So what got you started?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

This topic was buried on page two, so I thought that I would bump it back to the top since we have so many new people. Please share your stories!

-Michael
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

notcesario
Suspect

vvvv

Post by notcesario »

vvvv
Last edited by notcesario on Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev »

Welcome. I'm Kristev, and I'm a clue addict.

What started it for me? I am autistic, and I've been obsessed my entire life with colors. I am, to this day, the only person who can tell the difference between violet and purple, and between lavender and lilac, so on and so forth. Well, I honestly had been interested in the game, but I had never dared to ask my mother to purchase it. We had little money, really.

Then I saw the movie on television when I was eight years old in the summer time and I just fell in love. Mind you, I was mystified by why no one was wearing the correct colors, but I was absolutely thrilled. Scarlet, that beautiful red-orange color, Mustard, that brownish yellow, White, which dissapointed me, that should an orange color! Green, how simple, nice, a good balance to the more complex colors. Peacock, what was that? So I asked my mother, and she said it was light blue. And Plum, one of my favorite colors already! What more, except for an orange, could anyone ask? The next weekend, I rented it so I could see it again, and soon, I was quoting dialogue from the movie. My mother couldn't believe it. She was hardly thrilled, of course. My ninth birthday came in October, and I almost asked mother to buy me an edition of the game (1986 version) but I chose not to. Wimpy, wimpy, wimpy! But I made my desire quite clear at Christmas time that year, when mother took us to the mall for Christmas shopping. Being only nine, I sat on Santa's lap (mainly because my six-year old brother demanded it and mother didn't trust the people in the mall with her six year old, thank you very much.) Anyhow, when my brother finished making his long list of mostly Star Trek related things, I simply said something to the order of, "All I want this year is a copy of the Clue game."

Point being, I got it that Christmas. How on earth mother could have known I have no idea. My brother must have told her. I wouldn't have dared! Naturally I made us play it all day Christmas morning. But you'll absolutely believe what happened next.

In 1989 at Christmas time, mother and her best friend went to the big mall in the next part of time, with my brother and I. We were told that, this year, since mother had no idea what it was we each wanted, we would be allowed to choose what our big gift would be (we always got one big gift and several little ones). I don't recall what my brother picked. Who cares? My choice was Clue MD, which I got. Clue MD was everything I could have wanted: A Brown Frenchman obsessed with painting art frauds! (Brunette) a Mauve gypsy (Rose), (Sgt. Grey) a police officer (instantly solvig the need to call the cops. Here is also where I decided Peacock was a doctor, solving the need for all external help,) and best of all, Miss Peach, the missing orange suspect, best of all, a pastel orange! that is when my love affair with Clue turned into a theoretical obsession where I began to create all my theories and ideas about these characters. Soon, cry, we were forced to move in with my cousins, a family of religions extremists who destroyed my Clue MD because of Madame Rose, and I could do nothing to stop them. Sniffle sniffle.

But for my 27th birthday, which means September 2005, I used my first Wal-Mart paycheck to buy myself two incredible gifts; Clue Mysteries and, via E-Bay and a money order, a brand new replacement of Clue MD! It is my most prized possession.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev »

But I am still a bit uncertain of Mrs. Meadow-Brook is Teal (Blue + Green) or Turquoise (Blue + Green + White.)

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

Welcome Carrie! You must be right by Cluegirl who also lives in the Twin Cities. (Coincidentally, I used to live in Eden Prarie, myself!). Anyway, it's good to have you. (New blood... Mwahahaha). :)

On another note, I couldn't help but read the past postings, and find it amusing how I'd previously bumped the thread because it fell to page two... Two pages was so exciting at the time!! I'm surprised at how far we've come these past couple years.

And now that this topic is back to page one, any of the dozens of other new members want to take a stab at answering the question?
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Started

Post by Lord Caspen »

I first got interested in Clue finding a copy of the 1972 version of the board game in one of my brother's closets. I think they didn't have the rules with it, and so I sort of made up rules (which I can't remember now). Anyhow, then I heard there was a movie, not long after, and I had to see it.

I don't remember if my parents rented it, or if I saw it aired on Showtime, but mostly I remember catching it on Showtime till my Dad recorded it for me. This was over twelve, thirteen years ago -- I don't remember just when.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

cluegirl104
"I NEED to watch the movie again!!"

Post by cluegirl104 »

notcesario-i'm in st.paul! nice to find a fellow minnesotan! :D

as for my story, history or what ever you'd call it!

i became into the game when i found an old one in the back of a closet while cleaning and my mom gave it to me. i started making my family and friends play it, playing it alone or even using it as a barbie house-seriously anything. when i was 8-9 i found one at a garage sale and grabbed it right away (it was the 1986) and i thought the artwork was fabulous. my best friends father was an ebay junkie berfor i even knew what the h*ll it was and he found master detective and museum caper for me for my birthday. then i found the one that is still my favorite!! we were at a flea market and there was a 1962! i managed to pay only $15 for that and a few collector albums (the beatles red and blue-still in plastic) and was extremely thrilled. i got others here and there until i found ebay myself (thanks to the folks here who told me to try it!) and am now swimming and clue items (with my grandma in shock everytime i get a new one!!) i have now found an interest in international versions and have a friends sister getting me a japenese cluedo (hopefully) in which i will have to wait another week for!! i am all to excited!!!
Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless b!tch