New Modern Clue Game

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer »

i'm reserving my right to edit my post and change my opinion until i can later critique it
Last edited by munitzer on Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is my opinion that your detective stories are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated, life-hating, ignoble minds."

Green
Detective

Post by Green »

I haven't looked at the pictures in detail, but from what I've read in the forum so far, the biggest thing I have a problem with is football Mustard.

And I'm not a big fan of the room and weapon changes, particularly the Observatory and the Baseball Bat. I think I would've liked to see updated versions of the old rooms - maybe some sort of party room instead of the ball room, or an arcade instead of the billiard room (that might be stretching it though).

I also agree with munitzer - it would've been great to see a thumbprint theme, with a CSI look to it all.

Also not a fan of some of the names. Kasandra in particular. Jack is rather boring and Diane and Eleanor should've been switched. Why is it we can't get away from similar-sounding names? First John/Jonathon, now Jack/Jacob.

Edit: "Upon further investigation" (heh) from looking at the pictures, I really like the new looks to all of the characters and their backgrounds as well (though I still don't like Mustard's new story). The new pawn pieces are awful and I wish the rope wasn't plastic. I don't like how messy the checklists look either, although the napkin idea is clever.

Are the suspects photographs? I can't decide, but several of them look familiar (Mustard and Plum in particular, although I think Mustard's picture might look like one of the old puzzle Mustard pictures.)
Last edited by Green on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak »

It seems they attempted to include mutiple murder.

Too bad the way it goes about it is seriously flawed.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer »

i'm not crazy about the attempt to have multiple murders, and really disappointed that there isn't a clear outline of the host being murdered
"It is my opinion that your detective stories are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated, life-hating, ignoble minds."

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 »

Wow, quite disappointing...

I like the ideas of Scarlett, Green and Peacock, but the new stories for the rest are just idiotic and too modern cliche. I like some of the weapons. While they don't bother me that much, I think they could have come up with better weapons than the bat and the dumbbell.

The suspects' pictures aren't that great either, It looks like they were taken at a Sears somewhere, although Peacock does look good except for her flippy hair. 2002 Professor Plum, anyone?

The suspects also doesn't feel right without a title, even though they're all Misses and Misters, which is sad.

As for the new rooms, I like the Patio and Spa, but they really could be melded together, and the theater is good for a mansion in Hollywood, but Michael raises a good point. How often do you really see observatories in Hollywood? The artwork for the mansion is really bad and even worse computer generated. At least the 2002 mansion was somewhat stylish. I have to admit, I like the touch of overturned chairs in the Dining Room, makes me wonder what went down there.

I do like the elements of the gameplay like starting rumors and having to "hurry" before the murderer strikes but it seems kinda flawed. What if you're playing the murderer and you get murdered?

The Intrigue cards seem kind of unnecessary, and the Power/Personality cards seem irrelevant too.

For the pawns and weapon tokens, they were very disappointing and cheaply made, it looks, and I think we've all had quite enough of the plastic rope. I love the idea of using a napkin to mark off clues.

Overall, even though I haven't seen the game in person or played it, the pictures show me quite enough and it is really disappointing.
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 »

It also turns out I was right about Green being black. I think that's a good modern touch, but I don't think Plum is Asian. He seems more Indian or Mid-Eastern.
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

Post by CluedoAuthor12 »

I suppose I will post my review, as well...

I actually like the suspects, but I think they could've done better in keeping with the original occupations and titles (Colonel, Professor...)

I don't really like the board design that much, and why you have to go to the swimming pool of all places to make your final accusation.

I was kind of disappointed to see that the images of the weapon tokens were simply reproduced onto the weapon cards.

the playing pieces for the suspects are very plain, and I don't like those one bit.

I also don't think that the other elements of the game were really necessary, like the Personality cards and the idea of the murderer possibly getting murdered (???)

I expected more, but I still may get myself a copy sometime :|

Depboy
Missing Person

Post by Depboy »

I'm on lunch and opend mine and all I can say is wow...not at all what I was hoping. While it is good to have a new edition, the rules seem a little complicated, the suspects look like they got them from stock photographs and there are alot of weapons.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

Scarlet looks like Catherine Zeta-Jones. Green looks like Tyson Beckford.

I HATE the Peacock image. Love White. Plum was eh... could have been better. Mustard works as an updated version of a Colonel personality, I guess.

In LA, you wouldn't see stars for all of the smog. The observatory is pointless. I think the guest house is dumb too. Why didn't they just make it a bedroom?
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 »

I think that the art was lost on this game. Shame. :(

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

I see they moved the Scarlet starting space. It looks like some people will have distinct advantages to playing certain suspects in terms of how many spaces will get them into a room.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 »

Looking at those weapon tokens, they seem very brittle and easily breakable.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

And the weapons cards - as someone pointed out earlier - are highly disappointing. They should have made them look realistic. I hope this isn't a new trend.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 »

That was one of my disappointments as well. The poison doesn't even look like a bottle of poison. It looks more like a jar of peanut butter!

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

Post by CluedoAuthor12 »

I know, the absolute least they could've done to the Poison was give it a label... :?

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 »

To me, this is just a special edition.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

At least the people aren't those horrible cartoon things again. THAT would have made it terrible.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Yes, Green and White now have the best advantages with starting spaces.

The weapons and pawns are actually quite sturdy.

I just don't like the bios and White's picture is AWFUL!
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

Green
Detective

Post by Green »

That frustrating Kitchen door FINALLY got moved - but at Mustard's expense.

The board is awful, point blank.

Do you guys think White looks younger than Scarlet?

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 »

I don't like White, she doesn't even look glamorous.

Anyways, did anyone notice that Peacock's suspect card has her hair flippy, but her Power card isn't flippy?