Clue: Murder, Mystery and Mayhem!

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Clue: Murder, Mystery and Mayhem!

Post by CluedoKid »

Last edited by CluedoKid on Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 13 times in total.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

CLUE
Murder, Mystery and Mayhem!
Ages: 6 to Deceased
2 to 15 players

1. The Mystery

Something horrible has happened! The 35-year old money monger, Mr. Xavier Boddy has been brutally murdered during a lavish dinner party in his Edwardian Estate, the Château de Morte. Which of the sixteen suspects did him in, with what weapon and in which room of the château?

2. The Object of the Game

This version of Clue is unlike any other, but the object still rings true. Throughout the game, many of the guests may fall prey at the hands of different assailants, but by only solving the murder of Mr. Boddy can one win the game.

3. Set Up

The suspects, weapons and rooms will be shuffled and 1 card from each category will be selected. This is the solution to Mr. Boddy’s murder and must be revealed by the end of the game. Place these into the envelope.
The rooms are laid face down on the board. The pawns are placed on their starting squares. The EVENT, DEATH, ITEM and EVIDENCE decks are shuffled and placed into their respective piles.

4. Choosing Characters and Targets

Before the game begins, all players must record two important things. They must write down their player number; for this will determine the rolling order. They also must choose one of the sixteen suspects as their identity. These identities are secret and nobody must know except for that player. It just so may happen that two or more people will choose the same character.
Second, you must choose one of sixteen suspects as a target that you wish to murder in the course of the game. It won’t be your chosen character who will commit the murder though, here’s how it works:

Each player will receive a SUSPECT card, a WEAPON card and a ROOM card from the deck. This is the basis for which you must have your murder committed.

For example, if you chosen Mrs. Peacock as your target and you draw the cards, Sgt. Grey, the Rope and the Studio, you must attempt to have Sgt. Grey kill Mrs. Peacock while he has the Rope and both characters are alone in the Studio. More about committing murders later in Chapter 10.

5. The game comes to life…

Time to start Clue.

Player #1 will roll the die. He or she may move ANY character piece they wish. At the start of the game, the rooms are faced down, but as you move the characters through the rooms, you can start turning the rooms in their upright position. It is now you start placing the weapons onto the board. Here’s the guide on where to place the weapons at the start.

Axe goes in the Billiard Room
Cushion goes in the Lounge
Knife goes in the Dining Room
Poison goes in the Kitchen
Wrench goes in the Cellar
Candlestick goes in the Ballroom
Rope goes in the Gallery
Cane-Sword goes in the Cloak Room
Blunderbuss goes in the Smoking Room
Statuette goes in the Hall
Bomb goes in the Study
Syringe goes in the Toilet
Revolver goes in the Library
Snake goes in the Conservatory
Lead Pipe goes in the Courtyard
Gloves go in the Studio

When you move a character in the same room as a weapon, you can retrieve that weapon for that character. NOTE: A character can only be holding ONE weapon at a time. If you wish to give a different weapon to that character, they must drop the one they are holding first, in the room they are in.
When the last room is revealed, place the telephone inside.

6. Rolling the dice

There is more to rolling the dice than simply rolling them. These dice are special!

Rolling a 1 or 6 enables you to draw an EVENT card. Follow the instructions on this card.

Rolling a 2 or 4 enables you to draw an ITEM card.

Rolling a 3 or 5 enables you to draw an EVIDENCE card.

7. The Innocent Party

Speaking of Yvette, she is an innocent character and is not suspected in the murder of Mr. Boddy. The other three innocent characters are Wadsworth the butler, Inspector Pry and Rusty the dog.

In addition to moving suspected characters, you can also choose to move innocent characters. To have the option of moving them, they first of all must be activated on the board via an EVENT card. Once they are present though, they can be moved.

Once an innocent character has been moved into a room, their piece can be used to block a doorway. Do so by moving their piece in front of any of the 4 doorways in the room.

Innocent characters can also be interacted with through the use of EVENT cards and ITEM cards. Just follow the instructions.

8. Evidence, Events and Items

This part is to explain the purpose of the extra special decks.
EVIDENCE cards when drawn allow you to pick up a spare CLUE card from the deck pertaining to the category written on it. If the card says, DRAW A SUSPECT, you must draw a Clue card from the left most pile. To avoid confusion over which Clue card deck is which, place SUSPECT cards on the left, WEAPON cards in the center and ROOM cards on the right. Easy as pie.
(NOTE: EVIDENCE cards may become redundant if there are a full number of players because there will not be any spare CLUE cards left in the deck! If this happens, ignore the EVIDENCE cards completely. Ignore instructions on other cards relating to EVIDENCE.)

ITEM cards allow you further strategic options that could give you a little advantage. You may hold onto an Item card until you are ready to use it. It must be used during your turn.

EVENT cards will give instructions on them. Follow those instructions. Since the events play over the sequence of the night, use must use up each deck in this order: Eerie Evening, Lethal Late Hours, Midnight Madness and Deadly Dawn.

Some EVENT cards will ask you to draw a DEATH card. Doing this will possibly kill a player in the game. Their pawn will be removed and replaced with a body outline. Even though they are dead, their death is not solvable. If a player was playing the character that happens to fall prey, they must secretly choose a new character.

9. Suggestions

On to a crucial portion of the game…making suggestions over the mysterious murder of Mr. Boddy!

During a players turn, they have the option to make a suggestion when they move a character into a room. There are some rules to this though. They can only make one suggestion per turn. The suggested room also has to be in the same room as the room the character is in.

Example:
Supposing during Player #4’s turn they move Miss Scarlet into the Courtyard, they can say,
“I, Miss Scarlet suggest that Mr. Tan killed Mr. Boddy with the Knife in the Courtyard.�

Mr. Tan’s playing piece will then be moved into the Courtyard. The next player (in this case, Player #5) will be asked if they have any of those cards. If they do (and this is including the 3 cards given at the beginning), then they will be required to show 1 of those cards to Player #4. If they don’t have a card, the next player will be asked and so forth. A player’s turn must end after making a suggestion, even if they have remaining moves on the dice counter.

10. Murder!

Here’s the real exciting part! This also takes a bit a strategy. You will find out why…

Remember those three Clue cards given at the beginning? First of all, it’s clear they are not involved in Boddy’s murder (since they are not in the envelope), but they will be used for the murder of another player. ( NOTE: Try to memorize or even write down which murder cards you are holding in case they get mixed up with other cards you receive.)

As mentioned before, you will have to trap your victim alone with the same suspect holding the same weapon in the same room as the cards in your hand. When done so, write down in your notepad that, that character is DEAD!

Do not remove their pawn right away. Only you know that they are dead for the moment. ;)

You can continue to move the deceased character’s pawn on subsequent turns so long as nobody else tries to play that pawn too on their turn. If they do, you must remove that pawn, declare that the character is dead, and replace their pawn with a body outline.

If anybody was playing that murdered character, they must show you their notepads for you to record the info, thus setting them back and pushing you ahead of the investigation!

However, like Mr. Boddy, murders in the game can be solved.

11. Solving a character’s murder

Solving the murder of a character is almost identical to solving Mr. Boddy’s murder, except for a few differences.

The suggestion must be made in the same room as the body outline.

Example: Supposing Ms. Mango’s body lies in the Billiard Room. Player #7 killed her.

If Player #2 decides to move M. Brunette into the Billiard Room, they can declare,
“I, M. Brunette believe Professor Plum murdered Ms. Mango with the Snake in the Kitchen.�

If Player #4 has any of those cards, they must show them to Player #2. If the solution to the murder is discovered through the suggestion, then Player #4 must also hand over their notepad to Player #2 to record the information.

Professor Plum is arrested and his character is removed from play and Player #4 must find a new character. Job well done!

12. Locking doors

Don’t worry, the rules are almost done, but this element of game play must be noted. At the start of the game, each player receives a door piece. This door piece may be used at any point to block off a doorway by sliding it in between two rooms. If a person receives an ITEM card with the Skeleton Key on it, they are given the advantage of unlocking doors too.

13. Accusing and winning Clue!
Ah yes, the end is near and Mr. Boddy will finally be able to rest in peace. When you believe you know the solution to the murder of Mr. Boddy, you are ready to accuse. You must accuse using the character that you personally selected.

There are two options.

1. If your character is the murderer, you must return to your START space and make the confession. You get away scot free.

2. If you are accusing and you are NOT the murderer, you must head to the telephone instead.

Make your accusation and check the cards in the envelope.

If you are Incorrect, you must return the cards to the envelope. Dun dun dah. You are out of the game. You may remain to continue disproving suggestions.

If you are Correct, congratulations!
Justice is served.
Last edited by CluedoKid on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Alright more info ahead.

The year is 1992.

The board will be 3D and the rooms have the capability to be walked through.

SUSPECTS:

Doctor BlackImage
Mrs. PeacockImage
Colonel MustardImage
Miss PeachImage
Captain SeafoamImage
Lady LavenderImage
Mr. TanImage
Mother DrabImage
Reverend GreenImage
Madame Rose Image
Professor PlumImage
Ms. Mango Image
M. Brunette [Image
Miss ScarletImage
Sergeant GreyImage
Mrs. WhiteImage

WEAPONS:

AxeImage
CushionImage
KnifeImage
PoisonImage
WrenchImage
CandlestickImage
RopeImage
Cane-SwordImage
BlunderbussImage
StatuetteImage
BombImage
SyringeImage
RevolverImage
SnakeImage
Lead PipeImage
GlovesImage

ROOMS:

CourtyardImage
HallImage
LoungeImage
Dining RoomImage
KitchenImage
ConservatoryImage
StudioImage
ToiletImage
BallroomImage
Smoking RoomImage
GalleryImage
Billiard RoomImage
LibraryImage
StudyImage
Cloak RoomImage
CellarImage

Any helpful suggestions welcome and needed.
Last edited by CluedoKid on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 97 times in total.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I am just shocked that you chose Lady Lavender... from what I can recall.... you hate her....... :|

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Better than Mrs. M-B.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

True, I'm just shocked that you didn't do Mr. Slate-Grey.

If you'd like you can have Judge Mauve (I recall you liked him :wink:) but you don't have to. I'm just pretty much done with him, considering he's arrested in my series.... :(

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

See, to be honest. I didn't feel he was needed. Slate-Grey I mean. Right now I was a little torn between Insp. Grey and Sgt. Grey.

It's alright though about Mauve, I've already got enough characters with such a colour tone.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Alright, I made a few changes here and there in terms of weapons and rooms.

Now, I'm wondering, should each character start in an individual room? Or should there be a central, non-suspected room where they all collaborate? Mind you, it may be cluttered and have little to no room to move.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

EDIT.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

Sounds great, can't wait to see what its like :D

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Let's see how my first attempt at Dr. Black goes...

Dr. Nigel A. Black

He was the personal physician and close confidant of Mr. Boddy. It was a job that paid well since Mr. Boddy suffered from all sorts of ailments ranging from hemophilia to cat's skin disorder; or so Mr. Boddy had been led to believe. Of course, Black is always quick on his game to make the quick buck to support his expensive lifestyle. Mr. Boddy, of course never suspects a thing. The most important thing to Black would be that Boddy doesn't come up with a case of nosiness. After all, Dr. Black had a habit...almost obsession of keeping a close eye on Mr. Boddy's physical records, so that nothing went out of place, nothing went misjudged....and nothing ever, EVER went wrong...
Last edited by CluedoKid on Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:53 pm, edited 10 times in total.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation »

WHOAH.
I love it!!! :D
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

Me too! It's been neat watching your skill increase over the years. This looks really great!
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 »

That picture is nothing short of amazing. Well done!!
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Love it! I'll definitely play! :D :D
Last edited by cacums on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

Did you do Dr. Black on the computer or did you draw it by hand, I can't tell :D It looks really good.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak »

I love Black!

Can't wait to see the others.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Poirotfrmda818 wrote:Did you do Dr. Black on the computer or did you draw it by hand, I can't tell :D It looks really good.
I did him on the computer. Just works out better there since I can go back on mistakes.

Oh yes, I'm afraid I may need to "steal" your 3D-ified Super Sleuth idea. Hope this is alright. It's just, I want the game to be in 3D, but the format of Super Sleuth seems to flow better.

Also, thank you everyone else for the nice comments.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

No problem, it's an honor :D

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

Whoah! Dr. Black is perfect!