Bar-non worst suspect group.

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Worst ever suspect group?

1949 UK
9%
1949 US
No votes
1963 US
9%
1972 US
9%
1986 US
9%
1992 US
9%
1996 US
No votes
2000 UK
No votes
2002 US
55%

Total votes: 11

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Bar-non worst suspect group.

Post by CluedoKid »

Let's stick to the classic bunch here too. No obvious Spin-offs, Reinvention, or clearly awful foreign editions. In fact, I put no Other option for this reason (and that there were too many poll options).

So basically, choose an official standard US/UK edition already set in motion over the years.
Last edited by CluedoKid on Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

While I have qualms with other suspect groups (especially the overrated 1996 set), I generally tend to be attracted to their charming classic appeal that seems to be retained up until 1996.

In the end, and after much unneeded consideration, I had to choose the 2002 suspects. It's funny, the box really isn't that bad and makes a good first impression for the game. That's where it stops. The cards make me want to vomit. While they are all pretty bad, I have to say though that Mustard and Peacock really take the cake in their awfulness. Mustard with that steroid-build and barber cut. Mrs. Peacock I equate to a really unfortunate rendition of Scarlet...only wearing blue.

(And geez, if they were going for a certain style for the suspects, why do they feel the need to steal the weapon artwork yet again? While it was quite alright for past editions, the style of weapons are clearly out of place here with the rest of game look.)

Harlequin
Master Detective

I agree...

Post by Harlequin »

I agree that the cubist look is not cohesive with the weapons, and that while the box is OK, the suspects are all wrong. Maybe it was growing up with the 2000 UK, but Mustard is too old, Peacock looks like a 40-something Miss Scarlett with plastic surgery, and Scarlett is on her mobile on her pawn.

I wish that they stayed with 2000 for longer... :(

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation »

The cubist look from '02 was just plain awful! The suspects are plain WRONG... although, I must admit, the box made the game look pretty good. CluedoKid, I agree that Mustard and Peacock are perhaps the worst, but I'd add Plum to that list as well...
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

2002 US

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

1996 UK. By far the WORST. They are just plain creepy. I can't find a single one I even like out of them, thought the suspect pieces are nice, the cards just kill it.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Poirotfrmda818 wrote:1996 UK. By far the WORST. They are just plain creepy. I can't find a single one I even like out of them, thought the suspect pieces are nice, the cards just kill it.
Now that is one of my favorite editions and once I'm out of debt with my dad, I'm getting that one.

I'd only get it because of Reverend Green. He's so scary it's funny :lol:

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Poirotfrmda818 wrote:1996 UK. By far the WORST. They are just plain creepy. I can't find a single one I even like out of them, thought the suspect pieces are nice, the cards just kill it.

Oh don't get me started on those awful figurines. They can't even match the cards properly! Why is Mrs. Peacock young and slender in her card but represented by some ugly hog on the pawn?

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak »

I hate the 2002 US. They're all ugly, especially the bulging, blocky men.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

EDIT. I love 1986 now.
Last edited by Adam106 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harlequin
Master Detective

Post by Harlequin »

Can anyone post any photos of the UK '96 pawns. I don't seem to be able to find any.

Also, now that I look at them on the website, the US '86 really aren't that great either. They really are quite unlike what I imagine the suspects to be.
'You should never trust strangers, Sammy. This is gonna be fun!'
~ Former Bounty Hunter, now Space Pirate Mistress Gandrayda, Proving Grounds, Urtragia, shortly before termination as a result of Phazon corruption.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

CluedoKid wrote:

Oh don't get me started on those awful figurines. They can't even match the cards properly! Why is Mrs. Peacock young and slender in her card but represented by some ugly hog on the pawn?
I just like them because you can tell so much about the suspects from them. Scarlet's pose and Mrs. White looking so frumpy. I never really got though why Mrs. Peacock is fat.

Harlequin
Master Detective

Post by Harlequin »

EDIT
Last edited by Harlequin on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
'You should never trust strangers, Sammy. This is gonna be fun!'
~ Former Bounty Hunter, now Space Pirate Mistress Gandrayda, Proving Grounds, Urtragia, shortly before termination as a result of Phazon corruption.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

I actually like them.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation »

I like the SUSPECTS, but having the bio on the cards seems somewhat strange.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

Yeah, I hate the bios on the card too! It wouldn't be so bad if it was just a sentence or two, like Master Detective. They should be in the instruction booklet! I aslo dislike the "Extra! Extra! Murder! Read all about it!". I like having a beautifully drawn picture or photograph with the suspect's name.
Last edited by Adam106 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Adam106 wrote:Yeah, I hate the bios on the card too!
WTF is wrong with people, that's the reason I want that edition (not that I can't read them anyway...) I love the devilish looks on the suspects faces and the windows outside of the rooms! My only nitpick, why the ***** did they use the same board as we did in 1997... ugghh :roll:

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

cacums wrote:
WTF is wrong with people, that's the reason I want that edition (not that I can't read them anyway...) I love the devilish looks on the suspects faces and the windows outside of the rooms! My only nitpick, why the **** did they use the same board as we did in 1997... ugghh :roll:
I like the design, it's just the bios.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

cacums wrote:
WTF is wrong with people, that's the reason I want that edition (not that I can't read them anyway...) I love the devilish looks on the suspects faces and the windows outside of the rooms! My only nitpick, why the **** did they use the same board as we did in 1997... ugghh :roll:
Okay, the windows outside the rooms really suck. They make it harder to differentiate and take away from the character of the rooms.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

The room cards would be better if you could see more of what was inside the room through the window. That would make it eaiser to tell the difference.