New Modern Clue Game

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Green
Detective

Post by Green »

There are two cards for every suspect, and they are displayed three times in total - the Suspect card, the Power side, and the Personality side. Appropriately, three different pictures are used for Scarlet. But she's the only one. Mustard has only one picture (flipped on the Suspect card), White has only one (again, flipped on the Suspect card), Green has two (his hand is in a different position on the Personality card), Peacock has two (the Suspect/Power picture is the same one but flipped, and then the Personality one is different), and Plum has the same picture on all three cards without even being flipped.

It's silly and inconsistent.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

****. I noticed that too and wanted to point it out but forgot amidst all the rest of the babble. Surprisingly, I wrote more commentary on this game that I hated than an of the games I actually liked.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation »

It's often like that. When I bash a movie or book, I often mean to add a point, but forget it.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Well at the Toronto art exhibit I'm in, I had been displaying my Clue cards for sale and have made point to onlookers to not buy the Deinvention.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock »

I can kind-of understand why this edition is listed as a "spin-off" on the site, but isn't it technically the 2008 "traditional" edition? As much as we hate it, this edition has become the CLUE all future editions will be modeled after, and as of now, it is the "traditional"/"standard" edition.

In regards to encouraging people not to buy this edition: that is a fine idea, if you want to kill CLUE's place in the game market. If people do not buy the new CLUE, Hasbro will notice. Then, since we all know how smart Hasbro is, they will say that CLUE has lost its popularity completely, and we could see it join the ranks of 221B BAKER STREET, TOTOPOLY, VENDETTA, and more. Now of course I am not suggesting that one person's campaign against the new edition is going to drive CLUE out-of-print, but it is not going to help its sales.

We would like to think that ignoring this new edition will prove something to Hasbro, and make them reproduce the classic game. I think we all know exactly how likely that is to happen. Besides, if a kid were to play the new CLUE and fall in love with the idea of the game, isn't it likely that he/she will, like everyone here, seek out other editions to experience and collect?
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

I debated where to place it in my lists. But I decided that since it's given a subtitle, that it's a subsection of the Clue genre. Not a traditional Clue game. If we see updated artwork of this edition in the future, then I'll change it. And worry...
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Quadsworth
Slueth

Post by Quadsworth »

Well it's about time it was added :) . I do think that it should've gone in the main section, but that's ok, I guess. I thought this game was dreadful (my friend got it for me recently). My main reason for liking clue is that there is more of a plot in clue than in other games. It feels like a developing story, unlike most board games. This game didn't really give me that feeling. I thought most of the changes were for the worst. The question mark cards were totally unnecessary and the power cards give people unfair advantages. The art was painful. I liked the messiness of the mansion, but was confused in other matters. Why do the rooms cast gigantic shadows? That really bothers me. Also, the fact that Green reflects his color in the background but none of the others do bothers me. I liked the "napkins" except for the fact that the words were typed. I felt that they should've been handwritten. In all the games I've played, I have never drawn even close to 8 clock cards. Well, that was my 2 cants.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock »

Quadsworth wrote:...My main reason for liking clue is that there is more of a plot in clue than in other games. It feels like a developing story, unlike most board games. This game didn't really give me that feeling...The art was painful...I liked the "napkins" except for the fact that the words were typed. I felt that they should've been handwritten...
That's been my biggest issue with this edition: there's absolutely NO REASON for any of these people to be at the mansion, and without an identity for the victim, no reason for these six people to want him/her/it dead.

I agree about the artwork. the suspect images I can live with, but the weapon cards are just CHEAP! The board is also the ugliest CLUE board I've ever seen.

As for the napkins, the letters are clearly printed in a font meant to resemble handwriting. Here's Michael's scan for reference: Image

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock »

:oops: That's a lot bigger than I expected it to be...

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

alwaysPeacock wrote:I can kind-of understand why this edition is listed as a "spin-off" on the site, but isn't it technically the 2008 "traditional" edition? As much as we hate it, this edition has become the CLUE all future editions will be modeled after, and as of now, it is the "traditional"/"standard" edition.

In regards to encouraging people not to buy this edition: that is a fine idea, if you want to kill CLUE's place in the game market. If people do not buy the new CLUE, Hasbro will notice. Then, since we all know how smart Hasbro is, they will say that CLUE has lost its popularity completely, and we could see it join the ranks of 221B BAKER STREET, TOTOPOLY, VENDETTA, and more. Now of course I am not suggesting that one person's campaign against the new edition is going to drive CLUE out-of-print, but it is not going to help its sales.

We would like to think that ignoring this new edition will prove something to Hasbro, and make them reproduce the classic game. I think we all know exactly how likely that is to happen. Besides, if a kid were to play the new CLUE and fall in love with the idea of the game, isn't it likely that he/she will, like everyone here, seek out other editions to experience and collect?

Personally I'd rather see Clue die out than have it's name tarnished.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock »

Sure.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

No, really. I mean, if the game has been reduced to the Reinvention, then what's the point of keeping it around? It isn't real Clue anyway.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock »

It might not be classic CLUE, but at it's core this new edition is still another CLUE game. Had the new gameplay techniques been applied to the 2003 edition, most of us would have probably embraced them as a great alternative way to play. People's biggest issue with this edition seems to be changes to the suspects, weapons, and rooms. Yes, they're very flawed, but are new players going to know that? I'd like to think that the essence of CLUE is still strong enough in this poorly updated edition to grab a hold of a new generation of players and collectors like us. So that way, like I say, "My first CLUE game was the 1996 edition, and my oldest is from 1963," some kid could say, "My first CLUE game is from 2008, my oldest is from 1992, and I've almost got one from 1963 on eBay!" one day.

But if it just goes away (which in reality is highly unlikely given it's #2 best-seller status) that can't happen, and really after the generation(s) represented here die off, who will bother to remember the game? Sure, this website and Cluedofan.com will still be here, but not forever. The games themselves are only paper and plastic; they probably won't be looking too good in another 100 years. At least not the editions made from 1986 to today (compare the quality of the boards and cards in the older editions to the ones we get today; you'll find they're much sturdier than newer, cheaper to produce copies).

So do I approve/applaud everything Hasbro did to the game with this facelift? No. I think the Hollywood mansion theme could have been pulled off a bit better. My biggest gripe is with the new suspect bios. I could live with the general characterizations, but without an identified victim to tie these six people together, there's no reason for me to care. Even when they were just "Mr. Boddy, his five friends, and his housekeeper" we had something linking these people together! I imagine Hasbro will notice the flaws in the new edition, and make up for it somehow. My guess would be an absolutely fabulous limited edition for the 75th or 100th Anniversary, revamping the classic game with flawless style. Those are milestones you don't ignore!

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

Am I the only one that still uses the classic names when playing the reinvention? I still say Col. Mustard and so forth.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation »

Same.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer »

I like the playing style of the game, but the artwork doesn't do too much for me. The two Clue games that I typically play are Reinvention and Clue FX.
"It is my opinion that your detective stories are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated, life-hating, ignoble minds."

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

So what's up with the stylized "U"? Does this bother anybody but me?

What's the point of the little tag hanging off the left of the U? Is it supposed to have some significance? I get the question mark, being sort of a dagger, but really, what is with that U?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

They were trying to be avant-garde. :)

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 »

Interestingly, I got this envelope with my copy of the reinvention:

http://www.cluedofan.com/cluedoims/merc ... velope.jpg

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

I just noticed something else strange.

What's with the separated square on the top of the "L"? It lines up with the backwards tag on the left of the "U", but sort of makes the "L" look like an "i".

Then there's the "C" which matches the style of none of the other letters. If the "C" matched the other letters it could have been some kind of stylization. As it is, it makes absolutely no sense!