Clue - 35th Anniversary Film Edition (BIG Images and Advice Needed)

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

guardianmonkey
Suspect

Clue - 35th Anniversary Film Edition (BIG Images and Advice Needed)

Post by guardianmonkey »

Heyo! I've been a huge fan of Clue since I was a child, mostly due to the film. I've been toying with designing a film version of the game since one has never been produced. Over the 12 months or so in anticipation of the 35th anniversary, I've been sketching and gluing and researching and loving all of the other people that have come up with versions of their own!

I am still working on mine but I figured I'd share some progress and hopefully get some solid feedback.
If you've got *ANY* thoughts or advice regarding this project, please let me know!
I've been reaching out to friends, coworkers, anybody that will listen, trying to get some good feedback. I need a sounding board to work best!

I wanted to use the version of the game that I grew up with as a baseline, which just so happens to match the retro-edition pretty closely. So far, I've got custom tokens, evidence cards, envelope, box, pencils, evidence pad, instructions, and I'm adding in action cards as well. I am working with another user {(Marc Wagner from RPF) https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/c ... ed.305071/} suggesting to some edits to the totally fantastic version of the board he designed. I've made constant tweaks to the cards and designs since I've started, so many that I need to just stop already!

The text on the back (as well as "or Mystery at Tudor Close") comes directly from the original 1949 back-of-the-box, the version of the game that I figured would be in use in 1954, the setting of the movie.

For my version, I decided to include Yvette and Wadsworth as playable characters, as they feature prominently in the film.

The pawns were taken from the end credits. I couldn't find any version with a high enough resolution to work as character cards but I think they work quite smartly as pawns. Note that Yvette is on the clear stand, which hides her fishnet stockings underneath.

Here you can see my multiple iteration of the character cards. Originally I thought quotes would look good but it ended up crowded. I was going to use the original game pawns but decided against it.

I am still tweaking these -- particularly the actors' name placement/treatment. These were a bit of a pain, especially Colonel Mustard! I went through many different options and landed on those glamour shots everybody took, each brandishing a different weapon. There are HQ version of *all* the characters ... except for Mustard! I sourced the images as best I could, tracking down the Starlog magazine that I remembered from childhood. And wouldn't you know it, Mustard's is still the hardest to work with!

Note in the final version of the Mrs. White card that the noose will overlap the color bar. I have been toying with the notion of doing the same for Wadsworth tray of murder.

The weapon cards have been a huge pain. I want to use as much imagery directly from the film as possible. For the longest time, I was trying to superimpose the weapons over an image of a black gift box with purple ribbon -- just like how they got in the movie! But I proved too weak of a designer and couldn't make it work. The full image cards are nice but don't flow well with the rest of the card designs. Going back to the film, I decided to replace the black box with a stack of "evidence photos," the kind that end up burned before the movie was over. I think I've settled on that particular design, now to find the best screengrabs I can get.

I was hoping for "in-use" but a lot of the those shots are poor for static use. I may well settle on pics of the weapons actually in people's hands.

I don't remember quite where I saw "action" cards but, once I did, I knew I needed them for my game. How better to feature all the great quotes from the movie! For my version, each player starts with 3 action cards and may play any 1 card during their turn, in lieu of moving/accusing. The player and the player on their left must recite the quotes before the action takes place.

I took the card backs from the end credits. Instead of "Parker Brothers," I replaced that with the specific murders from the movie, in order, and including each ending. "YVETTE WITH THE CANDLESTICK IN THE HALL • MISS SCARLET WITH THE WRENCH IN THE LOUNGE", etc. The blue back is for the action cards, while the red one with the thumb print (also from the credits) will be for the evidence cards.

After reading that the original game used a black envelope, I immediately knew what to do for my version!

The evidence pad was a big head-scratcher. I played with a lot of different ideas before seeing that a particular version {Clue: Discover the Secrets (2008)} used a dinner napkin. PERFECT! Cantonese monkeys' brains can be messy, am I right? This one needs further work -- they never say "knife" in the film, only "dagger."

Thanks to Miss Scarlet and her ugly habit, I've got a unique use of writing utensils. These are prototypes, as I need better decal paper for final use, but the cigarette case is perfect.

My rules work as a trifold, being held in the manila envelope that Wadsworth opens. The letter that each of the suspects received (or at least my version thereof) acts as the "intro" panel to the whole thing. I based the rules off of the retro edition, incorporated in the tweaks of the film version and added a house rule or two.

I still haven't come up with anything for the die quite yet but, at this point, I'm thinking a black die with white dots, simple & classy. Plus there's nothing to mine from the movie in regard to dice!

Mr_Scarlett
Snoop

Re: Clue - 35th Anniversary Film Edition (BIG Images and Advice Needed)

Post by Mr_Scarlett »

I too am a huge fan of both the game and the movie, and have wanted a move-style edition of the game for a long while! I've often thought about making my own custom one over the years, but have nowhere near the level skill that you have!

I've been following you on Instagram and Marc Wagner on RPF and honestly think that an official release couldn't look any better! I really love what you have done!

PLEASE consider producing a few extra copies for sale!

I always thought a movie-style game would have "But here's what really happened." on the envelope!

Here's an idea for your dice, I also thought the dice would have 1. 1+1. 1+2. 1+2+1. 1+2+1+1 on them instead of dots!?
Last edited by Mr_Scarlett on Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
GRRRRRRRRREAT! We'll ALL go to the chair!

guardianmonkey
Suspect

Post by guardianmonkey »

Mr_Scarlett wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:01 pm I too am a huge fan of both the game and the movie, and have wanted a move-style edition of the game for a long while! I've often thought about making my own custom one over the years, but have nowhere near the level skill that you have!

I've been following you on Instagram and Marc Wagner on RPF and honestly think that an official release couldn't look any better! I really love what you have done!

PLEASE consider producing a few extra copies for sale!

I always thought a movie-style game would have "But here's what really happened." on the envelope!

Here's an idea for your dice, I also thought the dice would have 1. 1+2. 1+2+1. 1+2+1+1 on them instead of dots!?
That die idea -- TERRIFIC! Now, how to put it into real life ...

As far as selling, I feel a little iffy about the whole thing. I'm clearly just an enthusiast and wouldn't want to get entangled in any legal woes that might come from using so much of a corporation's IP. Plus, I wouldn't know the first place to start! Then again, I've had a lot of people remark that they'd be interested and Marc is giving it a go so ... maybe! I hope to have a "final product" before summer ends, that may be a better time to figure out such things.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

I saw this earlier and couldn’t wait to reply as you have done a fantastic job so far! I agree that a retail version probably wouldn’t look any better, the choices you have made are pretty much some do the best that could be done - I love the ‘but here’s what really happened’ on the envelope, and the cigarette pencils are spot on too.

guardianmonkey
Suspect

Post by guardianmonkey »

What's the way to get the best results? COLLABORATION!

Thank you, @Mr_Scarlet, for the brilliant suggestion! My partner noted that it might be a little cumbersome while playing but isn't that the entire point?! In my game, players MUST speak out the results of their die-roll before moving ... because I'm a stinker :twisted:

Mr_Scarlett
Snoop

Post by Mr_Scarlett »

guardianmonkey wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:21 pm What's the way to get the best results? COLLABORATION!

Thank you, @Mr_Scarlet, for the brilliant suggestion! My partner noted that it might be a little cumbersome while playing but isn't that the entire point?! In my game, players MUST speak out the results of their die-roll before moving ... because I'm a stinker :twisted:
That's exactly what I had in mind! Really looking forward to seeing the end product and hopefully being able to own a set!

A definite YES to having to read the result aloud in the rules! 🎲🎲

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

Well this is an amazing job. Kudos to you. Cant wait to see how it all turns out. You definitely can't sell this. You would get shut down so fast it would hurt haha.

That said, you could certainly post it online for download. I have done that with a few pieces of Paramount IP.

I hesitate to offer any input as armchair advice is easy to come by, especially when you are doing the heavy lifting.

But I think you need to Keep a few things in mind. The movie was inspired by the 1979 edition. Maintaining that artwork and design would go a long way toward keeping the spirit alive. There are lots of things about the 1986 edition I don't like. But that's just me. I've actually updated the 1972 edition with good results which would fit nicely here.

I would also think about adding more rooms -- like the bathroom, driveway, cellar, attic, bedroom, playroom, etc. -- in order to add more characters ... kind of a master detective edition. If you keep the 1972 design for the board, you can use the official blueprint floorplan ( which I have modified and posted here in these forums) to create a more minimally designed board with a similar concept -- fabrics and room designs that distinguish the spaces instead of layouts.

As for the weapons, I'd create your own photos. It would be easy to find reproductions of the real weapons, and photograph them in the black boxes. It'll take a lot more work, but the end result will be amazing. And are there additional weapons we could legitimately add for a MD kind of edition? Poison would not be out of the question here since several guests they may have been.

Anyway that's my two cents ...
Last edited by Murder by Death on Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Duplicate

guardianmonkey
Suspect

Post by guardianmonkey »

Murder by Death wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:22 pm Well this is an amazing job. Kudos to you. Cant wait to see how it all turns out. You definitely can't sell this. You would get shut down so fast it would hurt haha.

That said, you could certainly post it online for download. I have done that with a few pieces of Paramount IP.
I've never intended that this project would be a money-making affair so that won't be a problem. There are friends that have started asking about different custom games as gifts but that's a whole different thing.
Murder by Death wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:22 pm I hesitate to offer any input as armchair advice is easy to come by, especially when you are doing the heavy lifting.
I'll take all advice! I won't necessarily use any of it but I certainly welcome different points of view and opinions. I've already gotten the boffo idea for the die from a user here.
Murder by Death wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:22 pm But I think you need to Keep a few things in mind. The movie was inspired by the 1979 edition. Maintaining that artwork and design would go a long way toward keeping the spirit alive. There are lots of things about the 1986 edition I don't like. But that's just me. I've actually updated the 1972 edition with good results which would fit nicely here.
Is that a definite, that the movie was based on that specific version of the game? I've been doing a lot of research throughout this project and never came across that fact. I've leaned towards the 86 version due to 1) it being the one I grew up playing, often after watching the movie on VHS and 2) the availability of the in-hand template via the Retro edition.

And are there specific things you don't like about the 86 version? It's really the only one I can remember playing other than Clue Museum Caper :)
Murder by Death wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:22 pm I would also think about adding more rooms -- like the bathroom, driveway, cellar, attic, bedroom, playroom, etc. -- in order to add more characters ... kind of a master detective edition. If you keep the 1972 design for the board, you can use the official blueprint floorplan ( which I have modified and posted here in these forums) to create a more minimally designed board with a similar concept -- fabrics and room designs that distinguish the spaces instead of layouts.
I've been toying with the board an awful lot. I'm still in line to get one of Marc Wagner version of the board but I've already got a lot of different ideas. Once I got ahold of the movie storybook with the floorplan of the mansion, I couldn't stop trying to think of a way to make it work. Then I realized the gameboard didn't need to be square :p I tend to get stuck in one lane with these sorts of creative projects.

Murder by Death wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:22 pm As for the weapons, I'd create your own photos. It would be easy to find reproductions of the real weapons, and photograph them in the black boxes. It'll take a lot more work, but the end result will be amazing. And are there additional weapons we could legitimately add for a MD kind of edition? Poison would not be out of the question here since several guests they may have been.

Anyway that's my two cents ...
That's an interesting proposition. I've just recently been dipping my toe into movie replica collecting and Clue weapons are on the list. Then again, I am really love using assets directly from the film or inspired by as much as possible. I've got a few more ideas percolating.

And thanks so much! If you've got more thoughts, please share!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

guardianmonkey wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:45 pm
Murder by Death wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:22 pm But I think you need to Keep a few things in mind. The movie was inspired by the 1979 edition. Maintaining that artwork and design would go a long way toward keeping the spirit alive. There are lots of things about the 1986 edition I don't like. But that's just me. I've actually updated the 1972 edition with good results which would fit nicely here.
Is that a definite, that the movie was based on that specific version of the game? I've been doing a lot of research throughout this project and never came across that fact. I've leaned towards the 86 version due to 1) it being the one I grew up playing, often after watching the movie on VHS and 2) the availability of the in-hand template via the Retro edition.
Murder by Death wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:22 pm I would also think about adding more rooms -- like the bathroom, driveway, cellar, attic, bedroom, playroom, etc. -- in order to add more characters ... kind of a master detective edition. If you keep the 1972 design for the board, you can use the official blueprint floorplan ( which I have modified and posted here in these forums) to create a more minimally designed board with a similar concept -- fabrics and room designs that distinguish the spaces instead of layouts.
I've been toying with the board an awful lot. I'm still in line to get one of Marc Wagner version of the board but I've already got a lot of different ideas. Once I got ahold of the movie storybook with the floorplan of the mansion, I couldn't stop trying to think of a way to make it work. Then I realized the gameboard didn't need to be square :p I tend to get stuck in one lane with these sorts of creative projects.
I made the storybook floor plan work. There’s a whole post on it I did a decade ago. You may not agree, but it works.

As for the edition the movie is based on, well the movie came out in 1985 and went into pre-production starting in 1984. There were no other versions of the game available. The 1986 edition came well after the movie went into production. Even the cards used in the movie were from the 1979 edition update of the original 1972 version. Also consider the color costume convention was not established in the 70s édition much the same as the movie, where the cars were aligned to the character color, instead of their clothing.

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2712/40 ... 9d68_b.jpg

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2545/40 ... d128_b.jpg

Here's another interesting thread.

https://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewt ... 7&start=20

https://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1925

This idea has been kicked around for a long time around here.

And some related links with some fun graphics to mull over:

https://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4515

https://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10483

https://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewt ... 7b1405df4b

https://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5268

https://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2517

https://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=463

Anyway, this is all your taste and préférence. The same for each of us. So do what you like. You do you! ;-)

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I haven't commented on this, because every time I come here I get distracted by how beautiful it is.

This is beautiful. I love seeing fan-made projects. The box is gorgeous. I'm a huge fan of the characters on the side panel.

I love the dice idea so much! The cigarette pencils are perfect! Great job! A movie game has been a fantasy for all of us for a while. You could totally make money (at least off of me) making some of these on etsy.

guardianmonkey
Suspect

Post by guardianmonkey »

cacums wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:58 pm I haven't commented on this, because every time I come here I get distracted by how beautiful it is.

This is beautiful. I love seeing fan-made projects. The box is gorgeous. I'm a huge fan of the characters on the side panel.

I love the dice idea so much! The cigarette pencils are perfect! Great job! A movie game has been a fantasy for all of us for a while. You could totally make money (at least off of me) making some of these on etsy.
Thank you so very much! I think I'll open myself up to doing one-offs for people but I certainly don't have the ... let's say, inclination to try and turn out anything in a larger sense. These projects are meant for my own personal enjoyment firstly, it's just gravy that others seem to like them!
Murder by Death wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:00 pm
Anyway, this is all your taste and préférence. The same for each of us. So do what you like. You do you! ;-)
You'd mentioned problems that you had with the 1986 versions -- is it with gameplay or presentation?

And since you made such a strong case for the 1972 version, my brain is now colonized:

While necessary tweaks are evident (the character "color" needs to be incorporated in, etc), I think this might work even nicer than the 86 version, particularly after looking at the board! I love the abstractions of the rooms on the board.

Having said that, does anybody have a nice HQ scan of said board? Nothing that is stock will work "just right" for my project but it's a lovely starting point!

Mr_Scarlett
Snoop

Post by Mr_Scarlett »

guardianmonkey wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:39 am
cacums wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:58 pm I haven't commented on this, because every time I come here I get distracted by how beautiful it is.

Thank you so very much! I think I'll open myself up to doing one-offs for people but I certainly don't have the ... let's say, inclination to try and turn out anything in a larger sense. These projects are meant for my own personal enjoyment firstly, it's just gravy that others seem to like them!
You'd mentioned problems that you had with the 1986 versions -- is it with gameplay or presentation?

And since you made such a strong case for the 1972 version, my brain is now colonized:

While necessary tweaks are evident (the character "color" needs to be incorporated in, etc), I think this might work even nicer than the 86 version, particularly after looking at the board! I love the abstractions of the rooms on the board.

Having said that, does anybody have a nice HQ scan of said board? Nothing that is stock will work "just right" for my project but it's a lovely starting point!
Those cards are unbelievable! I've got the very game with the matching card backs and your cards would fit right in! Put me down for a "one off".

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Oh my God! Where did you find the full scan of Martin Mull posing with the wrench? I've never seen that anywhere except in small res.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Those cards look incredible!

guardianmonkey
Suspect

Post by guardianmonkey »

CluedoKid wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:15 pm Oh my God! Where did you find the full scan of Martin Mull posing with the wrench? I've never seen that anywhere except in small res.
It's an unfortunate scan of the physical copy of Starlog Magazine I tracked down. I was seeking that specific image for a pretty long while, even before I was sure it actually existed. I will never be able to fully rest until I find a proper, clean version of that photo!

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

This is a fantastic go, so many good ideas at play!!! The dice, the cigarette pencils, the gameplay cards, all wonderful touches, this is wonderful :0

I don't have *many* suggestions of much note... but I might recommend making the five side of the die "One + Two + One + One," but other than that, I'm excited to see what you do with the board
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

guardianmonkey wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:39 am

I don’t like the look of the 1986 game. The artwork, and particularly the board. It’s very generic looking to me. But that may have been the intent to imply the movie.

I may have a full HQ as an of the ‘72 board. I made so many scans when doing my own modernized Version of it.if I have one I’ll PM you.

I’m sad to say I had all of the Starlog magazines, including that Clue edition. I think I actually threw them away when I packed up to move after college.

guardianmonkey
Suspect

Post by guardianmonkey »

Murder by Death wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:47 pm I don’t like the look of the 1986 game. The artwork, and particularly the board. It’s very generic looking to me. But that may have been the intent to imply the movie.

I may have a full HQ as an of the ‘72 board. I made so many scans when doing my own modernized Version of it.if I have one I’ll PM you.

I’m sad to say I had all of the Starlog magazines, including that Clue edition. I think I actually threw them away when I packed up to move after college.
The more I toy around with these 72 card designs, the more I come around to them. I haven't quite licked how to apply the appropriate color to the character cards but I am trying!

As for throwing stuff away, it's always been a downer for me as well. I had a big purge a number of years ago and a week doesn't go by that I don't kick myself.

If you come across that scan, I'd greatly appreciate it. Work and now Halloween have wedged themselves between myself and my project but I'm determined to keep moving forward with it.

Mr_Scarlett
Snoop

Post by Mr_Scarlett »

guardianmonkey wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:56 am
Murder by Death wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:47 pm I don’t like the look of the 1986 game. The artwork, and particularly the board. It’s very generic looking to me. But that may have been the intent to imply the movie.

The more I toy around with these 72 card designs, the more I come around to them. I haven't quite licked how to apply the appropriate color to the character cards but I am trying!

As for throwing stuff away, it's always been a downer for me as well. I had a big purge a number of years ago and a week doesn't go by that I don't kick myself.

If you come across that scan, I'd greatly appreciate it. Work and now Halloween have wedged themselves between myself and my project but I'm determined to keep moving forward with it.
There's a French version of those cards that have the colours too!
Attachments
1974_14.jpg
1974_14.jpg (9.92 KiB) Viewed 373 times
1974_10.jpg
1974_10.jpg (9.97 KiB) Viewed 373 times