the Housekeeper or White the Guest?
You know, I like both. I just don't think there's been a game that's effectively made her a guest.

10. Archaeologist Plum or University Teacher Plum?
No preference really.

11. Dagger or Knife?
Knife. I'm American.

12. Spanner or Wrench?
Wrench. Monkey wrench.

13. What's your favourite edition of regular Clue/Cluedo?
I grew up with 1996, so it's gotta be that. Green floors and all.

14. Who is your least favourite character from any edition?
I hate the 70's Scarlet, Peacock, and Mustard. Also the stupid-looking Reverend Green they created for the UK's version of the 1996 suspects.

15. One die or two dice?
One, I suppose. I was never too picky about this.

16. What's your ideal amount of players?
Six. It creates more of a challenge and we can pretend to be our characters.

17. Who's your favourite additional suspect?
I really like M. Brunette.

18. What's your favourite additional weapon?
Poison or Axe. Just not that dratted Croquet Mallet.

19. What's your favourite additional room?
Probably the Fountain.

20. What's your favourite part of Clue: The Movie?
1 + 2 + 1 + 2.

21. What's your favourite episode of the UK Cluedo TV Series?
Never watched them.

22. What's your favourite solution from regular Clue?
I have two: Miss Scarlet in the Ballroom with the Revolver or Mrs. White in the Kitchen with the Knife. Also, anything that includes Professor Plum in the Library or Colonel Mustard in the Billiard Room.

23. What's your favourite solution from any additional Clue games?
Probably Mrs. White in the Kitchen with the Knife, since the Ballroom so frequently disappears in new Clue games.

24. What's your favourite additional Clue game?
Master Detective.

25. Clue or Cluedo?
Clue.
Last edited by Green on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

CluedoKid wrote:

Adam has mentioned most of the bad stuff about him. He looks like a reporter with his sunglasses, pomade and rolled up sleeves. The only picture of him is the depiction in Clue: Mysteries where he is overly cartoony and looks a a bit like Dr. John Hammond from Jurassic park with his glasses, beard and lab coat. Why the heck is he a water garden designer?

While Clue can be ridiculous on many levels, Lord Grey just takes the cake.
Don't forget how he looks here (Not much of an improvement)

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum »

Where'd those cards come from?
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

I still think he looks like Dr. Hammond's evil twin.

Perhaps it's Dr. Jason Woodrue?

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

WarnerPlum wrote:Where'd those cards come from?
Cluedo Party

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Is Lord Grey a woman? From Poirotfrmda's pictures all the women have red backgrounds behind their names and the men have green :|

Harlequin
Master Detective

Post by Harlequin »

Green- Game 1 for six players
Red- Game 2, which is for eight
'You should never trust strangers, Sammy. This is gonna be fun!'
~ Former Bounty Hunter, now Space Pirate Mistress Gandrayda, Proving Grounds, Urtragia, shortly before termination as a result of Phazon corruption.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer »

i apologize for verging slightly off topic, but does anyone know where there are more pictures of or the rules for the cluedo party tudor mansion edition?

Harlequin
Master Detective

Post by Harlequin »

Follow the properties for the site on the cards. I don't think Michael likes that site to be mentioned on here....
~ Former Bounty Hunter, now Space Pirate Mistress Gandrayda, Proving Grounds, Urtragia, shortly before termination as a result of Phazon corruption.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer »

thank you very much

and, just for the record, i don't see anything that wrong with lord gray; everyone has their own taste

Harlequin
Master Detective

Post by Harlequin »

I suppose it's because of the high amount of Grey-shade characters already, people thought that they had a huge choice of Greys already without the need for making a new one. Also, let me be frank. he does not look like a Lord, APART FROM in Cluedo Party.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer »

very true; considering that i'm american and i've never played-slash-cared for master detective, lord gray was the first gray-shaded clue character that i encountered firsthand

i would like to address lord gray from clue fx: if i were to be investigating a murder (as one of the amateur detectives, that is what he is doing) i would probably take of my jacket and roll my sleeves up, too; if he is a water garden designer, it'd make sense for him to diagram the grounds and try to see if he could trace the movements of the suspects; i really like his unique look compared to any of the other grays

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt »

For me, I can't stand Lavender. She just an excuse to include Asian Scarlet, but she is totally bland and boring, not sexy and mysterious! I also don't like Sgt. Grey. I just don't get why there's a police officer at a high-class dinner party.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

At any rate, Lord Grey is probably a masterpiece compared to the Reinvention suspects.