Is Boddy/Black an Aristocrat?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 4

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Given that most of Clue has been set at a English country house, is it possible that Mr. Boddy/Dr. Black is a part of the English Peerage/part of European nobility?

(Male/Female, Highest to Lowest)
Emperor/Empress
King/Queen
Archduke/Archduchess
Prince/Princess
Duke/Duchess
Marquess/Marchioness
Earl (Count)/Countess
Viscount/Viscountess
Baron/Baroness
Baronet/Baronetess
Lord/Lady
Knight (Sir)/Dame
County Esquire

To me, I think Boddy would be part of the peerage.

In Franklin Mint, all owners of Hollinghurst Manor were Earls.
And the 2000s era, John Boddy's grandfather/Sir Hugh's father was an Esquire

Plus in most Clue media, beginning in the 90s, Boddy/Black said they had inherited the Clue Mansion (Tudor Close/Boddy Mansion)

Elrond
Slueth

Re: Is Boddy/Black an Aristocrat?

Post by Elrond »

I think it likely he would be part of the landed gentry but not an aristocrat. Apparently Sir Hugh was knighted, but that is an honour not a part of the aristocracy, and the title of Sir did NOT pass to one’s heirs.

Lord Gray is an example of an aristocrat. If one is an aristocrat, it outranks all other titles, so if Body or Black were aristocrats they would be called Lord

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

I admittedly don't know much about aristocracy. From the viewpoint of a naive American, I could see it working quite well, although it doesn't strike me as canon. He's influential, sure, but aristocratic?
I prefer Peacock's adjacency to the aristocracy. Desperate to marry in for her own gain, but never quite shimmying in close enough. Although that may just be season 1 episode 1 talking.
ImageImageImageImage

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I've always liked the idea that their days of actual nobility are LONG gone. Generations have gone by and their egos haven't caught up yet - despite the dwindling money and growing list of enemies. They still use self-assigned vanity titles (Lord, Sir, Earl) which hold nothing other than the attention of the small-townsfolk. It would give them something to lose - their image - when blackmail and murder knock on their doors.

I will agree with Zoo on Peacock's status. For the sake of simplicity I would marry her off to: Sir Peacock in England - Senator Peacock in America - or Viscount Peacock in Canada.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

In the Dutch edition, Sir Hugh Black is called Baron Humberto Swart

Also Mr.Boddy/Dr. Black is called Count Eutin in Germany

So there have been times where the victim was an aristocrat

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

I also feel to mention that Mr. Boddy knew Edward VIII, Prince of Wales, and was one of his fifty guests for his 30th birthday in the Clue Mysteries books. In the books, they refer him as “David”, given his full name was Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David.

So I assume that the Black family has connections to the Royal British Family, possibly due to Sedgewick Black, Esq., grandfather of Boddy, was a county squire. Sir Hugh mostly like was knighted by Queen Victoria, possibly due his services for the British Army.