NPR Story About the New Clue

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Myron Floren
Suspect

NPR Story About the New Clue

Post by Myron Floren »

Hi - long time lurker here, finally decided to register to post this story:
Hasbro Gives Clue Board Game A Makeover
"We wanted something that the mom or dad who's bringing home for the family [could say], 'This is what I remember, and this is what I want to play with my kids,' " Daviau says. "At the same time, we wanted something the kids would feel like it belonged to them. And this is something that's very appealing to them. So we tried to blend those two worlds. It plays like Clue, it feels like Clue, but it just feels like Clue that would have been created in the 21st century."
They're attempting to fix something that wasn't broken in my opinion.

Depboy
Missing Person

Re: NPR Story About the New Clue

Post by Depboy »

"We wanted something that the mom or dad who's bringing home for the family [could say], 'This is what I remember, and this is what I want to play with my kids,' " Daviau says.
Yeah because starting a "rumor" about celebrity football player Mustard whacking someone in the head with a baseball bat in the observatory is exactly what the parents would remember about playing Clue. :roll:

Fail

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I have no problem with the new game, but I just think they should have added rooms to the nine rooms (MD style)...

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum »

Depboy wrote:
"We wanted something that the mom or dad who's bringing home for the family [could say], 'This is what I remember, and this is what I want to play with my kids,' " Daviau says.
Yeah because starting a "rumor" about celebrity football player Mustard whacking someone in the head with a baseball bat in the observatory is exactly what the parents would remember about playing Clue. :roll:

Fail
Yeah! What a laugh! NOOOOOOT! Image
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

kova
Detective

Post by kova »

Depboy wrote:

Fail
My guess on the meaning of that statement is the characters are there minus Colonal and Professor (which I have never heard one addressed as Professor Waddydo) and the game play is still deduction (a screwy way with the second murder). Most people play a few times in childhood and do other things and may not be as obessed as we are. How many of us have played with people that said they knew how but actually forgot. That's what they are banking on. Listen to the interview, they were trying to appeal for people that rarely played and not players like us. The Interviewee seems skeptical as well.

Not sure I agree that if you are trying to make Plum the smart guy, a video game designer would signal that. A Scientist or PhD yes, video gamer no. Just artistic.

Even with these complaints, changing the weapons and rooms I can deal with (how many of us like the Simpsons, Scooby Doo, Hitchcock, ect versions).

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev »

I will wait to render my judgement until I get the game, but personally, I feel rather nervous, and worried.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

I'm kinda starting to like this game, actually. I got used to the suspects, exept Plum, I HATE the way he looks, but I love the others, and this game is really fun with alot of people, I played with five and it was great. Someone knew the solution but was murdered on their way to the pool.

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum »

Poirotfrmda818 wrote:I got used to the suspects
Now you come to mention it, so have I! In fact, I'm trying to build an ensemble of Lego minifigs based on these suspects. Trouble is, I'm using BrickLink to get my stuff, so it could take a long while...
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

The thing I have a problem with is that we can't see their whole face at one time! :?

Depboy
Missing Person

Post by Depboy »

I dunno if anyone has mentioned this elsewhere, but on the official hasbro clue site, if you click on game catalog and go to the new version of the game there is a link to a television commercial for the new game.

Badger24601
Snoop

Post by Badger24601 »

There's a TV commercial? Interesting... I don't know about this whole revamped version. It just seems less family oriented.
I'M SHOUTING I'M SHOUTING I'M SHOUT--

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

And more children oriented sadly.

Depboy
Missing Person

Post by Depboy »

Badger24601
Snoop

Post by Badger24601 »

The nice thing about clue is you can play it with two or three generations of family. Now I try to picture my grandparents playing this and I honestly can't.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

OMG! "Miss Scarlet with a heart of poison" They could have done better, and oh, I don't know, shown the **** faces :evil: :evil:

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 »

Does anyone else feel that this would have better as a DVD game instead of the actual DVD game?

Badger24601
Snoop

Post by Badger24601 »

Interesting thought... yea, it probably would have made a better DVD game... I mean, that's something I could see myself buying. And, of course, with the audience they're aiming for, a DVD game probably would have sold better than a board game.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 »

After seeing that commerical a few more times, I think that this would defintely make a better DVD game than a board game.

kova
Detective

Post by kova »

The thing is with that commercial is the average person would be what's different. My Clue is exactly the same so why buy a new one. Or families thinking about buying a Clue have no idea that it's not just the art that has changed.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Yes, I think it would be a perfect DVD game